Sign in to follow this  
xenocracy_2001

Offline Playing Microsoft Flight Alaska Addon ond Hawaii ?

I can't remember the last time I bought a packaged product on cd or dvd

I'd hate to tell you how many games I've lost because I lost or damaged the distribution media. I haven't lost a software package yet since switching to downloadable software. Heck, even Windows 8 is going to be a downloadable package! I like the new world.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't expect Microsoft to go out of business before you no longer have any wish to install Flight on any future system you will have at that point.

My point exactly. :wink:

However, if anyone really is that paranoid about downloadable software distribution, then by all means, just buy games which are available on CD/DVD. Personally, my computer doesn't even have a CD/DVD drive, so I'm more worried about a company that doesn't make its software available via download. Even FSX is now a downloadable product.

In case you didn't know: the last few games I bought on DVD all required online connections to register and quite often you needed to be online in order to play the game...! :wink: It must have been YEARS since you bought a game on DVD! :smile:

It must have been YEARS since you bought a game on DVD!

Yeah. Can't even remember what my last DVD game was. I've been sitting here for a few minutes trying to remember. I THINK it may have been GTA San Andreas, which would make it around 2004. I no longer have the DVD, though, since I got it as part of a bundle on Steam later on. Couldn't say for sure, though. I THINK I remember getting that as a boxed package...

Well when Live was down earlier today I could still load the game, Alaska and all of Hawaii were still there to fly around and so were my planes. But I could not view my achievements, aerocaches etc without being signed in. So I suppose you`d still have the game, but you would lose your progress.

As I got mine through Steam I wonder if it went down would I be able to get access to the game?

It must have been YEARS since you bought a game on DVD!

Funny, I just picked up FSX Gold on disc this past week. It's probably my first non-digital download in a few years. It's nice to see a box on the shelf and know I can fire it up and enjoy the game without worrying about a network connection or Live and Steam downtime.

Funny, I just picked up FSX Gold on disc this past week. It's probably my first non-digital download in a few years. It's nice to see a box on the shelf and know I can fire it up and enjoy the game without worrying about a network connection or Live and Steam downtime.

Maybe the new FSX discs have changed, but the one I have requires an internet connection to register the game. You have a few weeks before the game stops working if you don't register. But maybe MS removed that protection from the discs by now...?

Maybe the new FSX discs have changed, but the one I have requires an internet connection to register the game. You have a few weeks before the game stops working if you don't register. But maybe MS removed that protection from the discs by now...?

Already done, so no worries about a connection to enjoy the full game offline without losing any achievements or progression. (Worst case, I think you can activate over the phone too without an internet connection.) I have plenty of digital download games, but I will lose full or partial access to some of them, unless I plan ahead and go into offline mode before any internet outages or service downtime. Of course, there's no way to predict those, so I usually find myself stuck when the game services or my ISP goes out. My connection was down last week for hours and Xbox Live was out yesterday, so this isn't just theoretical. Obviously, digital downloads and always on connections are here to stay, but it's nice to see how things used to be without those requirements (and LAN play without going over the internet is also a plus).

Sorry, I didn't intend to get into a debate on the subject. I just saw your statement about not buying games on DVD and thought I'd share my recent contrary feelings about how nice it was to have old-school discs in hand for the first time in years.

There are pros and cons of each approach, but as connectivity becomes more ubiquitous and reliable I just don't see myself ever putting a DVD drive back in my system. I've only had one internet outage in the past three years, and it only lasted an hour or so. Even then, I could always tether my cell phone for "emergency" connectivity if needed.

On the other had, don't you just hate it when you get to the third DVD in an install (which takes longer than a similar sized download install for me) and there is a bad sector on the disc? Now you have to see if you can pay for a replacement disc and wait for the company to ship it (assuming they even will do that).

I really like having the cloud keep my installation files automatically.

If I had a poor, unreliable internet connection I could see the advantage of old school physical media. I guess I'm just spoiled with good connectivity. Once most of the United States catches up with the rest of the world in terms of last-mile bandwidth, I'm guessing we will see the final nail in the physical distribution media coffin.

I am interested to see if the posters above still feel today, post mortem "Flight"; the way they did a month ago.

Hello

Anyone who supported PSS in the past can testify that there are dangers with D/L addons with online registration schemes many, myself included lost a lot when that company went bust

I am interested to see if the posters above still feel today, post mortem "Flight"; the way they did a month ago.

Yes. Nothing has changed with regards to Flight being playable offline.