Sign in to follow this  
AkulaR32

What Hardware Do You Use for Flight?

I simply have removed the assignement of the twist stick axis: before you know it you apply unwanted rudder with it (all the time) which also rules out any other assignement...

I did the same thing.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

damn....I find that too. I've found myself applying a lot of rudder, especially in tense situations. Need pedals.

damn....I find that too. I've found myself applying a lot of rudder, especially in tense situations. Need pedals.

LOL I know exactly what you mean. Before you know it you twist that darned thing! :wink:

CH Yoke but with the gear and flaps switches removed from the yoke body and attached to the desk.

ATI Radeon HD 6990 with five monitors.

Saitek throttle and combat rudder pedals.

Intel 2600K with sandy bridge.

This setup feels very real.

This setup feels very real.

Set up looks great too..... ummm .. only thing missing is the seat belt.

I started with flight simulator version 1 with the most recent sims being FSX and X-plane.

Im not one to envy the large cockpits ive seen some people design and create, but im sure they are fun too. I just go with what i think works best for me.

At one point with FSX i bought the saitech rudder pedals, and Track - IR.

Cant beelive im seeing so many track IR posts here.

Since then i found FacetrackNoIR to be better than TrackIR as it doesnt use any infred red lights at all, just pure motion sensing. Even so i dont even use that anymore either. A hat switch works fine, requires no effort.

After much use i sold my rudder pedals about a year later, after deciding i just prefer using two joysticks.

This has been pretty much my defacto setup through-out most my simming history. One stick (a microsoft joystick in this case) I use just for rudder left right (left hand), and only edit the up and down for throttle while in a heli, otherwise i just use slider throttle. Seems a few people have posted the frustration of the twist rudder on the Pro. This illiminates that.

The second stick is all the rest of the controls and i use the Logitech Pro 3d (right hand).

I actually despise using rudder on the same stick as the other controls as it isnt smooth enough in my opinion when mixed in tandem with the other axis's being used so the twist on the Logitech is disabled.

I have a throttle quandrant but dont have it where im at currently. The slides on the two joysticks work fine for that anyways. Other than mapped buttons on the sticks, the rest is all keyboard.

The mouse for Flight seems to work very smooth for simple handling. For doing any sort of aerobatics I firmly beleive a stick is required if you are serious at all or dont want the table beating stress of trying to get the acheivements with the mouse. Keyboard rudder is not fun. lol.

Having multimonitor setup for FSX also to me is mandatory (at least 2). Flight not so much as of yet since we have no way of pulling up/dragging all the different displays/guages much less have a working garmin. For FSX I use one for my main view, the second for guages and gps. I used a second computer entirely for running a connected network of FSCommander. My main monitor was 40 inches. Second one was 22. Second computer used another 22.

Using one monitor for Flight in windowed mode with Gmap on my taskbar, and http://vfrmap.com/ on Firefox for when i need information.

I use a twisty stick - the Thrustmaster 16000 er whatever...

I can use the mouse to change eye point (press and hold the mousewheel down and then slide the mouse around) it mimics TiR.. sorta

No rudder pedals - no other peripherals - just keyboard, mouse and twisty stick - it was good enough for the Wright Bros

Since i saw many people posting about Track IR...

Track-IR is the stone ages. Strapping lights to your head. lol.

Thought id pass this on.

http://facetracknoir...ome/default.htm

It uses pure motion sensing of a web camera and nothing more. And its open source.

I used it with a PSEye, got nice fps, and even sees well in a very dark room.

webcams though..

not sure i understand your comment.

TRACK IR is a webcam with the filter removed, and is more expensive, and requires led's strapped to your head. A lot of people already own normal webcams. In my case, i had one for skype.

When so many people here discussed their enthusiasm for TrackIR I looked into a couple of the open source alternatives (including Facetrack Noir) since the price of TrackIR was steep. I found them to be difficult to keep centered properly and required a fairly well lit room to operate in. The light from my monitor in a dark room was nowhere near enough to make them work at all.

I also notice that the TrackIR camera has twice the refresh rate at the same resolution (or same refresh at half res) as the PS Eye camera. The camera I was using has the same basic specs as the PS Eye.

Since it does appear to operate better than the open source freeware motion tracking software I tried (based on several videos I saw of TrackIR in the community), I've been saving up for a TrackIR to try. They have a 30 day return policy, so I can try it out to see if it really is better than the open source motion detection software I tried.

Soon. Very soon...

I tried the home-grown stuff, and they do not work as well as TrackIR.

TrackIR doesn't use IR because it's "old fashioned"... . IR is just another form of light, and one that it can use without impacting your own vision.

Defining specific tracking-points, whether through light sources, reflectors, or simple colored markers is done in professional motion-capture due to the much greater precision it offers. I can't recall the special effects departments of any Hollywood blockbusters using webcam face recognition or Kinect-style motion capture... for good reason.

I tried the home-grown stuff, and they do not work as well as TrackIR.

TrackIR doesn't use IR because it's "old fashioned"... . IR is just another form of light, and one that it can use without impacting your own vision.

Defining specific tracking-points, whether through light sources, reflectors, or simple colored markers is done in professional motion-capture due to the much greater precision it offers. I can't recall the special effects departments of any Hollywood blockbusters using webcam face recognition or Kinect-style motion capture... for good reason.

I wonder what folks would consider up to date tracking, using "lasers" :Shocked:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I wonder what folks would consider up to date tracking, using "lasers" :Shocked:

Well, apparently, joystick hats and a mouse are the wave of the future.