Sign in to follow this  
Jucasim

Alaska - All Airports Journey

Hello folks,

I just want to share with you guys that yesterday i started a long and hopefully great journey to every single airfield in Alaska. I have no idea how much time (i guess months) it will take to visit them all.

Yesterday i began the journey from the Annette Island (PANT). The flight plan will follow a pattern. Every 100 nm radius i will choose a "base" airport and explore the scenery and land at all the airfields (land and water) in that radius.

I noticed that in some places there might not be an airfield in a 100 nm radius, so i think i´d have to improvise "base" landing spots or sometimes give a little explore area a little stretch.

I´ll be using mainly the RV-6, and the Icon for the water landings.

I already found some beautiful places and a huge bug concerning the difference between the menu map and the actual game scenery and airport positioning.

A little later I will post the screen shots of the map bug (have to reduce the size of the images), as well as some interesting places i found.

I just thought it would be nice to share! :friends:

------------------

Keep on flying!

Jucasim ( gamertag: Juca Piranga)

Wow... quite a goal you set yourself there! Good luck with it! It's not something I would ever consider doing. :wink: I was thinking about a journey from the far east of Alaska to the far right but after seeing how large Alaska really is I already cancelled the trip.

I noticed that in some places there might not be an airfield in a 100 nm radius, so i think i´d have to improvise "base" landing spots or sometimes give a little explore area a little stretch.

And I already noticed there is a region in Alaska where there are 100 airports within a few miles radius... Good luck with that part! :smile:

Anyway, keep us posted: would be nice to know how you are doing the coming weeks/monhs!

First two days:

Ended up using the Icon due to the fact that most airports in the area are water landing only.

Airports (started from the lower SE region): PANT, PAKT, Z43, PAMM, 5KE, 8KE, 8K9, 13Z, 4Z7, CZST (next to "4Z7", the forest was cleared at the same spot as this airport but the DEV Team for some reason didn´t place the actual airport and runways there), 9C0, KBE, 78K, PAKW.

Tried to explore the surronding areas as much as possible! Found some very unique places, as well as great landscapes!

I chose to fly in the spring, and changed the weather to "clear sky" for the pictures.

-----------

First a weird but beautiful place do land, it is carved inside the mountains in the SE cost...can u find it?

Two other screenshots from bautiful places in that region

Oh you mad, brave fool you.

There should be an Achievement Award for this, surely. That's a lot of flying, best of luck.

Blackrat

I really need some help from you guys!

It is really hard for me to figure where is the "runway" in those water airports. Almost every time i have to land in the water (using the rw heading info in the map) i miss the "runway" as it does not count for the airports visited stats...so most of time i have to take of and try again until i get it right . Any tips?

----------------------------------------------

And I already noticed there is a region in Alaska where there are 100 airports within a few miles radius... Good luck with that part!

As i´m flying from airport to airport (no jumping or skipping in the menu map ) i thing that those high concentration region are easier because i need just a few minutes to "cross out" one more airport in my list! :Thinking:

Oh you mad, brave fool you.

LoL, i know it´s crazy! But you know what, those two days i enjoyed all those planed flights and scenery. With such a huge area i "had a revelation" :Monkey: : i asked to myself "If flying all those Alaskan airports is almost crazy, how did i dare to get angry with the MSDev team for not releasing the entire world?

I sure miss some huge international flights, famous cities, or the freedom to chose another place to explore, but in my 22 years of flight simulator, i never really stopped to look and learnd those little beautifull parts of earth. Sincerely, before i just loaded a 737, got to 30.000 ft and passed right by it...sometimes with the "x16" time acceleration.

Now as i wait to get to my new destination, i grab my ipad and start to read a research about the specific area that i´m flying...and i tell you, there is A LOT of cool history and informations to learn about those places.....or, when i get bored i just play some blues in my harmonica and enjoy the ride! :dirol:

You must not be married!

Heh, my wife became fully supportive of my flight simming, as soon as I told her what a real plane would cost us.

You must not be married!

:lol: Air1, my plan is to fly as i call "the big journey" in about 3 months or so...and this is due to the fact that I AM really and happily married, have a beautiful 1 year old girl, and great friends. Me and my wife are lawyers and have our own Law Firm to take care of too.

I only get to my PC after my job is done, and my wife and baby are both asleep...than, and just than, i play the game and "blow some steam" listening some good old harmonica blues records for a few hours (1 or 2).

I really think that you brought up a very important issue...NEVER trade family, friends or job TIME for a pc game...it´s a trade that we are ALWAYS going to lose!

Heh, my wife became fully supportive of my flight simming, as soon as I told her what a real plane would cost us.

Hahahahaha.....nice tactics RoboRay!!

----------------------------------

You guys take care, and keep on flying! :hi:

My wife and I are both retired, but we take care of our one year old grandson about 12 hours a day five days a week. We also work voluneer jobs on the side. So you are right Jucasim, It is also late nights for me as well. My wife has always been suportive as long as I don't disappear for to long at a time. Good luck with your trip and welcome to the forum.

What you are trying to do is great but yes the water airports are a pain. I am up to 240 unique airports but I have not tackled the water fields yet. The ONLY way I have found to accurately find the water landings is to spawn and one side of the designated water landing area (almost always a direction), hit "M", back the plane up on the map and land straight ahead. Now, you are trying to visually find and land which is a noble task. However, in the RL you would have a chart with the exact location so it is 50/50 in my mind.

Good luck! Hope to join you one day with hitting all ~500

Damn. I clicked on this thinking it was new DLC. Alaska: All Airports Journey - An enhanced airport scenery and mission pack.

Oh well, one can only hope. Best of luck with your journey. I'm just working on the Centi-Explorer achievement.

Hello guys,

The past two days i have been flying a lot with the icon due to the huge amount of water airports in the region i was exploring. Now that those airports are cleared, i got to a big region with lots of land runways, witch means that i can finally fly faster with the RV-6...i was getting seasick :wacko: .

There goes a list of the airports "cleared": PWG, 68A, 19P, KBP, 96Z, KCC, KTB, KXA, HYL, PAHY, KWF, CGA, WSB, PAQC, PAKW, 16K, Z71, 57A, 5C5 AK62, PASI, A29, BNF, A23, KAE, PAFE, PAPG, 63A.

I have found to accurately find the water landings is to spawn and one side of the designated water landing area (almost always a direction), hit "M", back the plane up on the map and land straight ahead.

Good tip AZsoccer, works 100% of the time, thank you! Yesterday I found a way to land with 80% precision. You need to get to the airport region (check map) and land anywhere using the runway heading - for example: if the rw heading is N/S you get to the airport and land heading North or South, doesn't really matter where (inside the airport area)!

---------------

Keep on lying

Hello folks!

Since the last post i have landed at 31 more airfields: 2Z1, PAGN,CYM, 2Z6, TKE, PEC, PAEL, OOH, PAOH, A43, HWI, PANR, 5Z1, PAJN, 7AK2, TKL, EXI, PAGS, BQV, 3Z9, PAHN, 7K2, PAGY, AK76, A57, A69, A70, A67, 2Y3, AG8, and PAYA.

This time i used the P-51 to explore some large mountain areas since they are huge and would take too long to explore with the RV-6. In these "exploring flights" i takeoff and land at the same airport, since the idea is to make the journey with the RV-6 and Icon.

There goes some screenshots "clear skies" (although i´m flying preatty much on mixed weather) to better capture ground details:

Very nice jucasim, thanks