Sign in to follow this  
DreadMetis

Iditarod's Race, july 6th, the flight

First, let's get back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar : the idea of the Iditarod's flight is not mine. Stephan aka Duesselwings had the idea of making this thanks to a post that was started on Steam. You can find the thread here.

http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2785849

Stephan decided to make this race as a flightplan, with the use of Plan-G and Gmap. I must say all this could not have been done with all the feedback, advices, tricks & tests we have been seeing around here, and I want to thanks the community of Flight's pilots whose help is really appreciated :Applause:

The meeting time was friday, the 6th, departure at PANC, Anchorage. Plane : the Cub (and after my initial grunt, it was a good choice I must say). Lenght of flightplan is 859NM, last airport is Nome.

You can find a copy of the file used for the route there.

As there was some problems with the Live, it was a bit complicated to start on time alltogether. And as I had a surprising visit from a friend passing by late, I had to interrupt the flight after a landing at Tin Creek, with a persistent 12kts crosswinds and 45ft hight pines all around the place, trust me is was a hard landing even with the Cub !.

Another thing that is still a bit complicated when you want to use Gmap is that the screenshot key ("V") is not working anymore. So I have very few pics, only some on the ground just before I left, after around 4hrs of flying, fun water skying, being just "Wow" when we saw a big bridge in the middle of nowhere, travelled a snowy passage, changed weather 3 times (really sounds like Alaska !)...

If any of the other pilots could post their pictures here they are welcome :biggrin:

Hi!

Yeah! It was really fun to fly that plan and thanks to HEIMI, who had the initial idea of doing that! And thanks to the guy at Steam, who posted the informations about Idatarod.

And therefore, we did it spontaneous, there were a lot, who joined - even without having Gmap.

This hudge plan was my first try and I discovered, that it is a bit tricky because Plan-G, Gmap and the scenery in Flight is not 100% syncronized, so that the route doesn´t fit all the time exactly with the topography... But anway, we had an idea, where to fly and did it!! ;-)

Started friday at 08:06p.m. CEST, we have lost some pilots, who must sleep a bit ;-) - that was saturday, 04.00a.m. CEST. In Pitka the rest of the pilots changed to P-51, Corsair and Zero to make the rest to Nome. We arrived there at sat,05:35a.m. CEST. So, at the end it was a nearly 10hours Flight. To do all the plan with the Cub would have been approx. 13hours.... :blush: But it was fun and I have to thank all the guys, who joined the Flight!!

tour2.jpg

The next pic is too dark, but there you can perhaps see, that we turned off the names and THAT WAS FUN! It looks really good and we had the fact, that we must fly very closed to each other, in order to get not lost! Really an idea for the next sessions... ;) EDIT: HEIMIs pics are better to see it.... ;)

tour6.jpg

Looking forward to a next project! Thanks for joining and allway happy landings!

Stephan

Cheers, Stephan

i7 4790K @4,6Ghz (102x45), ASUS Maximus VII Hero, 16GB Corsair Venegance 1866, Corsair WC H100i, Gigabyte GTX 780 OC, 3x SSD (Win7, FSX, P3D), Dell UHD 27'", Saitek Homecockpit

Ups, my beg : Caesar was Heimi :blush:

Cool flight, I had great pleasure sharing this portion of the sky with you guys ! I hope you had fun with the waterski ! Wow, a 13h flight would have been a bit long indeed :lol: !!

It was really awesome! And teamspeak3 on the ipad is working pretty well. I will post some pics later.

Ok, it's not Iditarod's race, but same players in Alaska, so simplier to keep the thread for our flights pics here :acute:

So let's start, last night's flight I catched the flight late, but here are my pics (maybe not in exact order) :

Some bugs...

And a few more from the ground :

Oh and maybe you saw, but MSF team posted one pic from one of the "german/ int'l multiflyier" that I sent to them. You will recognize it (they posted 2 of my pics on the blog & on FB, for the Alaskan screenshots topic, the other one is the green& white RV-6 descending on foggy rwy)

Hum, the editor is showing strange behavior to me, there is a wandering "attached image"...

The pics I was talking about (last flight I was there) :