Sign in to follow this  
JoTayhen

ATC & The VFR/Bush Pilot

Can anyone provide some insight into whether or not any of the existing ATC addons has the capability to enhance the ATC experience of those of us who fly mostly VFR/bush routes?

I fly mostly in the PNW/BC/Alaska area and almost always am involved in bush charter activities. I routinely use MCE. I am hunting for a ATC pgm that will give me a more realistic experience regarding the routine communications that commonly occur in connection with these types of flights. Maybe better sounds, more realistic syntax and mood, more information such as wx conditions, etc. I do not involve myself in VATSIM because I feel my flying activities do not really qualify as something the other folks on-line would be interested in.

I have not experimented with any of the present ATC alternatives since I have felt they were all geared to the larger, more commercial a/c and route activities (IFR, SIDS, STARS, etc.) but I would gladly install one of these pgms if it would effectively also enhance the ATC experience of those of us who wander around the back country.

Any suggestions?

As a new MCE user I was wondering about this myself. In reading the Radar Contact 4 manual which is available on the web, it seems full FSS and non-towered airport operations are supported which is where a lot of my flying occurs.

MCE is also geared to work with RC4 which is a bonus.

At the moment for VFR, I am fairly happy with the FSX ATC in conjunction with the MCE voice control interaction, but I am sure at a point in the near future I will want more.

The only thing with the ATC addons (all of them) is the robotic sounding voices. Even with the avaialble voice pack addons that many of these have available, they still dont 'flow' well.

Can anyone provide some insight into whether or not any of the existing ATC addons has the capability to enhance the ATC experience of those of us who fly mostly VFR/bush routes?

I fly mostly in the PNW/BC/Alaska area and almost always am involved in bush charter activities. I routinely use MCE. I am hunting for a ATC pgm that will give me a more realistic experience regarding the routine communications that commonly occur in connection with these types of flights. Maybe better sounds, more realistic syntax and mood, more information such as wx conditions, etc. I do not involve myself in VATSIM because I feel my flying activities do not really qualify as something the other folks on-line would be interested in.

I have not experimented with any of the present ATC alternatives since I have felt they were all geared to the larger, more commercial a/c and route activities (IFR, SIDS, STARS, etc.) but I would gladly install one of these pgms if it would effectively also enhance the ATC experience of those of us who wander around the back country.

Any suggestions?

I too enjoy the Bush Flying scenerio and love to fly and have most of the Orbx Sceneries . So far I am not having issues with using VFR flight and using FSX ATC although it would be nice if there were programs that were more geared for this type of flying. Most of my flying is done with the Carenado 185 bush and the Quest Kodiak in the same areas you fly. I love to watch the Flying Wild Alaska program and flying some of their routes. I have all of the ERA paints and Unakaleet scenery from Avsim. I spend way too much time flying and not enough time around the house working. But that's life in the big city and my wife doesn't seem to mind. She even brings me dinner at my desk while flying. She is a great Stewardess. ;-)

Hi fellas,

I agree that the default ATC does a pretty good job handling this type of flying. I posted my question to see if I couldn't get one of the experienced Radar Contact 4 or VoxATC users who also enjoys an occasional VFR/bush flight to come back with some info about how well either of these programs handles that type of flight.

Like you, fisheye, I enjoy the Carenado Skywagon and the Quest Kodiak. I also find myself in Flight Replica's Super Cub - Ultra. For longer flights I will bring out RealAir's Turbine Duke.

Maybe we will interest someone who has some experience with one of these ancillary ATC programs to give us the benefit of his knowledge!

Or maybe we could get together on IVAO network doing some bushflying around the world communicating on shared frequencies while flying deciding what to do and where to go. It could be a little more easygoing than the regular semiprofessional way on the network (just as it is in the real world I guess)?