Sign in to follow this  
sebihepp

FMC Fly Over Point

Servus,

is it possible to specify a waypoint as a fly over point in the fmc? If yes, how?

best regards

Sebihepp

Sebihepp,

As far as I recall this FMS function and some others can only be accomplished on the ground during your preflight.

But having said that, there is a way to get same results while airborne. As you know the FMS smooths out the turn from the next waypoint to the following WP so starts turning the aircraft prior to the next WP. If you are finding the aircraft turns say 3NM before the WP just create new WP 3NM after and same course and insert between initial 2 WP.

E.G. Inbound course 090 to WP ABC to WP DEF (Press ABC to scratchpad and add 090/3 to get ABC090/3, now insert this new WP after ABC. New WP called ABC01.)

New routing now should be ABC, ABC01, DEF and will create a corrected turn very close to the original ABC and not 3NM before.

With a bit of time and experience at different speeds and course change you can anticipate how much NM correction.

Good luck.

Edit I/B course to ABC.

Dave Baggs.

EGLL.

The real procedure it's a lot easier than that.

If you wanna overfly a waypoint just create another one 0.1NM afterwards.

Example: I wanna overfly ROTEX then on the LEGS page I have to add ROTEX/.1 so the first one (ROTEX) will become overfly instead of flyby.

That works for the real one. I haven't tested the PMDG for that but I guess it should work.

Regards

Thats no where near flyover, using the example of a 3NM lead on the FMS turn your fix will create a turn at 2.9 from overhead the fix.

Also as you shall know flyovers are incorporated on some SIDS and or STARS and done for a reason. A 2.9 NM error would not be acceptable and expect a violation.

Just a heads-up.

Regards.

Dave Baggs.

EGLL.

As far as I know, the only way to use a flyover is that it has to be coded into the procedure's data (which would be downloaded from Navigraph et al, or hand entered yourself in the text file).

Kyle Rodgers

As far as I know, the only way to use a flyover is that it has to be coded into the procedure's data (which would be downloaded from Navigraph et al, or hand entered yourself in the text file).

Correct, and it's written into the SID/STAR by Navigraph. However if you want to create or modify a SID/STAR for your own use, the syntax would be like in this one I wrote for LLET rwy 03 (Eilat). Note the two 'OVERFLY' commands:

APPROACHES
APPROACH RNAV03 FIX RODED 2500 FIX SHAKI 2400 FIX OVERFLY HILIT 1800 TURN LEFT DIRECT FIX OVERFLY GODAR 1100 FIX YAMAD RNW 03 FIX SAMAR TURN LEFT DIRECT FIX LOT 6000 HOLD AT FIX LOT RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 186 ALT 6000 LEGTIME 1
TRANSITION KITOR FIX KITOR 5000 SPEED 190 FIX LOT 3500
ENDAPPROACHES

This prevents the a/c from starting a turn before the fix designated as an overfly. Can't say this works in all cases, but in the few STARS I've experimented with, it does a good job.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

If you wanna overfly a waypoint just create another one 0.1NM afterwards.

Thank you for technique. Good idea, because sometimes I can forget to turn on HDG SEL at that fix.