Sign in to follow this  
737guy

Would Appreciate Some Feedback on my System

Folks,

Would greatly appreciate some feedback on the parts I've assembled for my new FSX build.

Any feedback, positive or negative is appreciated.

Case: Cooler Master Cosmo II

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula Z77

Memory: G-Skill Trident X 8GB DDR3 2400 (PC3-19200)

Video: EVGA GeForce GTX670FTW 2048MB

SSD: Dedicated FSX drive - Crucial 128GB M4

Cooling: XSPC Raystorm RX360 (hope it will fit in a push/pull mode)

Thanks for taking the time to review.

-Will

Very nice. Make sure to de-lid your CPU and replace the thermal paste with Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra or Phobya Liquid Metal to get the best temps and actually transfer the heat away from the CPU into your water cooler.

Very nice. Make sure to de-lid your CPU and replace the thermal paste with Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra or Phobya Liquid Metal to get the best temps and actually transfer the heat away from the CPU into your water cooler.

Thanks,

How do I do that? I did grab some Diamond IC, and also have some Artic Silver. Will that work?

Hello Given that the Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra is highly conductive, is this really the best stuff to be putting on your CPU core ?.

I used it some time ago on my E8600 and had a really hard time getting the CPU cooler off again, in the end I had to lap the CPU to get the traces of liquid metal off the IHS.

Nasty stuff, cools well though I will give it that.

Thanks,

How do I do that? I did grab some Diamond IC, and also have some Artic Silver. Will that work?

Lookup "Ivy Bridge IHS Removal" on YouTube. You can use the pastes you mentioned, IC Diamond is good for about a 10 C drop but Arctic Silver isn't much better than stock. Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra is good for at least 20 C, it is by far the best solution and if you're going to go to all that trouble you might as well get the most out of it.

Hello Given that the Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra is highly conductive, is this really the best stuff to be putting on your CPU core ?.

I used it some time ago on my E8600 and had a really hard time getting the CPU cooler off again, in the end I had to lap the CPU to get the traces of liquid metal off the IHS.

Nasty stuff, cools well though I will give it that.

I'm not worried about it. The only way to short anything out is if you're careless during application and get it in the socket or under the CPU package.

Ok, removed the IHS, manged to cut my finger and bleed all over the pins! Hopefully I didnt damage anything. Going to get some Liquid Ultra. I assume I apply it per the instructions, and then rest the IHS over the core and install into the motherboard?

Man, I gotta tell ya, removing that lid was more nerve racking than a CATIII approach with my chief pilot in the left seat!

Ok, removed the IHS, manged to cut my finger and bleed all over the pins! Hopefully I didnt damage anything. Going to get some Liquid Ultra. I assume I apply it per the instructions, and then rest the IHS over the core and install into the motherboard?

Man, I gotta tell ya, removing that lid was more nerve racking than a CATIII approach with my chief pilot in the left seat!

Sorry about your finger! Did you get blood on the pins in the socket or on the contacts on the bottom side of the CPU package? If it got on the socket you might short out the socket and the CPU if you can't clean it out. The bottom of the CPU is flat though so that shouldn't be too hard to clean with some rubbing alcohol.

You do want to apply as per instructions. Put the IHS back on and reinstall in the socket, then lower the socket retention lever and that's it!

I'm de-lidding another Ivy Bridge tomorrow, wish me luck!

Blood got on the underside of the CPU, the side with all the little dots, but had some Arctic Silver Thermal Remover and Purifier, so I think I was able to clean it up ok.

Good luck to us both! Hopefully neither of use just trashed our $300 CPUs! Hopefully the Liquid Ultra will turn up on Saturday so I can start the build!

Why use such expensive Video: EVGA GeForce GTX670FTW 2048MB?

As far as I know FSX will run perfect at a cheeper card.

Why use such expensive Video: EVGA GeForce GTX670FTW 2048MB?

As far as I know FSX will run perfect at a cheeper card.

I was going by the guide Word Not Allowed put out, and I think that was the card he suggested. I may be wrong.