Sign in to follow this  
gboz

Rain bug with FSX and nVidia Surround

Anyone else using a nVidia Surround three monitor set up and getting their rain cut off

about one third in from the edge of their left and right screens.

This happens in the VC, looking forward.

If you pan around to about ninety degrees from straight ahead the problem goes away.

The problem only happens when you get airborne. On the ground things are fine and you have the rain all around.

It also happens with the external view but can be avoided by zooming in a bit.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/67669830/2012-8-3_22-15-52-375.jpg

Thanks,

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Yeah..noticed that.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

It's like that because the rain effect is actually made in a cylinder shape and the edges of your two side screens are outside of the cone e.g. clipping. While stationary on the ground move your view outside the aircraft and then look directly up when it's raining and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers, Andy.

It's like that because the rain effect is actually made in a cylinder shape and the edges of your two side screens are outside of the cone e.g. clipping. While stationary on the ground move your view outside the aircraft and then look directly up when it's raining and you'll see what I mean.

Andy, I can not see any indication of the rain falling in a cylindrical pattern from any outside view.

You will see in the first posted screen shot, looking straight up near the plane's wing tip,

that the rain covers the entire three screens and seems to fall from a natural looking vanishing point.

I have attached two screen shots looking at the plane from behind as it takes off.

The first is when the plane has just become airborne, and the rain fills the entire three screens.

In the second the plane is about 30 feet in the air and the rain has suddenly been cut-off.

Weird.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Maybe it's only noticeable when you are moving then but I can see the cylinders/cone in all of those shots and in the third shot I can see the edges of the cylinder e.g. the outside of the cylinder. I imagine if you zoom in a little bit the edges will no longer be visible.

Cheers, Andy.

Maybe it's only noticeable when you are moving then but I can see the cylinders/cone in all of those shots and in the third shot I can see the edges of the cylinder e.g. the outside of the cylinder. I imagine if you zoom in a little bit the edges will no longer be visible.

I agree that there is probably a simple conical or cylindrical structure behind the display of rain but that does not explain why the rain gets cut off when the plane reaches a certain height.

My last two screen shots are at the same zoom ratio and at the same camera to plane distance.

The only difference is that in one the plane is about ten feet off the ground and in the next it is about 30 feet.

So at some height between about ten and thirty, FSX decides to limit the rain display.

gb.

sorry for pulling up such an old post... but i too use nvidia surround on triple monitor setup and have the same issue. Activating DX10 is not an option for me so I would like to ask if anyone has found a worka le fix for this as yet?

Regards from Zurich,

Rene