Sign in to follow this  
meccadom

3gb switch

I have searched and read through the older posts related to this topic and am still not clear about this topic.

I am running on Windows 7 64 bit with 8gb of ram. My questions are:

• Is the 3GB switch necessary or just preferable for FS2004?
  • Is this 3GB switch necessary or just preferable for FSX SP2?
  • Are there clear and concise instructions for applying this switch and what is/are the link(s)?

Cross posted in FSX forum also

Thanks

Dom

The ./3Gb switch has no effect on 64-bit Win7. But you do need to make FS9 and pre-SP2 FSX /LARGEADDRESSAWARE.

I think you find that "/3GB" specifically is applicable to Win XP x86 (32 bit version). For Vista and Win 7 (and assume Win 8) x86 the switch is "IncreaseUserVa 3072".

scott s.

On 64-bit versions of Windows, the system automatically expands the virtual address space available to 32-bit user-mode programs linked with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE option as needed without the /3GB boot parameter

Thanks all for the replies.

mgh: In what file is the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE option specified? I want to check my system.

Dom

You will need to patch FS9.exe and FSX.exe files. A search on /LARGEADDRESSAWARE in these forums will find explanations of how to do it. O've never needed to do it myself.

I have an older steam-powered 32 bit XP computer and could probably gain some benefit by implementing this upgrade. But my head started to ache and my eyes crossed before I got halfway through reading all the steps necessry to accomplish it. I guess I'll just let my extra RAM go to waste.

As you will see in many other threads, the settings have no direct relationship to RAM or physical memory installed. It is the amount of "address space" each process is allowed to use for itself. The OS determines "on the fly" how much of the "address space" is actual code or data held in RAM.

scott s.

But my head started to ache and my eyes crossed before I got halfway through reading all the steps necessry to accomplish it.

Good to know I wasn't the only one with that reaction!!

Bill

Hello:

"This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms."

If you have 64-bit Windows (NOT 32-bit Windows) you easily can set the LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag in FS2004's main executable file (aka "FS9.exe") via the following steps: :Idea:

1.) Be sure FS2004 (aka "FS9") is not running, then make a (ex: *.ZIP or *.RAR) backup of [FS2004 install path]\ FS9.exe

2.) Browse to http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php and Download the 4GB Patch file named "4gb_patch.zip"

3.) In Windows Explorer (called "Computer" in Vista or Win 7), un-ZIP 4gb_patch.zip

4.) Double-click 4gb_patch.exe ("Select Executable" dialog opens)

5,) Browse to [FS2004 install path]\ FS9.exe, Select it, and click Open

6.) 4GB Patch confirms the FS9.exe executable file has been successfully patched :Nerd:

NOTE: You do not have to re-boot Windows; re-start FS9 and enjoy ! :smile:

FYI: FSX DEMO, RTM, and SP1 would also need the LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set manually as above.

FSX SP2 and/or Acceleration and/or FSX Gold versions already have that LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set, and do not require the above procedure to be performed.

GaryGB