Sign in to follow this  
Azapata87

O?T - Computer Geek stuff

I have a question. I am the system administrator at work. I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that will allow tracking of documents. By that I mean I have a shared folder that all at work have access. I would like to put say a Safety Report up, but I would like a way to be able to tell whether or not John Doe has read it.Is there such a program? Any info would be very helpfull.Thanks,:-outtahttp://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...43942b48d2b.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi there JeffWhat software do you use for application delivery? I`m guessing a bit but if you had something like Novell Netware then that could be used to track which pc`s had requested the document ( i think it can log who has downloaded which files and when)Just a thoughtRottenlungs.

What software is running underneath, Windows? Unix/Linux? OSX?I'll hunt around for you some, but I don't know one off hand

Hi thereIf its purely a file on a shared drive then it will be difficult to log who is/has opened the file.You could perhaps make the file open as part of the user`s login. This is a slightly annoying for the users but means they have to have closed the document to get on with their day`s work. No guarantee that they will read it but you can hold them responsible if they haven`t. We used to use this for changes to working practice (e.g internet security policy) and things like that.CheersRottenlungs

Have you considered using a web server and Active Server Pages or some other such web based application to design this? If you have a company intranet, this might be the way to go...