Sign in to follow this  
Phil Chimbolo

ActiveSky 2012 Depiction and Suppression

After RTFM I can tell you that the suppression DOES NOT WORK! I am in "Standard" depiction mode, my "dynamic rate of change" (which is POORLY explained in the manual) is set to 0% (as recommended by HiFi), Downloads are set to "Automatic" at a 30-minute interval. I have both suppression options checked (local range suppression & suppress on ground), my ceiling suppression is 10,000ft. My local range suppression distance is 100nm.

Sooo... when I'm taxiing (in or out) what about "suppress on ground" am I not understanding? I've ready plenty about "the suppression doesn't suppress downloads, only writes to FSX". However, the status of "Depiction Output Active" is displayed at the bottom of the AS2012 screen indicating that it is writing to FSX. The manual says specifically that status tells me that AS2012 is "writing" to FSX.

AS2012 Manual excerpt (pg. 15)

There are 3 Activity Indicators at the very bottom of the program that indicate the activity for the 3 main repeating processes within Active Sky 2012:

Synthesis: Process which takes raw weather data and synthesizes it into usable weather parameters

Depiction: Process which sends weather data from Active Sky 2012 and injects it into FS9/FSX – This indicator will be lit very often as Active Sky 2012 constantly communicates with FS and controls the weather environment – This indicator does NOT light in DWC depiction mode (depiction output is always constantly on in DWC)

Download: Process which downloads new weather from the HiFi DataNet X Weather Servers

These are visible when each process is active. When the processes are inactive the indicators are not visible.

And... when I'm on final approach, what about "ceiling suppression" am I not understanding? I'm on a smooth approach and suddenly (1) the download occurs -- ok, fine --, but then again (2) "Depiction Output Active" status goes on and my FPS goes from almost 30 to about 5.

I am very frustrated. I've been an ActiveSky customer since v5 and this is the first time ever I've wanted to uninstall it.

How do I stop these FSX writes? And, I wouldn't mind stopping the downloads too.

PHIL CHIMBOLO

"Flight Simming for 40-years"

Intel Core i7 3970X 3.50GHz (OC @ 4.20GHz) | 32GB RAM | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | Four Monitors | GoFlight Pro Yoke

GoFlight TQ6 Advance Throttle | CH Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5

Although I am not using AS2012 I see the same problems as you in ASE. I have spent countless hours to the point of not wanting to use it anymore. My biggest complaint is the AI at the destination. I have tried various solutions I see posted with success sometimes but only to see my issue back at a later date. To add fuel to the fire I also use Radar Contact and RC ATIS and ASE ATIS never match. At times I did see a close enough match but on the next listen to RC ATIS the report would indicate winds TOTALLY off wack. ALL of these results were with DWC on as well as importing a flight plan into ASE as well as using Wind Lock and the Destination Weather options all on. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. Sure Standard mode works but I cant deal with the huge performance drop when it injects the weather and as you are also seeing the ground supression does nothing.

BUT ...... I have recently tried something and so far I am seeing good results. I completely removed ASE and re-installed it then I selected DWC with 15 min download interval, 50% rate of change and here is what I believe is the kicker .... I did NOT import a flight plan nor do I have ANY of the destination wind lock or the 80 mile weather clone option on. What has this given me ?? Stutter free flight and the RC ATIS wind is with in 2 to 5 degrees of what ASE is saying (most likely do to the magnetic variation) and the wind speed is spot on 100%. This is being seen at my dep and arr airports. Also the wind reported by FSX (using shift+Z) is 100% matching Radar Contact which means no AI pandamonium on arrival. BTW I use Ultimate Traffic 2 for my AI along with AISmooth and after I load a flight up in FSX and after the weather settles in I reset the traffic thru UT2. I have done 3 flawless flights now with this so it is possible with my past experience the problem may show again but for now its working. Mt last test was KATL to KDFW and the arrival was perfect and if there was going to be arrival confusion it sure would have showed at DFW with the runway options it has there.

Long story short... at least try DWC with NO flight plan and NO other destination supression options (Wind Lock or destination opton) and see if that helps you too. I wanted to post my results as there seems to be little/slow responses on this forum for ASE/AS2012 users.

Jim Wenham

Standard mode will give you stutters when it writes. Nothing you can do but use a different mode. I use DWC with good results.

Thanks for the feedback! Sorry for my delayed response. Been on the road and just got back.

Tried using DWC mode but am equally, if not more, frustrated by the incorrect wind issues at my destination airport.

Regardless, I will try Jim's suggested settings.

Thanks again!

PHIL CHIMBOLO

"Flight Simming for 40-years"

Intel Core i7 3970X 3.50GHz (OC @ 4.20GHz) | 32GB RAM | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | Four Monitors | GoFlight Pro Yoke

GoFlight TQ6 Advance Throttle | CH Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5

Check what version of FSUIPC you have. Me to had strange things going on with AS2012 until I upgraded FSUIPC to 4.852 from 4.820. Something in 820 stopped AS from

doing a proper work. Now I have a great changing weather. Do not need to do a refresh near destination anymore, changes that itself as it should. OVC also works great.

Anyway for me is best to say :mellow:

/Per W

Sweden

Per W Sweden

I just tried news settings in ASE and it seems to work, but with a catch.

I was on standard mode, long range suppression set to max and 10000ft msl and ground suppression to on. I loaded a flight plan and force destination WX on.

As I neared my destination, I started to listen to both ATISs ASE's and FSX's. ASE ATIS said that wind was 099/06. FSX's ATIS said 349/06 all the way to landing( I kept switching between them). The actual wind showing on the ND was 000/06.Of course no weather depiction since I started to listen to them probably because of the altitude suppression. Once I cleared the runway, the depiction started and the weather changed to 110/06 on the ND and FSX's ATIS said 099/06 which matches ASE's ATIS. So, it worked with no AI landing on a different runway and no stutters on approach, BUT the wind stayed the same as when I was above 10000ft. (000/06)

Also, we can confirm that ground suppression doesn't work.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205