Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

new shader DX10 vs DX9

My results with an ATI card using DX10

I've now created a DX9, DX10 and DX9 Eyefinity .cfg file The reason I don't have a DX10 Eyefinity .cfg is that I'm still working on it as I'm getting lots of flashing squares and triangles and the FPS is shot completely, with other instability issues.

However, I digress. I'm strictly concentrating on FPS right now and am a bit confused. In order to try and compare apples with apples I did all my FPS testing using the trike and FSX's default flight. In all three configurations, I'm getting a solid 30fps. I have Heathrow UK2000 extreme and when I load it, in all modes the FPS drops to 16fps. If I then switch to the iFly 737ngx the FPS switches between a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 15fps.

This is on a standard i7 2.8ghz with ATI 5800 and CCC set to default settings. Disregarding the graphical improvements or otherwise of DX10 the FPS im getting is exactly the same with DX9, DX10 and DX9 using Eyefinity at 5830*1080

I guess that for whatever reason the ATI card performs equally in all modes. if other users have done any tests, experiments it might be interesting as not all of us have nVidia cards.

Non working vsync is a big con for ati owners.

Thanks for this confirmation, I've been wondering if that were the case for all of us, HD5870 or the most recent ATI cards.

Phil

I guess that for whatever reason the ATI card performs equally in all modes. if other users have done any tests, experiments it might be interesting as not all of us have nVidia cards.

Agreed, I've tried as many combinations of settings as I can think of, and we don't seem to gain in FPS or smooth rendering, and we lose vsync. However, the vivid colours and sdparkling seas of DX10 enchant me, and we wants it my precious, we wants it badly. I'm even considering a whole new PC with of course nVidia.

Jim, I picked up Addon Converter X as well. Great addon but one thing I ran into and was curious if you had was a couple aircrafts are now showing the textures as they should but they're also semi transparent. I can see right through a Dash 8 I have for Air Canada/Jazz Air and it's transluscent. Any of that over there?

I mentioned this in another thread. Was also getting semi transparent textures on all the ex-FS9 aircraft I tried to convert using the demo of addon x. I thought it was the demo but if you have a full working version and it is still doing it then there is obviously a problem. I'm holding off purchasing addon x until there is a fix.

Thank you Paul J, stevejp and firehawk44 for all your hard work. I've also stopped using DX9 as the advantages of DX10 outweigh the disadvantages (apart from not being able to fly my FS9 aircraft but I'll live with that for now!).

Regards

Adam

Been doing some more testing with Eyefinity and although I've yet to do a long flight my initial feelings are that it's looking very promising.

Initially, I had usePools=0 and got random flashing green triangles and squares all over the place and the FPS was completely shot. I then set usePools=1 and set reject threshold (can't remember the number of the top of my head) turned on bloom and lightflare and loaded up FSX... Wow

FPS is as per my DX9 and when only using one monitor. I'm pretty impressed! Still have to do a bit more flying as only had a spin round Heathrow in the iFly 737 but those two coupled are a good stress test on my system. Didn't fly over to the Dome to see the missing texture as didn't want to end on a negative as I'm very happy.

So well done stevejp your a star and to

Paul J and everyone else who has contributed.