Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Air1

Point Thomson Sea Ice Airstrip AA50

I took 4 people to this airstrip in the C-46 in the dark of night.. I don't know why anyone would want to go there. There was nothing and I mean nothing there. Not even a airstrip that I ever saw. I just landed near the marker and it was recorded. I had to taxie around some water hazzards to unload the passengers some .6 miles away. This flat tundra strip is on the north coast, east of Deadhorse. Glad to get out of there.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It was kinda dark when I arrived. So I changed to daylight and there STILL was nothing there! Make for a nice hamburger run.

I wonder why the C-46 can be used for jobs but not the other no VC birds? Single place, no cargo room? Think I just answered my own question.

Come to think of it, there shouldn't be anything there because it is .... open water! :lol:

I guess they only call it an airstrip and land there in the Winter when it freezes.

Best regards.

Luis

N.B. By the way, Steve, I searched for the airstrip by the title of this thread in Google Images and your picture came up in the listing, as well as that of a number of other members of this forum (Stephen, Rick, Devon, Robert, etc.) Pretty funny.