Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dave2013

Wilco CRJ NextGen v2.0

Anyone try the v2.0 update yet? They were on v1.3, so I would expect that a v2.0 would have quite a few changes and improvements.

Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi there Dave2013.

It's been a while since you posted that question, but I have just bought the CRJ NextGen V2.0 only to find that EVERY time I fly it, after about 3-4 minutes, my screen greys out, and my computer locks up. Every time. I have to turn it off at the wall on occasions cos even Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work.

So I thought I would trawl the forae and see if anyone has any light to shed on what appears to be yet another bug - ridden offering from Wilco/FeelThere.

This CRJ looks nice, sounds nice, and kind of works nicely until the lock-up, so you have to make the most of it while it lasts!

I'm disappointed but not surprised. I have bought quite a few of their products and despite my experiences, somehow still seem willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I certainly do NOT recommend this product. I merely bought it wondering and hoping that perhaps this time it would be different. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Having said that, 30 bucks will buy a bucket of chicken down at the Colonel's; this is definitely better for you.

Meanwhile, I had better get down to trying to find out how to make t his baby fly without toasting my OS.

Cheers,

Chris

CRJ NextGen V2.0... what appears to be yet another bug - ridden offering from Wilco/FeelThere.

feelThere WAS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY WAY with the CRJ v2.

feelThere WAS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY WAY with the CRJ v2.

My unreserved apologies to feelthere. In all my years of looking for addons and buying them, the 2 names became inextricably linked in my mind - I somehow got it into my head that the names went together like...McDonnell Douglas for instance.

Compare the Wilco/Feelthere 777 to the Feelthere   O N L Y   EMB175/195 - you see'll why Feelthere insists on the 'un-linked' ...

Hi there Dave2013.

It's been a while since you posted that question, but I have just bought the CRJ NextGen V2.0 only to find that EVERY time I fly it, after about 3-4 minutes, my screen greys out, and my computer locks up. Every time. I have to turn it off at the wall on occasions cos even Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work.

So I thought I would trawl the forae and see if anyone has any light to shed on what appears to be yet another bug - ridden offering from Wilco/FeelThere.

This CRJ looks nice, sounds nice, and kind of works nicely until the lock-up, so you have to make the most of it while it lasts!

I'm disappointed but not surprised. I have bought quite a few of their products and despite my experiences, somehow still seem willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I certainly do NOT recommend this product. I merely bought it wondering and hoping that perhaps this time it would be different. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Having said that, 30 bucks will buy a bucket of chicken down at the Colonel's; this is definitely better for you.

Meanwhile, I had better get down to trying to find out how to make t his baby fly without toasting my OS.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry that you wasted money on this completely unflyable aircraft ... (in this case, the oft used word unflyable legitimately applies).... but rest assured, even if you did not have the 'gray screen' problem, you'd be confronted with an aircraft that has an AP that will pitch violently (up to V/Speeds of 10,000FPM) irrelevent to the values you command........ similarly, the SPEED mode (a pitch control mode, not an autoththrottle mode) likes to command 400kts, even though you've set 200kts for the initial climb.

Worst ever purchase in 15 years of flight simming........... how Eric Marciano put his name to this project I'll never know.

It's truly just broke.

If it were a real aircraft, it would be grounded permanently, and would already be rotting in the sun in the Mojave Desert! :smile:

(...)

Worst ever purchase in 15 years of flight simming........... how Eric Marciano put his name to this project I'll never know.

(...)

Ooops: Eric Marciano?!? ... THE Eric Marciano???

Yes Olli, he did the gauge programming for this bird apparantly .......... BUT.... it's said that the issues with the AP is caused by errors and inconsistancies in the FDE, rather than in any particular gauges.

So I'm not alluding that Eric's to blame; just a shame he put his name alongside such a flawed Wilco product.

Eric has successfully implemented custom AP coding such as 'Speed' (by pitch) modes, in things like the 737PIC (FLC) and in the Airbus Series 1 (Open Climb), so he clearly knows his eggs.

It looks like whoever did the FDE let this plane down.

olli4740, on 11 Jun 2013 - 7:55 PM, said:

Compare the Wilco/Feelthere 777 to the Feelthere O N L Y EMB175/195 - you see'll why Feelthere insists on the 'un-linked' ...

Point taken - I really should pay more attention to detail. I have used feethere products in the past, way back when I first got into this addictive little caper and I remember that was a far more satisfying experience.

'Q400_Flyer', on 28 Jun 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

I'm sorry that you wasted money on this completely unflyable aircraft ...

Thanks for the sentiment Dave.

I have bought and tried so many add-ons over the years. As technology and techniques evolve, I somehow allow myself to be swayed by an apparently inexhaustible faith or optimism hoping that this time it will be different. I'm sure that every offering out there is an attempt to produce a workable solution, but what we often end up buying is the result of someone else's poor judgement and lack of standards. PMDG explain this quite eloquently in their preamble ("...marketing is always marketing..."). What I end up doing is paying for the ability to give the product a test fly. Afterwards, I am usually left wondering how the developers convince themelves that it is ok to release this stuff. I am sure that they take great comfort in the knowledge that no-one made me do it. At least Flight1 give you your money back if not you are not happy, and they should be applauded for that.

If someone else is deterred from purchasing this product as a result of doing a better job of researching the forums than I did, then perhaps it is not all wasted. Despite the fact that these developers obviously have some ability, they do themselves no favours by selling unfinished and obviously blemished software. I just cannot get my head around what sort of person does that. I couldn't live with myself knowing that I was basically ripping people off. This is not just about amateur vs professional, it's about integrity.

Trying, doing your best, really? A sort of an attempt that kind of works sometimes? What is that? That doesn't cut it in my books. It either works or it doesn't. It's either ready or it's not. Bugs are to be expected in software, but not to the extent that seems to have become the norm among some of the big names in the flight sim community. I can't help feeling that these guys are hiding behind some kind of corporate deniability mentality as if they don't have a choice. Or is it a case of sell it anyway and clean up the mess afterwards? Get their money, everything else is secondary.

And another thing I keep reading is: "...we aren't PMDG..." So that makes it alright does it? In my eyes that's basically a clear admission that it's too hard to do the job properly. I wish they would come right out and say that on the product description, instead of very, very carefully crafting the wording so that it looks like you're getting a lot for your money. "Tested by real pilots." I wonder what the results of those tests were. Oh, you get plently for your money, but what's the point if you can't use it. I want an aircraft I can fly without having to spend intermineable hours trawling through forums, looking for user remedies, having to re-install software over and over only to discover that it was never going to work properly. That might be a hobby for some people, but if that were intended to be a First Principle of Flight Simulator, I doubt many would have bought it.

I suppose that's common marketing behaviour and to be expected these days. But, I bet the folks at more respectable organisations wouldn't dream of conducting themselves in that manner.

I have often read warnings to stay away from Wilco products. Oh well, I did go into it with my eyes open, but seriously Wilco, this was your last chance.

For my next trick, I'm going to post some very thorough and accurate reviews of the Wilco products I own.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, we are a breed us flight simmers... ;)

I read all the awful Wilco CRJ reviews, and knew from past experience that the Wilco products that did not have feelThere input, tended to be poor ............ and guess what, I kidded myself, "it can't be that bad" because I so wanted a CRJ, and I handed my money over...... (like a plain old fool!).

So don't be too hard on yourself ........  we're a desperate bunch of addicts us FS'ers ... what can we do?  ;)