Sign in to follow this  
la-180

To delete FSX or not to delete FSX...that is the question

Hi,

I installed P3D v1.4 at the beginning of this week. Have to say that I am not seeing much difference in performance yet to FSX, but then I haven't done much in the way of tweaking and testing, so I am confident I can improve things.

I've been following the debate about whether to remove FSX or not from the computer with great interest, and wonder what you guys think is the best way to go.

What concerns me if I do remove FSX is...can I reinstall it again at a later time, or on a new pc if I should upgrade? The reason I ask is that I've seen quite a number of posts on various forums from members who have not been able to reactivate a fresh install of FSX because Microsoft no longer support this.

If I were to use the Estonia Migrator tool, then delete FSX, and then P3D bring out an update which requires P3D being first uninstalled before installing the new version, where do I stand? Would I have to reinstall FSX again (if I could) to be able to re-install all the add-ons with the Estonia Migrator? And if I cannot reinstall FSX, am I then up the creek without a paddle?

Am a bit confused and concerned on this, so your valued input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

Jack Johnston

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

All good questions, Jack however there are, as always under these circumstances a number of variables. If you have drive space, leave FSX there for now and set a target date to delete when Prepar3D v2.0 is happily on your computer.

I personally have adopted a policy of reinstalling all my add-ons with the exception of Orbx scenery. That is a technical issue which, I am assured, will be fixed by the Orbx team very soon.

Migration, using the various applications has not been good for me and having reached the stage where I am delighted with P3D performance, with a big "thank you" to Pete Dowson, I am not going to revisit "migration" under any circumstances.

If you can't direct install into P3D proceed with caution. Freeware like PAD install easily as do most, if not all of the FSX freeware. Many payware such as MyTraffic 3D and Active Sky 2012 and lots of aircraft direct install and run without a problem.

Hope that helps

Thanks Mac.

Yes, I think I'll be going down the path of only installing products with a direct P3D installer, rather than "migrating" stuff. Seems like ORBX will soon have separate P3D installers for all their products, I'll be very happy with that. FSDT and Flightbeam offer the same for their airport sceneries, i've already got My Traffic 3D and REX Essentials (also direct for P3D), and with the excellent Quality Wings RJ package and some of the Carenados, I think I should have enough to keep me occupied.

I will probably keep FSX on the PC for use with the PMDG NGX.

Now I just hope that my tweaking will bring me some of the excellent results in P3D which I've been reading about here and elsewhere.

Cheers

Jack

Jack Johnston

If it helps:

I just got a new SSD, my current OS is copied from the WD, and I configured a double boot - one normal with FSX and a 2nd one, a separate platform for P3D. My WD Vrap 600GB is going to hold both P3D and FSX folders fully installed, so I can make 1:1 comparisons in both. No conflicting registry entries, simconnect versions etc. All nicely separated.

I have 2 600GB VRaps, the first one is partioned as C:\ (Win 7 and some other utilities) and E:\, where I keep copies of all my payware and freeware donloads (Zips, exe files etc) and also have Photoshop installed here.

Drive F.\ (the second VRap) has both FSX and P3D installed on it.

Drive E:\ is getting a bit tight for space, so I've been toying with the idea of buying a NAS and moving all my downloads over there to free up space.

Also toying with the idea of an upgrade to the whole PC, so I suppose I'll wait and see what happens on that front (won't be before November at the earliest). Maybe then I can have FSX and P3D on separate drives. As I do see P3D as my future, I would ideally like to put this on an SSD, with a smaller SSD for the OS.

Cheers

Jack

Jack Johnston

I would definitely keep FSX for now, at least through the "honeymoon" phase. I think many simmers are expecting a huge difference when they start P3D for the first time whereas the changes are probably more subtle. I would also install on a separate drive (or partition), if you have the space. I've got mine on a lonely ol' 7200RPM WD black to start initial default flying/testing. I myself don't want to just jump in a add a ton of stuff. If I decide to make this the primary FS I will probably put it onto a 512GB SSD or a 600GB WD Velop. I eat up space waaay tooo fast, ha!

I think I was seeing better performance when I did my first flight with Nvidia Surround, but then again it could be a placebo type effect. But I know I wasn't seeing worse performance. I did see some artifacts so I will have to research here what those are using for initial cfg. tweaks or Nvidia Inspector settings. Got the weekend to mess around with it. :smile:

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Well, I have left FSX for P3D. No more turning back. The performance of P3D is sooo much better. Better fps, very very smooth and the new shader makes a "grogg" that is so much tastier than FSX. Well. I guess the biggest question is if you are using some add-ons not working in P3D (like FSPassenger or something) and you just can't be without it. Then maybe you want to wait for the "jump" to P3D and stay with FSX. But for me, that's not the case. I can live without those add-ons for now, and who knows, some of them may come back in a P3D version in due time.

/Torbjörn

I too have left FSX behind but it is still lurking on my computer until Orbx finishes their retrofit direct installer. If I didn't have a stack of Orbx scenery FSX would be gone but I have the room so for the moment it stays, albeit gathering "dust".