Sign in to follow this  
harrydoucette

new computer to do the job.

Hi Harry,

As you can see in my signature I have a similar setup. I have it now for about 2 weeks and until now it is difficult to say much about it.

Yes it runs PMDG software on many AddOn airports, with AS2012 textures and weather.

Although I spend some hours on tweaking and also with an OC to 4.5 GHz (HT off) I still get a drop to 20 FPS or less once in a while. Mainly on performance heavy airports (e.g.: I get 30 FPS with bad weather in GAP3 EDDH however only about 20 with GAP3 EDDT, whilst there is the same amount of WOAI traffic) whilst there is some bad weather (overcast).

Limiting the AS2012 sky textures to 1024 and setting the max visibility to 25miles on lower levels and 50miles helped.

Within FSX I have the cloud draw distance somewhere in the middle range, everything affecting terrain and resolution to max, expect water, AutoGen at Medium and 50% WoAi traffic and 30% GA traffic, without cars and boats.

Personally I think one of the pest improvements was to switch of Hyper Treating. I don't have any programs that has any advantage of running on 8 cores.

But altogether I still have a bad feeling. Yes, the upgrade I did helped, however I would have expected a little bit more. Especially after watching YT videos, where the same processor and similar/lower clocks show very fluid bad weather approaches whilst running Fraps.

That somehow gives me the question where my money went...

Best regards

Jonathan

I'm running an i5 3750ghz clocked to 3.8 machine with a GTX650 2GB GPU and 8GB 1600hz ram. I also have 2 HDD's of 1TB each, rather fast HDD's. I didn't go with an SSD for cost.

I run the Operating system on one drive (C:\) and FSX on the other drive. (E:\)

OS is Windows 7 64bit, and I have highmemfix and uliautomation.dll fixes.

One thing I did was install FSX to E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X rather than the E:\Programfiles (x82)\Microsoft Games\ route

I believe MS works better when it's
  1. not on the same HDD as the Operating system
  2. not in the Program Files folder.

nVidia inspector for antialising.

Results:

ActiveSky Evolution. Orbx YBBN and Ants Aussie YBRK. FTX Green. NGX -700. Vatsim with FSinn. GSX. FSwater configurator. Fraps direct recording.

The other aircraft about are multiplayer aircraft, displayed from FSinn. Some of the models are augmented by mytrafficX, some are repaints of default FSX 737.

I used to use WOAI models but found they are actually FS9 models converted. They turn invisible around Aerosoft addon airports like EHAM. There was a 737-300 model from WOAI that cuts framerates to a stuttery 2-6fps. Regardless of if you were over NL2000 v4 struggling to make 10fps, or over default desert doing 30fps locked (to a potential of in the 50's).

The FPS values while running fraps mightn't be impressive numbers, but it's still smooth.

I was told installing FSX out of the programfiles folder (and putting it on a different HDD to the OS) was an advantage. So far I'm happy with the results on my system.

Trent Hopkinson

Thanks guys! i did find a post here about the alienware x51 and have decided its not the right computer for me. I'm looking at tigerdirect.ca to build one. any recommendations?

i hear that fsx wont use any more then a 1gb video card. so buying a 1.5 or 2gb is just a waste. thats the kind of tips i need. you know, someone should make fsx computers. im sure thats a good marketing plan.

Thanks again guys!

Thanks guys! i did find a post here about the alienware x51 and have decided its not the right computer for me. I'm looking at tigerdirect.ca to build one. any recommendations?

i hear that fsx wont use any more then a 1gb video card. so buying a 1.5 or 2gb is just a waste. thats the kind of tips i need. you know, someone should make fsx computers. im sure thats a good marketing plan.

Thanks again guys!

Jetline Systems makes computers specifically for FSX, they come pre-configured to run FSX at the best possible FPS. They are worth checking out but do cost a premium.

I just built a new system with all parts coming from Newegg and I couldn't be happier. If you think you can build your own then you will save money and hopefully have a good computer building experience. I've been building computers for many years, once you do you'll never do it any other way.

My recommendation is to get a z77 motherboard, 3570K CPU, 2x4GB 2400Mhz memory and a decent 1GB video card. Then follow the advice mentioned above regarding how and where to install FSX. All the parts in my sig work flawlessly together.

Good luck.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG General Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.