Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

My FS-GS experience, not the norm

Yes Dell is reliable but that is just about any computer these days. It

Hi Jimmy,How many Services do you still have running after FSAutostart does its stuff? I have 11 (Windows XP Home SP1)without printer support and 12 with printer support - occasionally needed to print out a flight plan/nav log and saves me from having to exit the sim and restart with the inevitable time delay via FSAutostart.Just curious...Mike

Don't know if Dell's units are any good or have quality or not, but am down on Dell for entirely other reasons.Had a Dell notebook ordered for portable Real Estate purposes. Dell has an impressive order/manufacturing/packaging/delivery schedule ladder for customers so that you can see exactly where your order is and what stage of production it is in. Mine went through the procedure. Order was initiated, Parts were put in the basket, Manufacturing went under way, Checkout was performed, and all was on schedule where packaging was all that was left for the next day on which shipping was to be made. On the next day when my unit was finished, checked out, packaged and should have been shipped to me, I got an email from Dell telling me that it would be delayed. No reason given. In addition Dell in their arrogance said that this was a notice of "THE FIRST DELAY" (Don't know how many others they planned. I firmly believe my unit shipped alright, but to somebody else who placed a big order negating people like us from Dell's interest at all.Dell is DEAD in my book. Someday, we can build our own notebooks as easily as we can desktops, and I whole heartedly agree that we can put together units superior to anything Dell will offer for the money.Happy FlyingRTHSide note:What would Dell charge for this?P4C800 Deluxe MotherboardPentium 4, 3.2G CPU1G PC3200/400 MemoryWinXP ProDirectX9.0cATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MBSecondary Graphics Diamond Stealth III S540 PCI 21

>Hi Jimmy,>>How many Services do you still have running after FSAutostart>does its stuff? I have 11 (Windows XP Home SP1)without printer>support and 12 with printer support - occasionally needed to>print out a flight plan/nav log and saves me from having to>exit the sim and restart with the inevitable time delay via>FSAutostart.Hi, Mike. If you've got the services down to 11 I think you are doing pretty well. I am running around 19 via FS-Autostart ... many of them are necessary simply because I have a home network with a mix of computers and I want to maintain connectivity while running FS9.

Guest SoarPics

"At no stage was I able to find a unit by Dell (or anybody else for that matter) that could supply what I wanted off of the shelf for half the cost of putting it together yourself."Yeah, any store bought computer is that way... you get what they want to give you.I've owned many Dell's over the years, but they were all used for purposes other than gaming. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Dell to a gamer. To much junk on that hard drive before it's even in the buyer's hands. Homebuilt all the way for my gaming rig!Just my 2 cents,Greg

"If you've got the services down to 11 I think you are doing pretty well".....Jimmy, dare I say it, it's doubtful I would ever have achieved it without the help and advice given by FS-GS....to bring us neatly back to topic ;) However, I do have to say I did manage to work out the printer bit all on my very owneeeoh :)Mike