Hi all, a couple of quick questions.

1. Is it possible to insert multiple offset waypoints?

I have come across a strange behaviour when inserting multiple consecutive wps.

Let's take MAURO wp. After inserting MAURO in the FPL I insert MAURO* rad240.0 dis 28.4 then MAURO* rad246.0 dis 28.1 and after initializing the NAV and VNAV pages some of the

offsets disappear. ANybody got any advice?

2. What is the FLY OVER option in the ofset page when you specify the rad and dist of such a wp?

Thanks you in advance!

2. What is the FLY OVER option in the ofset page when you specify the rad and dist of such a wp?

It's the same as OVERFLY on other CDUs, represented by the letter delta on most units.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Hemm... overfly? I don't know this function, can you explain? Is it there on the NGX?

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure if it's directly available to pilots on the 737's CDU, but it can certainly be hard coded in to procedures on the Smiths' FMS. If you have experience of Airbus cockpits there is a dedicated button for the function on Airbus MCDU's (it's the Greek letter Delta on the bottom right of the MCDU keypad, also labelled OVFY, iirc).

It literally means what it says, you will "fly over" that waypoint, even if it is more 'efficient' not to, i.e. when the FMS would cut the corner by default (I think this is informally known as fly-by mode). You will have probably seen this on your Navigation Display in other aircraft before, where the magenta line does not pass through the waypoint... if you activate fly over/overfly mode then it will force the magenta line through the waypoint, even on teardrop shaped turns.

Hope that helps you understand, I'm not very good at explaining things!

EDIT: Found a few images on Google to more clearly explain my point, please see below.

overfly.jpg

1-s2.0-S1270963811001477-gr001.gif

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

That's an awesome explaination, thank you so much!

Any idea about my other question?

Hi all, a couple of quick questions.

1. Is it possible to insert multiple offset waypoints?

I have come across a strange behaviour when inserting multiple consecutive wps.

Let's take MAURO wp. After inserting MAURO in the FPL I insert MAURO* rad240.0 dis 28.4 then MAURO* rad246.0 dis 28.1 and after initializing the NAV and VNAV pages some of the

offsets disappear. ANybody got any advice?

Hi

I saw your post so I thought I'd try multiple offsets in a row on today's flight. There doesn't seem to be any problem I think it's working ok.

I initialised the VNAV page after entering the waypoints, and it didn't cause any of them to be wiped.

Note that if you go back in and click on the waypoint to look at it again, it DOES ask for bearing/distance again, but if you look above that you can see it still remembers the last bearing/distance you entered so it's not wiped (see screenshot below)

Or were you trying to put multiple offsets on the same line - like add more bearing/distances into the offset wpt page? I think that would overwrite them, you have to add them as a new entry in the flightplan page by clicking on the waypoint above, and typing in the new one again with a *

fsx%202012-10-01%2016-19-12-61.jpg

fsx%202012-10-01%2016-19-25-20.jpg

fsx%202012-10-01%2016-20-40-30.jpg

fsx%202012-10-01%2016-24-14-28.jpg

Hi Dan! Thanks for the reply.

Glad to see that you're able to enter multiple wps, at least it means it can be done and I've just done something wrong/am misinterpreting something.

I am inserting multiple wpys around a single VOR to define a downwind/base leg then a final app fix for an airport with no navaids (LIRJ) so they're definitelly not on the same radial even tho the points are quite close together (the closest being around 2nm).

The wpys get entered alright and show up, but after initializing the vnav and nav some of them just disappear. TBH I haven't flown that route yes so I'm not sure wether they are there and just not shown because so close together etc..

Do you know if there's a way to review the fpl beforehand like the PLAN function on the NGX?

Do you know if there's a way to review the fpl beforehand like the PLAN function on the NGX?

Can't be done. It only shows the name of the waypoint the FMS is currently routing towards, and you can't change the map centre. Which is a complete pain in the arse for lazy pilots like me!

However you can use the D-> function of the FMS to get it to display the names of waypoints later in your flight plan, this won't erase the plan so you can then use the D-> to reselect where you actually want to go. If you're doing this in flight remember to engage HDG mode beforehand, otherwise you'll be pulled off your flightplan.

support1.jpg

I see. Thought as much TBH. It's not that big a deal as 1 the wps are listed in the pln page and 2 the become visible as you progress in your flight.

I need to fly that route again and test it really!

Thank you all for your replies!

The thing I find useful is to change the range on the map by using the range up/down on the weather radar

Hi

What mod is that for the weather radar? Is that CS or RXP version?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That looks like the Captain Sim one in Dan's screenshot. The RealityXP WX500 is supported out the box, if you have it installed the J41 will automatically load it. To get the Captain Sim to work involves a bit of simple panel.cfg tweaking.

I've used the RXP one and liked it, never tried the CS. The RXP seems to have some kinda weird conflict with FS2Crew interfering with its hot spot controls though. The 3D knobs in the virtual cockpit for the weather radar are none functional.

support1.jpg

Uh dear... Just found out that my problem in not being able to insert multiple wps was due to me being a numty and selecting the same LSks. What a div!! Well at least now I know what fly over is lol

Uh dear... Just found out that my problem in not being able to insert multiple wps was due to me being a numty and selecting the same LSks. What a div!! Well at least now I know what fly over is lol

Not so numty, the real GNS-XLS I think it does let you add multiple offsets from the same parent based upon the user guide if I recall correctly. But we don't get every feature in FS ;)

What mod is that for the weather radar? Is that CS or RXP version?

CS, I don't have the RXP one but CS I use in this and the BT-67. I replaced the "GPS" popup.

[Window Titles]
//-----------------------------------------------------
Window00=CS Weather Radar
Window01=Ramp Manager
Window02=FMS
Window03=RMU
Window04=FCS
Window05=FS2Crew Main Panel
Window06=FS2Crew Configuration Panel
Window07=FS2Crew Panel Switcher Panel
Window08=FS Video Marshaller
//-----------------------------------------------------

[Window00]
Background_color=1,1,1
size_mm=525,386
window_size_ratio=1.000  
position=2
visible=0
ident=11223
window_size= 0.360, 0.353
window_pos= 0.000, 0.480
zorder=8

gauge00=WXR!wr_display,  81,32,364,279
gauge01=Captain_Sim.r001.P04!P04_radar,  0,1,523,384
gauge02=PMDG_WXR_Toggle!WXR_Toggle,  92,30,336,261

VC:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//   VC SECTION 2
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
[Vcockpit02]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$GaugeTwo

gauge00=j41!pmdg_j41_rmu_1,  0,0,393,500
gauge01=j41!pmdg_j41_rmu_2,  393,0,393,500
gauge02=PMDG_BAe_JS4100_3!GNSXLS,  1,508,512,408
gauge03=j41!pmdg_j41_alt_pic,  896,0,128,508
gauge04=WXR!wr_display,  528,511,480,360
gauge05=j41!pmdg_j41fms_pu_open,  919,458,53,35
gauge06=PMDG_WXR_Toggle!WXR_Toggle,  791,542,173,290
gauge07=FS2Crew2010\Versions\Jetstream\Gauges\FS2CrewPMDGJ41!FS2Crew_Icon,  559,545,201,286

ps the Toggle is a popup clickspot someone sent me. I can send the gauge if you send a PM