Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

How is the Yoke sensitivity in the real aircraft?

I fly different types of GA, including non Turbo Twins and Tail wheels like the Citabria/Decathlon (Stick & Rudder). I found Ch Yoke and Saitek yoke to be quite adequate. I did not find the difference (between sim and Real) too jarring. After all, there was sufficient difference between aircrafts I flew. The Piper Seminole behaved quite differently when coming to land and the yoke pressures to a Cessna 172. The Stick and Rudder of Tail wheel was even more different than the others...in how much movement (large) is required. So considering these real world difference, my mind does not see the difference of the sim yoke to be too radically different from real aircrafts with one BIG exception... The kind of back pressure you get when doing a go around after coming into land with full flaps. Sim yokes just cannot do it.. I am not sure if any force feed could even come close to simulating that.

However, when it comes to Rudder pedals.. the sim rudder is quite a fake and a stretch. Saitek Cessna Rudder is like 500% better then CH Pedals.. but still not even close. But any rudder pedals is better than no rudder pedals for simming.. Even the Ch pedals where you can use your toes to control it. LOL :)

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

What Kevin says about wheel deflection in the sim is true, it only moves 45° left and right (90 totally) when the real one moves to a total of about the double (180°), Why pmdg did it I don't know, but they are aware about this since one of the first service update release, if they didn't solved when they modified the spoilers rate, I think it is due to something like a compromise. but, I'm not sure.

If pilots IRL uses full deflection normally I don't know, I think that full deflection should be used only at low speed, with wind gusts, at high speed less deflection will result in the same manouver.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Guys,

Try setting your FSX sensitivities to around 1/3 of their max values in the controller settings. I got the chance to fly a real level D 737NG sim a few months ago and somewhere around there is what I felt was closest to the amount of motion the real yoke required. (I have a Saitek X52 system) The real thing is very deliberate - you don't get "fingertip" type control on the yoke the way you do with a joystick at home. It takes a lot of motion to produce a relatively small amount of bank or pitch change.

Does this also apply to the Saitek yoke?

I set my Saitek yoke settings in FSX to one notch below the maximum for aileron control, and approximately halfway up the slider for elevator control. It seems so much easier to make precise corrections this way, although I do see real-world pilots making large corrections in cockpit videos. It seems that, even from the perspective of a passenger, it is possible to make the distinction between automatic flight (few small corrections) and manual flight (often using spoilers for roll control, especially during final approach).

However, when it comes to Rudder pedals.. the sim rudder is quite a fake and a stretch. Saitek Cessna Rudder is like 500% better then CH Pedals.. but still not even close. But any rudder pedals is better than no rudder pedals for simming.. Even the Ch pedals where you can use your toes to control it. LOL :)

Manny

Manny, OC has brought out some new steel pedals :)

http://www.opencockpits.com/index.php/en/products/item/737%20Steel%20pedals?category_id=104

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

There is a fundamental flaw in many of the simulator setups used. It is very difficult to make computer components operate RW controls do. RW it's more about the pressure on the control input. RW pilots don't spend any amount of time worrying about how deflected the control is. If a more rapid rate of change is desired, more pressure is put on the control and less pressure for slower rate of change.

The reason the yoke is moved around more RW during landing is because the plane is close to a stall speed (vref is defined as 1.3 times the stall speed for the landing configuration). As the plane slows and approaches a stall condition, the controls become less effective ("sluggish"), and so more input is required to get the desired result. Also, in the RW the air being flown through truely is a fluid. There are all sorts of wind variations including the vortices generated by the previous aircraft, random thermals, wind acting against ground structures. It all plays into the approach, and has to be corrected for. This doesn't translate into sim flying very well.

Many airlines have significantly reduce the importance of rudder usage in the wake of the A300 accident in which rapid, opposing deflections of the rudder pedals caused the vertical stabilizer to depart the aircraft and ultimately caused the aircraft to become uncontrolable. Rudder usage is important throughout the flight, but slips and skids have become normal because the pedals aren't used. My feet are on the peddals usually around 2500 ft AGL, and they slide up so that my heels are off the ground and my toes are available for braking around 150 ft above touchdown. Inputs are made on the pedals as needed depending on the attitude the plane is in. More inputs are made on windy/gusty days than on calm/still mornings.

Again, this is all very difficult to describe, and even more difficult to reproduce in the sim.