Sign in to follow this  
NicolasTAP

Prepar3d and Windows 8

I'd like to upgrade my OS to Windows 8 and I'd like to know if there's anyone who has already installed and whether or not they are compatibility problems

Tks

Banner_MJC9.png

Today is the most beautiful day of my life...

I've tried the W8 RTM version a few weeks ago. On my first flight I got an CTD (.NET Framework error). I've opend a thread in the LM-forum. The answer from LM was that P3D is not supported with Windows 8. But now Windows 8 it is officially released. Perhaps we will get Windows 8 support from LM.

In the meantime I have switched back to Windows 7 64. By the way the stock .NET Framework version of Windows 8 is the correct version which is needed for running P3D.

Patric

I have Win 8 Pro and so far no issues with P3D. Runs just as well as Win 7.

I've just installed it 5 mins ago and am setting the tweaks from Word Not Allowed again.

No issues so far.

I emailed Lockeed Martin in advance a few days ago so that they

could activate me again.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Thank you very much for answers.

Today i found in http://ifly.flight1.net/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=8968&SID=1448214z46a59b8zd7e2e6a2zad1z3985532407&title=windows-8-and-ifly some opinion regarding ifly

"

P3D 1.4 Compatible – with restrictions.

The fonts on the gauge seems to be of a more bolder type.

This has to do how Win8 renders and it “changes” the fonts characteristics

There is no plan to fix this at the moment.

The following are unrelated to our product, but we did observe that P3D 1.4 was very prone to crash under Win8.

We don’t know the reason for this.

Another observation was that our CH Pedal and Yoke from time to time would just disappear from FSX and P3D controls, they were still visible in the Win8 Devices and Printers, but Win8 failed to communicate this to FSX and P3D.

Calibration was also strange under Win8, the movement of the throttle on the CH Yoke did not reflect under calibration in Win 8 devices and printers, but it did work in the simulator. (until such time that the connection just vanished as explained above)

So this is just a fair notices to be cautious on the upgrade plans, we did run into some issues.

Regards

Jannie Roelofse

"

Banner_MJC9.png

Today is the most beautiful day of my life...

The disapearing hardware controls issue can be resolved by setting Prepar3d in compatibility mode for Windows 7

I've since gone back to Windows 7 since I got all sorts of crashes in Windows 8 that I didn't get in Windows 7

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Hi!

I think today it was my 5th new setup of Windows8Pro/64 from scratch on a 240SSD only because of P3D...

The 1st setup was faulty, as I had installed FSX first, got problems, de-installed it and purchased P3D Pro. Every time I tried to change the date & time P3D crashe with fatal error.

2nd setup: P3D crashed from time to time "out of nowhere"...

3rd setup: worked so far. On a long haul flight from WADD to RJFU P3D crashed for no reason after an hour.

4th setup: I tried to install EVERYTHING I have, using the "FSX to Prepar3D migration Tool". Aerosoft, Orbx, REX, PMDG... 90GByte. Guess it was REX which slew down everything. I had to sit and wait 10-15min for every change in the location, time...

5th setup: Just running since 2 hours. Till now works stable. But it seemed to work nice the other 3 times before...

Guess I will ask for a refund anyway, as the missing start menu is somthing I can't really accept to work with the next 10 years...

Ralf

1) Why would you request a refund for a program that's not officialy suppprted for windows 8 yet?

2) Did you try running in Windows 7 compatibility mode?

3) If you want a start menu, use this....

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Jude Bradley

Running Win 8 Enterprise for quite some time (MSDN subscription bragging) and only issue with P3D was the controller disconnecting intermittently - will give the Win 7 compat mode tip a go. Really enjoying 1.4, good fun!

@Jude Bradley:

The topic was: What is the experience with P3D and Windows8 and thats what I anwered from my point of view

1) If I get offered 60days of money back and I'm not satisfied with what I got, I might use this option if I like ;-)

2) Why should I? If I like to use WIndows7 I would re-install my SSD? btw. I'm 4 times MCITP with more than 20 years in business, so I really know what I do and better not do ;-)

3) Guess this was a joke, wasn't it? Were you really thinking about the Windows Start menu? I'm using Classic Shell since WIndows7 came out, but to make it clear to you: I was writing about the missing start menu within Prepar3D ;-)

Thank You

Ralf

P.S.

This last setup seems to work fine so far. I already did some IVAO Flights with different AddOn Aircraft, including the one from WADD to RJFU (NL Longhaul Tour 2012) in a 747-400 without any fatal crash.

actually I really thought you meant the Windows start menu :)

The reason I suggested the compatibilty mode for Prepar3d was that I had issues with the disapearing Saitek contollers - setting it to Windows 7 compatibilty mode fixed this for me.

One thing to ask, did you run an inplace upgrade to 8 or did you get the upgrade disk to format the disk to upgrade?

Jude Bradley

As with Jude's experience - changing P3D program to Win7 compatible resolved the disconnecting controller issue. Thanks.

Hi!

First setup was: Booting from DVD, Windows7 still in place on SSD. While setup is determining what drives are avaliable I did choose to remove the existing partitions.

The Windows8 setup created the hidden and the system partition newly and activated Windows8 automatically later on.

Next setup I tried a different way. I disconnected the LAN cable first, as I thought, I don't want to provide my Windows Live ID every time I start my computer. Deleted the Windows8 Partitions while setup was running and did continue "offline". Unfortunately Windows did not activate itself and did not show any dialog to do so, when I was online again.

As I thought the setup of P3D isn't stable I did the first way of setup again. Booting from DVD, Lancable connected, and deleting the partitions (this time of Windows8) to start again from "blank" SSD. Windows did activate itself automatically and everything appeared to work fine.

The Windows8 PRo/64Bit version is the official "29€ Upgrade" download offer from Microsoft from last weekend and as 3 of my USB Sticks weren't accepted I did wrote a DVD +R to setup the computer.

Saitek: At this time I only use the Cyborg V.1 with Saitek provided 64 drivers. My Flight Sim Yoke and/or the CH Pedals are not connected so far. I will try this sometime later and try to see i fI run into the same trouble you described.

Thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kindly regards

Ralf

P.S.

Ahhh, forgot something: Windows Search. As I have more than 100.000photos on my data drive D: and several files and whatever, Windows Search had a lot to do, to find and index all that stuff. I had 25% activity on drive D: while I did nothing at all and that search continued when I tried to fly anywhere.

So the 5th time I did rename "My pictures, my music etc." and gave Windows8 Search some 4 empty "Dummy folders" to search and index. :-) 0% activity on Drive D :-)

Thanks Ralf, (& daylight).

I too downloaded the €29.00 and make an ISO image.

Did a clean install (deleting all other partitions).

I found that the fonts in P3D look a bit strange (as if antialisaing was switched off on the P3D menu)

Do you also have this?

I'll probably wait until LM release an update for Windows 8.

Jude Bradley

Yes, the Dropdown Menu looks "strange". Have a look here at this screenshot:

Screenshot

Ralf