Sign in to follow this  
Simmer2050

How to fix localiser not aligned with runway [UHPP 34R]

Hi

Sitting on the runway Tuned 110.30 for 34R at UHPP, but the localiser is pointing way off to the left.

I used to see this before in where the localiser actually matches the runway opposite instead of the one its meant to, think i fixed that by moving Mytraffic scenery around in scenery.cfg.

But this time the localiser matches non of the 4 runways at UHPP.

Any idea how to fix this globally in fsx, if not whats the best way to fix for each airport i find the issue.

cheers

Thanks for the tip, just before i attempt to update my navaids.

I1. I only use defualt fsx airport which i assume only needs defualt fsx navaids.

2. The airport i have noticed this issue is UHPP it could be one from MyTraffic, that why ils not aligned with runway.

Also i have updated magdec.bgl to latest, but what file or folder should i give this tool MagVarCorrector.exe

Thanks

for the help

Update, just used MagVarCorrector.exe to update UHPP, and no change in the situation.

Also did a search in fsx install folder for *UHPP*.bgl, the only copy found was inside mytraffic folder, suggesting UHPP is not default FSX airport.

Should i be looking for aiurport editor to fix this, never used airport editor.

cheeers

Hi, I haven't used it myself yet. But I will try to look into it later on.. unless someone else here is able to help you out.

From what I understand it's supposed to work well though.

The runway is set to 338.77 and the localizer to 337.0. Are either or both correct? Dunno, I didn't search for Russian approach charts. It would be a quick and easy fix/change with one of the airport editors.

I looked at that airport and it apepars the runway heading is wrong in FSX. According to the Russain AIP it is 157.417/337.417. Looking at Goggle Earth it seems like that heading is right, though the lat/long in GE don't agree with what is in the Russian data (and Russia is using a datum they call PZ 90.02 which they claim is "equivalent" to WGS-84) so I take their word for it and moved around a GE background in ADEX so that the Rwy threshold positions matched.

I have a rough cut at the ADEX file if there is any interest in it.

scott s.

Hi

Sitting on the runway Tuned 110.30 for 34R at UHPP, but the localiser is pointing way off to the left.

I used to see this before in where the localiser actually matches the runway opposite instead of the one its meant to, think i fixed that by moving Mytraffic scenery around in scenery.cfg.

But this time the localiser matches non of the 4 runways at UHPP.

Any idea how to fix this globally in fsx, if not whats the best way to fix for each airport i find the issue.

cheers

Easily fixed with ADEX http://www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk/

The problem is that the stock airport had the Localizer aligned to 337.00 but the corresponding runway was aligned to 158.77/338.77. The further away from the airport you get the worse it aligns especially at distances usually around the FAF. Correcting the Localizer to also be 338.77 corrects the issue.

Here's a pic of the stock UHPP airport alignment on my system BEFORE ADEX correction:

http://www.mediafire...ixb1a1qulbqfsn4

Here's a pic of the ADEX corrected UHPP airport alignment on my system AFTER ADEX correction:

http://www.mediafire...23py5w388y1zcym

Regards

p.s. I used the Cessna 172 with the Garmin because it best visually shows the Localizer Arc Zoomed in or out... In this case, I aligned to the displayed Garmin localizer arc near the apex then snapped the pics.

Has anyone checked if this localiser is not offset in reality?

Has anyone checked if this localiser is not offset in reality?

Good question...

per definition

In aviation, a localizer (LOC) is one of the components of an Instrument Landing System (ILS), and it provides runway centerline guidance to aircraft. In some cases, a course projected by localizer is at an angle to the runway (usually due to obstructions around the airport. It is then called a Localizer Type Directional Aid (LDA).

However, in this case the chart does not call it an LDA and...

If it was meant to guide around obstructions to the airport, then being offset in the direction that it is in stock FSX would actually guide your flight path closer to some higher hills/mountains on the approach path on that side of the approach to runway 34R, a direct contradiction to the purpose of an offset Localizer as described above. If it was offset an equivalent amount to the other side of the approach path, I would be inclined to think that it had such a purpose but as it is to the wrong side, I am inclined to believe it's another FSX airport design goof of which there are many.

Tour definition is too simplistic. The centreline of the localiser can be offset from the runway centreline and the system is still ILS. Here's a current example of an ILS with a 3.75 deg offset.

Previous posts have complained about Microsoft's "goofs" when in fact it had taken the trouble to provide the correct angles for offset ILS systems.

Thanks for the support guys,

I have made the changes suggested by Gray_Lensman in ADE9 but i see no change.

The airport file i edit in ADE9 is this

D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\MyTraffic\Scenery\BR2_UHPP.BGL

its the only uhpp bgl on my PC so i assume it camer with mytraffix and its a not a defualt fsx airport.

After chnaging ILS heading to 338.770000 in ADE, i save the fuile using the ADE defualt naming convention, which, then rename it to BR2_UHPP.BGL so i can overwrite exisiting.

Generally well versed in tweaking fsx for years, but this first time i am using ADE.

I would paste a picture of the ILS properties page on here so you can see , but all the icons i see here on avsim editor seem to be about taking this disscusion to facebook and twitter :huh:, and non easily identiable for adding attachment, i do this in hotmail all the time

Tour definition is too simplistic. The centreline of the localiser can be offset from the runway centreline and the system is still ILS. Here's a current example of an ILS with a 3.75 deg offset.

Previous posts have complained about Microsoft's "goofs" when in fact it had taken the trouble to provide the correct angles for offset ILS systems.

In contrast to your example, the 2006 Jeppesen charts for UHPP do not claim to be an offset ILS, in fact they show an ILS in direct alignment with the exact degrees as runway 34R. I would think that if the offset was purposeful, it would show it in the charts the same as your example. see: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?t9vq2rsvf1t9run

its the only uhpp bgl on my PC so i assume it camer with mytraffix and its a not a defualt fsx airport.

After chnaging ILS heading to 338.770000 in ADE, i save the fuile using the ADE defualt naming convention, which, then rename it to BR2_UHPP.BGL so i can overwrite exisiting.

Generally well versed in tweaking fsx for years, but this first time i am using ADE.

I would paste a picture of the ILS properties page on here so you can see , but all the icons i see here on avsim editor seem to be about taking this disscusion to facebook and twitter :huh:, and non easily identiable for adding attachment, i do this in hotmail all the time

I made the changes with ADEX for FSX not FS9. Not being familiar with FS9's file layouts, I can only guess that assuming you got the change correct, your FS9 is NOT seeing your edited/changed *.bgl file yet and you are still seeing the stock layout.

Again, not knowing about FS9 files, but knowing FSX files, the STOCK internal airport files for FSX are NOT named directly for the airport such as UHPP.bgl, instead they are embedded within the scenery file structure... with UHPP being specifically embedded in a file named APX90130.bgl, but since you have an add-on airport, I wouldn't be sure what would take precedence. You might post a question on the ADEX forums for support for your FS9 question. They are pretty helpful there. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Simmer2050:

When using ADE, check the degrees the runway was constructed to because FSX and FS9 data might be different. I used 338.77 because the FSX UHPP runway was laid out to 338.77. In FS9, the older sim, it might very well have been a slightly different heading... Matter of fact, the Jeppesen charts for FS9 show 343 degrees. Use the same degrees heading for your Localizer correction as the FS9's runway heading... Maybe that is why you are still seeing an offset... Just guessing here.

Regards