Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

SMAA - Injections of Sugar, anyone?

A great thread running in the FSX forum, as some of you have probably read -

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/389455-have-any-of-you-tried-this-sweetfx/

With a link to the original post here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368880

It does work with DX10, and has a large set of changeable parameters - just like ENB. Just unpack it all into the FSX root, and give it a shot - then post your thoughts back here!

Thanks,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hmmm I'm tempted in trying this out, PJ, but with FSX's built-in bloom enabled on my system and still being able to maintain solid 30FPS in extreme cloudy conditions, I wonder what would the benefits be of using this instead of FSX's built-in bloom?

Enlighten me, Sensei...

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

I found the textures were very much sharper - like AF Aniso on steroids... colour and contrast much stronger... but i found no improvement in AA.

This is something like a cross between Shade and ENB seriries, minus the crashing. I did not install the two dx9 components. All of those setting are configurable, so anyone with some patience can custom-make their own improvement. Some frame-hit has been reported, but I think it's qoing to be a keeper for a good number of folks - especially those with horsepower to spare - just the ticket for another toy, eh, Efrain? :lol:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I found the textures were very much sharper - like AF Aniso on steroids... colour and contrast much stronger... but i found no improvement in AA.

This is something like a cross between Shade and ENB seriries, minus the crashing. I did not install the two dx9 components. All of those setting are configurable, so anyone with some patience can custom-make their own improvement. Some frame-hit has been reported, but I think it's qoing to be a keeper for a good number of folks - especially those with horsepower to spare - just the ticket for another toy, eh, Efrain? :lol:

lol I will give it a shot tomorrow, PJ, since I'm at work now till 7am... You said you did not install the two dx9 components. Did you simply not copy those 2 files into the FSX root folder?

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Right. I haven't gone back to DX9 once. This is too good.

I pretty much always make a folder for any FSX application under a general AA_FSX Sources, on my E drive, Bim, then apps like this go in there, get unpacked, read, and then moved to the sim. There's a similar, but separate folder for scenery - AB_FSX_Scenery. ORBX-FYX has a single folder inside this, wher all the Orbx airports, etc., go.

E drive is 1 or 1.5 TB, and putting an "AA_" or "AB_" pushes them to the top of the heap, and so easy to find.

Right. I haven't gone back to DX9 once. This is too good.

I pretty much always make a folder for any FSX application under a general AA_FSX Sources, on my E drive, Bim, then apps like this go in there, get unpacked, read, and then moved to the sim. There's a similar, but separate folder for scenery - AB_FSX_Scenery. ORBX-FYX has a single folder inside this, wher all the Orbx airports, etc., go.

E drive is 1 or 1.5 TB, and putting an "AA_" or "AB_" pushes them to the top of the heap, and so easy to find.

Nice, that is very similar to what I do as well. My second HDD is used as a back up drive and before I make any change/addition to FSX, I always create an updated FSX install back up. This way if something goes drastically wrong, I will always have a nice backup to fall back to.

As for DX-10, PJ, I really don't understand why this hasn't really taken off or why so many people are so reluctant to even consider it. I'm telling you, now that DX-10 preview is working plus Word Not Allowed's guide, my FSX has never been any better. I am running ALL sliders to the right, 4XSGSS, Bloom, cloud density at 10 and my FSX is amazingly stable at 30FPS. NOT ONE SINGLE STUTTER. It's almost impossible to believe. Granted my system is heavily overclocked to 5GHz and I do have a 4GB version of the GTX680, but without DX-10 and the tweaks, it would still stutter more than a guilty person in the witness stand.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

...aaaand I'm right up there with ya, Bimmer.. Don't worry - it's taking off. Folks are always reluctant to change, and this is the biggest change to the sim in a looong time. Whereas most developers will adhere to the SDK, there are some respected folks within the developer group who will always smack anything new - down, which they have no knowledge of, or didn't take part in, as "never meant to be" - this happens all the time - even now ******* Altuve's "BufferPools=0, and Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction is still unfairly knocked in some quarters. Add to it, of course - we don't exactly advertise that it's 99.99% fixed, either.

Bimmer - it's the kind of post like yours that will light someone's fire! There are a number of other guys here, too, that are 100% "DX10"'ers, me included. Perhaps we should visit a good number of the other sites - dev sites, too - and start spreading the word.... kinda like "Steve's DX10 Disciples" - pass out "The Word" - you know.. stir the pot a bit.. :biggrin: Yes?

...aaaand I'm right up there with ya, Bimmer.. Don't worry - it's taking off. Folks are always reluctant to change, and this is the biggest change to the sim in a looong time. Whereas most developers will adhere to the SDK, there are some respected folks within the developer group who will always smack anything new - down, which they have no knowledge of, or didn't take part in, as "never meant to be" - this happens all the time - even now ******* Altuve's "BufferPools=0, and Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction is still unfairly knocked in some quarters. Add to it, of course - we don't exactly advertise that it's 99.99% fixed, either.

Bimmer - it's the kind of post like yours that will light someone's fire! There are a number of other guys here, too, that are 100% "DX10"'ers, me included. Perhaps we should visit a good number of the other sites - dev sites, too - and start spreading the word.... kinda like "Steve's DX10 Disciples" - pass out "The Word" - you know.. stir the pot a bit.. :biggrin: Yes?

LMAO Oh trust me, walk in the park for me. hahahaha Let's start handing out the "Kool-Aid" hahaha

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Uh-oh... I see more paperwork ahead.... :lol:

Bed-time, ma man!

See ya later.. the boss-lady "wants me" for something... :wub:

Uh-oh... I see more paperwork ahead.... :lol:

Bed-time, ma man!

See ya later.. the boss-lady "wants me" for something... :wub:

HAHAHAHA And I doubt she wants to talk about DX-10! Night brother...

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Ive tried this sweetfx a time ago, it looks pretty cool. But for me it looks likes it breaks the AA of FSX. Is this correct? Even without the lumsharpen or smaa on. Just the tonemap / bloom etc.

Overall I found this tool to be of no value for FSX in DX10 preview. My monitor's enhancing presets (which I use occasionally) closely mimic the behaivor of its enhancing modes (without the overhead), plus its HDR emulation and bloom take a sizeable FPS bite, at least on my computer. I also found its SMAA is a big step backwards from what I dialed in for AA using fsx.cnfg + NI. Of course, YMMV with this tool.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence too. I am not noticing a frame rate hit. I will wait for one of the geniuses to fiddle with the settings and watch with interest.

Good point about the monitor settings, too.