Sign in to follow this  
willywonka

Semi-unresponsive plane?

Lately the NGX has been semi-unresponsive after a short bit of flying. The switches still click and the displays still run, but the autopilot will not follow the FD, and occasionally the pressurization logic acts really weird.

It still response to manual input though, but CMD A or B does not command the plane.

Reminds me of when the NGX used to freeze back when it was released. I wonder if this is an related issue.

Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

Preston, look for repeatable, consistent triggers for the problem.

- Is it always on flights between two given airports or over a given scenery?

- Are you using the same routing/SID/STARs between the two locations?

- Did it suddenly start happening after some system change? (i.e. new hardware or a change to FSX)

I haven't seen this issue lately, so I'm inclined to suggest you look for external factors on your wider setup that might have caused this.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Did it start when you started using OpusFSX? Are you getting the "S turns around course" on autopilot? You may have to disable turbulence.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Did it start when you started using OpusFSX? Are you getting the "S turns around course" on autopilot? You may have to disable turbulence.

Hook

Well, sort of. I started using Opus two weeks prior to the start of this problem. I'll recheck my settings.

Preston, look for repeatable, consistent triggers for the problem.

- Is it always on flights between two given airports or over a given scenery?

- Are you using the same routing/SID/STARs between the two locations?

- Did it suddenly start happening after some system change? (i.e. new hardware or a change to FSX)

I haven't seen this issue lately, so I'm inclined to suggest you look for external factors on your wider setup that might have caused this.

Yes, I'm trying to note down what triggers the problem. So far, nothing obvious has jumped out.

I just saw Opus updated the weather (saw slight cloud shift) and the A/P immediately stopped responding.

I was able to get the A/P reconnected after several tries. Hmmm.... I wonder if this is a simconnect issue?

This is a very difficult problem! It's hard to figure out something is the trigger or just coincidence.

So far it happens about 50 minutes after take off, then again about 2:45 after take off. This is on different route each time so scenery is not a concern, and also from fresh (default) panel state.

Also seems to happen at a waypoint.

And it's not controller interference issue. I did a test flight without any controllers connected.

Sometimes it starts with the plane banking uncontrollably either way, and sometimes it just drifts away from the altitude it was flying. A/T also doesn't respond.

After I kick the A/P off for about a minute, the A/P works again when reengages.

I'm very confused. I'd reinstall the whole FSX, but that doesn't really guaranteed that it'll fix the problem.

Regretably I ended up wiping the whole FSX partition clean. I've tested the NGX in a fresh FSX and it ran great.

Now I left it to run for several hours (thanks to the holding mode) with Opus so I'll see how it goes. I'm not watching it at the screen but instead at the pub. This is one of the greatest privilage of a sim pilot.

The good news is I've isolated the problem. The bad news is I don't know how to fix it :/

FSX (fresh install) + NGX = ok

FSX +NGX + Opus = ok

FSX + NGX + FS2Crew 1.4 = occasional unresponsiveness

I'm going to try FS2Crew 1.1 now... :/

I finally got the anomaly on recording. It was like trying to get Bigfoot on camera.

The A/P becomes either unresponsive or overcontrols the plane.

It starts with the A/P not keeping altitude

Neither F/D or A/P will follow the selected Heading Select mode

A/T not responding to Speed commands

F/D doesn't respond to the selected Level Change mode. A/T commands Retard but throttles do not respond.

LNAV reselected by the plane overshoots and overbanks

A/P misses the MCP commanded altitude. F/D responds by commanding nose up but A/P does not respond.

Selecting CMD B forces the plane to respond

Plane over responds to Level Change command

The elevator was stuck in extreme Up position

CMD B deselected to manually neutralize the elevator

CMD A reselected--no result

No control surfaces input by A/P

After this it eventually work and A/P regains control of the plane.

This happens nearly always about 1 hour after takeoff, and occurs again about 3-4 hours after takeoff.

This happens regardless of flightplan, panel state (new or loaded) ,aircraft variant or repaint, aircraft location, with weather or without.

No joysticks were plugged in. The only manual input given to the plane was at 2:43 via keyboard to neutralize the elevator.

As bizarre as it looks, it's repeatable and somewhat predictable.

Here's another capture of it from continued testing. This one shows momentary failure in pressurization logic. I didn't make it do crazy maneuvers this time.

Pressurization logic failed during climb out and A/P becomes unresponsive--airplane is drifting from F/D and target speed

Pressure Differential exceeded 9.1psi, cabin altitude 0ft, and AUTO FAIL light. Cabin shows climb but doesn't really. No difference in ALTN mode

Disconnect the A/P to "reset" it

Reengage the A/P, now responding

Attempt to sort out the pressurization manually in MANUAL mode by bringing up the cabin altitude to lower the differential

Cabin altitude 10000ft horn sounded (this is otherwise normal)

Silent the horn

Brought the AUTO logic back to operation

- end A/P operates normally and captures the altitude

This happened during climb out (18 min after takeoff). Most often it happens about 1 hour after takeoff, and occurs again about 3-4 hours after takeoff.

Well, looks like I'm all alone here. PMDG sent me a reply:

"I have honestly never heard of any behavior like that from any other customers so i'm not sure what exactly the problem is. Unfortunately, since it only happens with FS2Crew, it is not something we can really do much to correct. Short of a clean install of FSX and the NGX and FS2Crew, I don't have any other recommendations that I could make. Brian would be the only one who could likely figure out what the issue might be."

:'(

Short answer is no, the long is it doesn't really matter. It happens from free flight (default panel state) or from loading a saved panel state.

I think I figured it out a bit more: On further testing, I actually think it's the weather program OpusFSX causing the problem. Last time I encounter the A/P unresponsiveness, I exited Opus and the A/P immediately started behaving normally again.

I don't know how Opus is interacting with NGX if at all, but it's doing something NGX doesn't like.