Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

As close to a GE90-115B engine start you'll get!

Unless you're sitting inside of course -

http://youtu.be/5einoo1co-g

You can get a feel for the size of her engines from that view. Go check out the screenshots and do some comparisons - you can really see PMDG have got it right!

Lies!

At my old job I had the privilege of being where that camera guy stood. Makes me miss my old job a little bit. The pay, schedule and people don't, but playing with airplanes all day does...

Kyle Rodgers

Ya I know how you feel, I,m still down there :) and :(. I work with the q400s though, that will be much harder for pmdg to master for start up sounds. Will be interesting to see if they can get it just right.

-travis

Ya I know how you feel, I,m still down there ^_^ and :( .

I know how you feel. Trust me, it's not too much better in my position. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, and my position doesn't afford me ignorance. I love what I'm learning and the access I have, but at the same time, seeing behind the scenes isn't always fun, either. It's like when I worked at the pool. I didn't have to work much, and could go swimming all day and get a nice tan, but I also learned how much crap (occasionally literally) is in pool water...haha.

Kyle Rodgers

I remember standing near the fence of a taxiway here in Frankfurt as a TAM B77W taxied by. No joke, the earth was shaking! Those GE90's are true monsters.

No joke, the earth was shaking!

Yeah, for sure. Occasionally, you'd hear/feel an overpressure at some point during the engine start (atmospheric conditions dependent, it seemed). I'm assuming when the fuel got added in, but I could be wrong. Similarly, when the BA 744 would taxi by on the taxilanes, they'd cut at least one engine and you'd hear similar. It seemed to be only BA's Rollers, but it might have been because none of the others cut then engines taxiing by where I stood.

Speaking of the ramp, if anyone is ever wondering why I get so upset about blatantly false information, just go spend a day out on the ramp. I had a rampie tell me that aircraft landing and taxi lights emit radiation that will make you go blind if you ever marshal one in while it has its lights on. Another one said it was against the FARs for SAABs to taxi in on two engines...

(and no, even if you're thinking it was in the Ground Ops Manual/Agreement, the only mention was that the pilots may opt for two engine taxi ins, depending on surface conditions)

Kyle Rodgers

Yeah, for sure. Occasionally, you'd hear/feel an overpressure at some point during the engine start (atmospheric conditions dependent, it seemed).

Indeed, you can always feel a triple starting it's mighty engines. I haven't seen that effect being caused by any other aircraft.

I remember standing near the fence of a taxiway here in Frankfurt as a TAM B77W taxied by. No joke, the earth was shaking! Those GE90's are true monsters.

You should be onboard one. My mum and the rest of the cabin looked generally worried whilst I had the fattest grin on my face ha!

You should be onboard one. My mum and the rest of the cabin looked generally worried whilst I had the fattest grin on my face ha!

Yeah I'd love to fly on a 777 but I usually fly short to mid hops around Europe. (A320's, CRJ's, ERJ's ARJ's and NG's of course!)

I once flew with Emirates to Dubai, hoping to get a ride on the -300ER but ended up disappointed at the gate looking at an A340-500...

I once flew with Emirates to Dubai, hoping to get a ride on the -300ER but ended up disappointed at the gate looking at an A340-500...

So Emirates practically slapped you round the face :LMAO:

Fly to Munich then to Manchester and back (77W) :-)