Sign in to follow this  
Guest Raul_Hernandez

XP10 and ATI Cards

You cant run these cards in SLI as far as I know and use the exta ports on the other card.

The quality is good in DCS where I am using the 5 monitors but certainly lacks more in xplane and fsx.

Firstly AMD cards take a hit with clouds which is also seen in FSX , second LR states to get a card with minimum of 2000 passmarks . I have a HD 7750 in the KSEA demo area I get around 25-29 fps with no clouds and once I enabled the clouds wham down to 10-11.

I would suggest trying out all the rendering options and getting your sweet spot. You could lower some of the features in CCC too.

SLI / XFire may not help in XPX.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

To the OP, I have an atiHD 5770 exactly teh same as you on an i5 Sandybridge chip 2500k. Ok now for the info you want, I run XP10:20 32bit at 30fps. keep in mind though you will need to adjust your settings to achieve that, I have tons of roads, populated trees and clouds at 33%, I am very pleased with the results. I have not yet had my XP crash due to out of memory or anything else for that matter. 30fps in XP10 is way different to 30fps in FSX. its smoother more fluid and of course some of the effects of the latest aircraft are just awesome.

Wycliffe

My frames are not really a problem in xpx, I am happy enough with them and my display is 8MP.

I would really like the better aa and a bit less shimmering that I understand the nvidea would give me.

I would really like the better aa and a bit less shimmering that I understand the nvidea would give me.

Than you need something more powerful than the 5770 I guess. Else go with a Nvidia.

I have a 7970, it's not the performance of the gpu that's the problem it's just that xplane doesn't give good aa with ati cards. It's already turned up to levels that are perfectly good in other games but don't work with xplane.

I have a 7970, it's not the performance of the gpu that's the problem it's just that xplane doesn't give good aa with ati cards. It's already turned up to levels that are perfectly good in other games but don't work with xplane.

Ah ok. than you have to do one thing. I am using the 12.11 Beta Catalyst drivers which are meant to boost performance with 7xxx series cards due to the GCN architecture. I have a boost in performance with these drivers but they are still in Beta stage. That card of yours is powerful.

I feel with the beta you will see a good boost in performance even with higher settings. You could try enabling Vsync and then enable Triple Buffering.

If i use XPX I don't use clouds and HDR and water to low and world view distance to low.

I am using DX10 in FSX and it works pretty well.

XPX is also CPU intensive with AI and road traffic.

I don't mind betas but I did install the 12.11 and it almost cost me my entire windows install. I finally got a windows restore to get things going ok but it really screwed things up. I have been too shy to try again :)

I don't mind betas but I did install the 12.11 and it almost cost me my entire windows install.

Hmm I have tried all 12.11 betas and did not get a crash. The betas are very stable except a flicker in dx9. It requires dotnet 4.0 framework.

Jason, I was in the same position as you. Performance was not an isuue with the 6970. I had no problem getting a solid 30fps, but it looked rather poor. The AA had to be turned way down, and the shimmering was terrible. What I saw on my monitors was not pleasing. Who wants to turn down eye candy just so a program will run at a fluid state. I spent the last year with XPX trying to make it look nice and it just wasen't going to happen with a Ati card. Tried every driver I could get my hands on, always the latest beta, in the end it made no difference. Xplane period, looks, runs, smells better on Nvidia. I just switched last week from a higher end Ati card to a higher end Nvidia card, there is no comparison in visual quality. Forget the performance increase from the 670, which was huge, visually XPX looks way better than it ever could with the Ati card.

So, to Raul, if you stricktly use your system for XPX, buy a Nvidia card. Card for card, regardless whats reported on paper performance wise, there is no comparison visually with the end result in XPX, Nvidia wins hands down. Do I like it, no, now I have a $300+ video card that I have to try to sell. If your system is used for other things as well, then it's your call how much you care about the visual quality in XPX. Again, performance is not the issue with Ati, it's whats represented on the monitor that is, when it comes to XPX.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

SLI/XFire won't affect performance at all in XP10, it would run as if you only had 1 card in the case and thus the card would have to be able to run sufficiently by itself to be of use, but with the XFire/SLI configurations, you gain the ability to have combined outputs from the cards. In other games that support multiple GPUs, you might gain a bit of rendering ability from the cards sharing the load, but I'm jumping the SLI bandwagon in favor of one big card just because it seems that one 680 kills 2x 670s in most performance reviews by 10+%, costs about the same, but generates less heat and sucks less power (requiring a more suitable and less demanding power supply). I was running 2x 9800GTXs on a power supply that was roughly the only one that could put up the wattage on separate rails the cards sucked down and have enough left over for the 130W CPU and 10W for the rest of the motherboard and RAM to use for headroom. Now, with 1 GTX 670, I could use a 800W PSU instead of the 1100W PSU I needed for the SLI cards and the CPU can overclock due to not having to deal with the extra heat put out by a second card radiating heat directly into the cool air intake of the upper card and it subsequently putting out more heat into the case.