Sign in to follow this  
QF 737

Boeing iPad OPT

If you've ever wondered what pilots use for flight performance calculations and you own an iPad, go to the App Store and search for Boeing or Boeing OPT.

The app is for demonstration purposes, so the database is limited - I think the OPT app is for the 777-300ER, so, for the Takeoff Weight field, you'll need to enter a 773ER TOW. I would recommend 300000 (kg).

Is there a market for a PMDG developed iPad based performance tool? Would PMDG even be willing to develop a similar app for its fleet of Boeing simulations?

Mike McKenna.

Now that's a money-making idea!

Imagine something with the power and functionality of something like Topcat that interfaces with the PC, FSX, and PMDG products. I would love to load my MD-11F this way, fuel it, and program my FMC via an app.

After all we do have FSX and Foreflight now.

I can imagine the nightmares in coding, testing, etc...but that's where you magical software people come in. I'm on the, "Let me give you my cold, hard, digital cash and hasten my inevitable FSX-induced divorce" side of things!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd be happy with a PMDG app that just does performance calculations and functions like the Boeing OPT.

The TOPCAT one is good but it isn't written specifically for the NGX, and its PC based. If there's something I hate, it is the miscorrelation of performance figures.

Mike.

If there's something I hate, it is the miscorrelation of performance figures.

Never had to calc and fly a Cessna, have you?

Kyle Rodgers

Sorry, but can't find it. Got a direct link?

sig.gif

EDIT Never mind, found it under Boeing Onboard Performance Tool.

Edited by badderjet

Looks good Kepti. Good to know you are still on it.

The TOPCAT one is good but it isn't written specifically for the NGX,

Well, unless you want to skew the real data for the NGX specifically... But I dont think that is the way to go.

and its PC based.

Well, that one is a valid concern... Maybe a webbased tool could be the answer?

If there's something I hate, it is the miscorrelation of performance figures.

Well, you would hate the real world then... No, really, every plane is different. Engine wear&tear, not-quite-correct weight guesstimates, not quite on the spot weather report. You will not always be 100% correlating on performance figures.

Precisely what I want Aleksi... Just for the NGX specifically though. I'm not really interested in one that calculates performance for 737-XXX generically.

Sorry Etienne i'm glad you found it in the end.

Peter

- I don't know how PMDG derived their aircraft performance data for the NGX, specifically the 800 - but whatever they used, I would like/enjoy (but don't need) a perf tool based solely on that data. I agree with you - no data skewing!

- maybe a web based platform would work for you and many others. I'd prefer an app that's not reliant on internet connx - one that functions like the OPT - Like Aleksi's work. Though I'd prefer a PMDG developed app (no offense intended Aleksi, such is the PMDG benchmark).

- I'm relatively conversant with airline ops, given its my paid job to be so.

Yes, every aircraft is different - the effectivity of relevant info should always observed. (Which is why I ask for an OPT written specifically for the NGX 800, not generically for all 737's).

Yes, weights may vary. There are many control measures in place to manage and monitor the weight of an aircraft (too many to list). I'm sure you can list one or two.

Yes, the weather varies, almost predictably - almost.

Despite all this, a very high degree of accuracy between calculated performance and actual performance can be achieved at the planning phase - this accuracy is then furthered at the dispatch phase - finally, whilst in the flight deck, last minute changes/info/updates will come through eventually resulting in correlation between calculated, and actual figures.

Cheers,

Mike McKenna.

it's not possible to get information about 73 in the app Unless you call Boeing or something right?

So has anybody ever contacted his Boeing sales rep regarding availability and pricing for us sim pilots?  :smile: Very nice to have a demo version at least, make sure to check out the Airbus and Embraer ones too!

So has anybody ever contacted his Boeing sales rep regarding availability and pricing for us sim pilots?  Very nice to have a demo version at least, make sure to check out the Airbus and Embraer ones too!

Says it'd come free with my fleet, but I have to buy at least 3 planes to qualify?