Hi all,

I've been experiencing quite a lot of shimmering in FSX. Over the last weeks I have been searching high and low for solutions and I've probably covered almost topic. Until now I have been able to reduce it somewhat but there was a moment I just accepted it as part of FSX-life ;-)

Until yesterday, when I noticed something strange.... When I use TrackIR5 the shimmering is there, but when I pan around with the mouse (using the middle mouse button), the shimmering is practically gone! It's really odd but true! I've only been able to find one topic on this but there wasn't much info there.

Anyone experiencing the same thing? Or better, know a solution?

Ray

i7@4,9Ghz

Asus P8P67

16Gb 1600mhz

Asus GTX 660Ti OC

Windows 7 64bit

Hi, Are you in windowed mode or full screen. I had loads of issues in windowed mode, but none at all in full screen.

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan!

I'm always in windowed mode because I use the second screen for other applications while simming. But ofcourse I did give it a go in full-screen. Unfortunately, there was no difference. TrackIR=shimmering, mouse-look=fine.

Just a thought, but could the movements made bij trackIR be so tiny that this causes shimmering? I tried to replicate it by moving the mouse very slowly but couldn't replicate the small movements made by trackIR.

Ray

You might want to check to make sure your Track IR is not seeing some other heat source. A open window / sunlight coming behind can cause my Track IR to shimmer.

Are you using some extra view engine software like EzDok? I'm guessing that since you mentioned looking around with your middle mouse button. In that case it might actually be related to issues with EzDok. Try disabling it to check if it helps and later follow the guide on setting up EzDok with TrackIR. Might help.

Hi Souls,

the track-clip pro works really well and since it's 'cold 'n dark' here during winter I don't think this is it. I'll keep an eye out for it though!

Hi Kowgli

Yes, I also use ezdok. All seems to work fine but I'll have a go at it. Will report back as soon as possible (for a father of two very energetic two-year old boys)

- unchecking the 'trueview' box was the only change I had to make after watching the video. Couldn't see any improvements though..

thanks for the idea's guys, but it's a strange thing...

Ray

I don't believe that TrackIR is the cause of "shimmering." Rather the shimmering is a result of your transparency AA settings but only becomes more noticeable because of the head movement. I used to have this too, but then I started using multisample/off for transparency AA (instead of supersampling which is more resource intensive) and there really is no more issue. Planes like the JS41 are going to exhibit a bit of this anyway, in my experience, but you can at least mitigate it. Pretty sure of this.

Also what profile are you using with the trackir, mine was utterly rubbish until i downloaded a good profile. I use Sethflight (i believe its called)

Alan

hi KingGhidorah,

It would explain the difference is shimmering between trackir and mouse movements. Could you perhaps share your AA/SS settings in some more detail?

Hi alan,

I couldn't agree more. Default settings almost brought me to the point of returning the thing. But when I found the sethflight profile, i decided to keep it ^_^ Much better!

Ray

Ray,

It's most definitely the movements of your viewpoint that are causing the shimmering (TrackIR cannot and will not affect the actual graphics, only the angles you are viewing the graphics from!). If you are using mouselook to move your viewpoint it's much smoother, and you can make TrackIR movement smoother by increasing the smooth variable in the profile you are using, and activate the precision mode (I believe the default key command is F8).

If you are using the TrackIR v5 software, what I do is activate precision mode, then adjusted the smooth variable for an acceptable movement speed vs. smoothness.

Here's what I use for AA/AF settings in nVidia Inspector for a smooth experience with TrackIR/EZCA/OpusFSX and with little to no FPS loss:

eAbJS.jpg

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I am having the same problem with Track IR. Going to try some suggestions in this thread and see if it works.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

For me, the Sparse Grid Supersampling that many use is just too much of a resource drag compared to the gain. So for the Nvidia inspector FSX profile I use:

Antialiasing Mode = Override

Antialising - Setting = 8xS

Antialising - Transparency Multisampling = Enabled

Antialising - Transparency Supersampling = Off/Multisampling

Anistropic filtering mode = Userdefined

Anistropic flitering setting = 16x

Texture filtering - Neg LOD bias = Clamp

Texture filtering - Quality = High Quality

sorry guys, tried it all... none of it seems to work though. Thanks for your help anyway. But it does seem that the headmovements make the shimmering more pronounce than mouse movements.

Hope Eric has some beter results!

Ray