Sign in to follow this  
b738pilot

Run out of memory problem, windows xp !with 3GB mod!

Hi everyone,

Recently I started to encounter a very strange problem. FS9 frequently crashes because of the 'run out of memory problem' despite having my Win XP 'modded' to read 3GB of RAM. What is interesting is that the problem occurs only when I approach Madrid Barajas (I've got Mega Airport Barajas). I fly many other routes and there is no problem. Lately I was flying from Manchester to Gran Canaria (4 hours flight) and I had no problem in completing the flight.

I reinstalled the scenery - the first flight to Barajas after having done it went without any problems. Yesterday I flew to Barajas, flight from Schiphol (about 2:10 hours) and again - crash, due to lack of memory available.

What intrigues me the most - I installed Win XP on my computer more than a year ago. I started encountering the problem with lack of memory, thus I modded the system to 3GB XP. It solved the problem for more than a year but out of nowhere the problem occurred again a few days ago. And only at Barajas !

I recently began updating my traffic files and have been compiling them from different flightplans available at Avsim library such as Alpha-India group flightplans.

So my question is - what might be the cause of the problem? Corruption of some file(s) of the Mega Airport Barajas scenery, or maybe some problem with traffic.bgl files? (maybe duplicating aircrafts or corrupted repaint or sth else?)

Please help, I really need the problem to be solved as Madrid is my base at FS, I fly virtual Air Europa 738 !!

Any ideas? :D

Hi try to deactivate all LC. files which are in your Scenery Library. (start with LC from Amsterdam to Madrid)

I recently began updating my traffic files and have been compiling them from different flightplans available at Avsim library such as Alpha-India group flightplans.

Likely suspect is either duplicate AFCADS for LEMD or a dodgy ai texture.

1. check that you have no duplicate AFCADS for LEMD

2. Establish a time/day when you will get a consistent crash at LEMD

3. Turn ai down to 0% and see if you still get the crash

4. If no crash ....then play "hunt the dodgy ai texture"

Peter Schluter

Actually there are two AFCADs for LEMD, for north and south wind configuration. But together with the scenery comes the tool that enables you to choose either one, so although there are two AFCADs, always only one is active (that's for sure, I checked it - the active one has .bgl extension, while the inactive one .bgx).

What just came to my mind what might be important. I modified a bit these two original AFCADs that come with the scenery - I changed the classification of a few stands from RAMP to GATES. I wonder, maybe my modification causes some sort of a conflict with what had been programmed in the configuration files of the scenery? (Apologise for a layman's language but I'm not a programmer, I hope you know what I mean :D)

I'll try "hunt the dodgy ai texture", but only after New Year's Eve, and will see if it's a texture causing problems.

I will also try deactivating LC files and will let you know if it changes something. Out of curiosity, why LC files may cause the problem?

Thank you for so quick replies!! :)

Check your Spanair AI texture files; there used to be a problem with oversize texture files for some of the Spanair AI models. If you search the web for "Spanair AI textures" you will find some discussion of this issue and possible fixes on other forums.

John G.

Check your Spanair AI texture files; there used to be a problem with oversize texture files for some of the Spanair AI models. If you search the web for "Spanair AI textures" you will find some discussion of this issue and possible fixes on other forums.

Spanair's textures definitely aren't the problem. I haven't changed anything in the Spanair's traffic file for like a year and the problem started occurring only a few days ago.

b738pilot as far as I can tell there are TWO solutions for XP floating around, a 3GB patch and a 4GB patch ... the latter only allows approx.3.3GB in essence, the max XP will address. Which one have you applied?

Secondly FS9 needs modification to its exe. file so that it is large address aware. No use one without the other.

Thirdly you are flying between two MEGA airports which use MEGA amounts of ram to accommodate, particularly if your use Aerosoft's Schiphol. I note you fly 738 (iFly?) but what other programs do you have running concurrently - weather, ATC, TrackIR etc?

What did you use to edit the AFCAD..... ADE ? Should be fine

No other AFCAD installed by a traffic program perhaps ?

In that case probably an AI texture

Peter Schluter

b738pilot as far as I can tell there are TWO solutions for XP floating around, a 3GB patch and a 4GB patch ... the latter only allows approx.3.3GB in essence, the max XP will address. Which one have you applied?

Secondly FS9 needs modification to its exe. file so that it is large address aware. No use one without the other.

Thirdly you are flying between two MEGA airports which use MEGA amounts of ram to accommodate, particularly if your use Aerosoft's Schiphol. I note you fly 738 (iFly?) but what other programs do you have running concurrently - weather, ATC, TrackIR etc?

I have the following line in the boot.ini file - "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with /3GB" /3GB /Userva=2560 /noexecute=optin /fastdetect". When I open the task manager it shows that I have 4956M of memory available.

Concerning the modification of FS9.exe, I can't recall having done anything like this, could you please explain how to do it? But even if I hadn't done that, it's still weird that the run out of memory problem started occurring all of a sudden, after having run FS smoothly for more than a year...

I fly the PMDG 737NG, other apps are Active Sky 6 and Ground Environment Pro.

What did you use to edit the AFCAD..... ADE ? Should be fine

No other AFCAD installed by a traffic program perhaps ?

In that case probably an AI texture

I have AFCAD 2.2.1.0. When I use the open function in AFCAD only two files show up, one of the stock airport and the mod one, so I believe there are no other AFCADs.

I use TTools to compile traffic files and WOAI Installer for packages, I think it's highly unlikely that they installed some other AFCAD.

I'll try to change the stands I modified back to RAMP maybe that helps. If not, I'll focus on finding a dodgy texture.

I would advise against using AFCAD2.2.1.0 to edit modern payware/freeware sceneries. When you save you can lose elements of the scenery. You should use Airport Design editor instead. I don't know if your edits using AFCAD2 can cause a crash, but i would advise a reinstall of the mega Airport (or revert to the original AFCADS if you made backups.

If you still have a problem , but only when AI are in use then its a texture problem...good luck they can take a while to find. Using FSRepaint will not help as a faulty texture can still show fine in that program. I go to the problem airport at a time i know there will be a crash and using spot view zoomed in a bit cycle through the ai until i see a grey texture for a nanosecond before the sim crashes. Usually enough time to recognise the type. Then its a case of removing aircraft folders/texture folders until you narrow down the culprit. Once found you can run the texture through imagetool.exe and just re-save.

Peter Schluter

pschlute, thanks for advice, I will be using the airport design editor from now on.

I will try reinstalling the scenery.

Recently when I added a few new traffic files, I saw two grey planes with faulty textures at LEMD but they didn't cause the crash. So I think it's a matter of luck whether the FS crashes because of a faulty texture or not :D

For the moment I'd like to thank you for your responses, I will start fixing the problem the day after tomorrow at soonest and I wish you a happy New Year's Eve! :) In 6 hours in my time zone :D

Hello:

You may wish to follow my step-by-step tutorial linked below, which uses a proven method and utility to add the "LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE" flag to FS9.exe, and to also set 32-bit versions of Windows to allow more user virtual address space (aka "USERVA ") ex: up to 2560 MB aka 2.56 GB ...per task session for 32-bit applications.

This would enable FS9.exe (as a 32-bit application), to access 560 MB or 0.56 GB beyond the default 2.0 GB of "user virtual address space" and/or RAM which FS9 would normally be limited to:

http://forum.simflig...the-3gb-switch/

Hope this helps ! :smile:

GaryGB

It turned out that I had already modified fs9.exe to use >2gb memory before :) Now, I will be testing if fs crashes after having reinstalled the scenery..

Ok I flew to Madrid today. I was flying from Manchester. Approach to runway 18R and the FS ran out of memory at exactly 18.4nm DME ILS from 18R. Seconds before it crashed, it began stuttering.

For me it seemed like the FS started loading the scenery at that point (I experience a little bit of stuttering when some bigger airports start to load, so I think it was exactly the moment when the scenery began to be loaded) but for some reason couldn't load the airport and crashed.

I took a glance at the bug report. So what was in the report:

In error description - ModName:pmdgoptions.dll (may the reason be that sth's wrong with the pmdg?)

The following files will be included in the bug report - fs9.CFG.txt, dxdiag.xml and scenery.cfg .

Does it ring a bell to any of you? As I said, I suspect sth bad happened to the scenery... (But why there was no problem with it for more than a year?).

I started thinking about throwing out XP and switching to Win 7....