Sign in to follow this  
FlyBoy96

Is This True?

Singapore Airlines also does a WSSS-UUDD-KIAH (SIA62) and KIAH-UUDD-WSSS (SIA61) using a B777-3000ER. I see it flying overhead the Chicago area sometimes.

If you've seen this aircraft perform you will know how amazingly versatile it is.

A little perspective please. A Lockheed C130 Hercules is versatile. A Boeing 777 is three hundred thousand pounds of commercial airliner. It is quite veratile as passenger jets with over 300 seats go, but lets not get carried away here.

Take the statement. With a grain of salt. The LR obviously won't be able to fly from Murrayfield (a grass strip south of YPPH perth WA) to LCY

Take the statement. With a grain of salt. The LR obviously won't be able to fly from Murrayfield (a grass strip south of YPPH perth WA) to LCY

Challenge accepted!! :LMAO:

On a more serious note though, a more accurate statement would be: "the 777 can connect any two major airports in the world"

Hahaha someone's confident lol

On a more serious note though, a more accurate statement would be: "the 777 can connect any two major airports in the world"

.......via OMDB xP

Myth busted. Even the 777 can't fly London to Auckland non-stop. Great circle route is 9,910NM and that leaves questionable ETOPS coverage over the Artic and the Western Pacific, and I haven't been able to find a valid ETOPS route under 10,100 NM.

I think Air Canada Polar operations from Toronto to Hong kong is pertty close.

Why would you think the 777 could land on a short runway? You would not expect a 747 to land on a grass strip, have you forgotton just how big an aircraft the 777 is?

Even a lightly loaded 747SP can land on a comparatively short runway as long as there isn't need for it to take off again: http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=bq_Xhvn1UlE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dbq_Xhvn1UlE

Simply not true.

Any two airports on opposite sides of the world are going to be 10,000 Nm apart, the T7 is only good for 9,000Nm. The only aircraft I know of (and it has not been built yet), then can do 10,000 nautical miles commercially (i.e. not first class only) is the proposed A350-900R.

I am afraid it IS TRUE!!!... quoted from Boeing Commercial airplane website...

"The 777-200ER (extended range), in Malaysia Airlines livery, established a new Great Circle Distance Without Landing record. The airplane flew from Boeing Field, Seattle, to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, covering 12,455.34 statute miles (20,044.20 km). The same airplane later went on to complete a record-setting circumnavigation of the world, establishing a new speed world record for its size and class of airplane. The Speed Around the World, Eastbound record was set by traveling the Seattle-Kuala Lumpur-Seattle route at an average speed of 553 miles per hour (889 km/h)."

Cristian Caicedo

I know this flight was not comercially operated, but that was not the original question. As the above poster pointed out, the 777 can link any two major airports. Quoting the Boeing website again;

"On Nov. 9-10, 2005, a Boeing 777-200LR Worldliner set a new world record for distance traveled non-stop by a commercial jetliner. The 777-200LR set a record distance of 11,664 nautical miles (21,601 km) on a route traveling eastbound from Hong Kong to London (Heathrow). The flight lasted 22 hours and 42 minutes."

I know this flight was not comercially operated, but that was not the original question. As the above poster pointed out, the 777 can link any two major airports. Quoting the Boeing website again;

"On Nov. 9-10, 2005, a Boeing 777-200LR Worldliner set a new world record for distance traveled non-stop by a commercial jetliner. The 777-200LR set a record distance of 11,664 nautical miles (21,601 km) on a route traveling eastbound from Hong Kong to London (Heathrow). The flight lasted 22 hours and 42 minutes."

Well if the 77L can do 11,664 nautical miles, it can do probably any destination as per my calculation.

Not a 777 but still an impressive flight for an A380

THE title of the world's longest commercial flight will go to Qantas after Singapore Airlines announced it will end its nonstop flight between Singapore and Newark next year, a distance of about 15,300 kilometres. (8,261 nautical miles)

I am afraid it IS TRUE!!!... quoted from Boeing Commercial airplane website...

"The 777-200ER (extended range), in Malaysia Airlines livery, established a new Great Circle Distance Without Landing record. The airplane flew from Boeing Field, Seattle, to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, covering 12,455.34 statute miles (20,044.20 km). The same airplane later went on to complete a record-setting circumnavigation of the world, establishing a new speed world record for its size and class of airplane. The Speed Around the World, Eastbound record was set by traveling the Seattle-Kuala Lumpur-Seattle route at an average speed of 553 miles per hour (889 km/h)."

You are of course, absolutly correct. How silly of me. Why even the range charts on that very same website show clearly that the 777-200LR can service the London-Auckland route, oh wait, no, silly me, I have made another boo-bo.