Sign in to follow this  
navymmw

Okay Okay I give! [PC Build]

Hey everyone!

I've been wanting to build a computer for a little over three years now, however I have never had the money and i've always had something come up which stopped me. After about a year of putting money aside I now have about $1,000 saved up for a computer and i'm going to treat myself finally. I plan on using my PC for mainly FSX with heavy addon use such as REX, AI Traffic, Fly tampa, and PMDG and I want to be able to run this game on high settings and have the game run smoothly. I also plan on playing other games such as Rail sim, take on helicopters, Assassins creed III(comes free with my 660), and other high performing games.

This will be my first time building a computer, I have talked to a few friends for advice and I have a somewhat draft of my final

system build so I wanted to ask if anyone on here could offer some criticism, or suggestions on what I can improve on. I have to say i'm very excited for this build, I have not played flight sim in over a year! When I did play flightsim it was on a slow computer which could not run FSX which sadly stopped me from using the NGX. Here is my list so far for my PC.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Microcenter)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($277.55 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $1166.44

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-01 13:27 EST-0500)

What do you think? Will I be able to fly the 737NGX in the VC into payware airports with AI traffic running as well as REX? I can't wait to finally use the NGX!

I think you have a real good selection of components that will deliver you a very good FSX experience. Good luck and let us know how the build goes. Jamie Moses

If you dont get crazy with your settings and follow inspector settings and Kostas guide for tuning Fsx you will be in good shape

In reality, the i5-3570K is a waste of the extra money, when an i5-2500K is much better. The 2500K is a much better overclocker. The 2500K was my previous set up processor, and it gave me excellent results.

Nicely overclocked however, I ran the NGX with Flytampa Tampa Rebooted at the gate with OPUS weather at 25-30 FPS.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG General Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Careful running FSX and Windows on just a 120GB SSD. I run FSX only on my 120GB and I'm running out of room fast. I've got lots of addons but no photoscenery however I am using Orbx NA stuff.

I'd recommend buying a 256GB if you can afford it.

Also, if you do go with Ivy bridge, get some faster RAM (even though that would hurt your budget,. 2133/2400 mhz etc)

But I agree the i5 2500K is a seriously powerful value CPU (it's what I run) and it will OC easy to 4.5GHz, and pretty easy to 4.8... If you get that you can stick with 1600 ram.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay in my response. I forgot I posted this on avsim! Anyway I have made a few changes,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)

Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($101.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Adorama)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($287.99 @ Microcenter)

Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $1404.83

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-03 01:45 EST-0500)

Also, as for the 3570k, i'm going to stick with this processor since i'm getting a motherboard, and RAM which is designed off of a ivy bridge chipset. I plan on playing some other games then just FSX. Plus, the price difference is like $10, at least from what i've seen.