Sign in to follow this  
molleh

Ground roll sounds?

I'm trying to enhance some of my aircraft with better ground roll sounds.. but I seem to be having trouble getting them to work.

For example. I have the Flight1 BN-2 Islander which has a really nice ground roll sound (full of rattles and clanks). However when I copy and paste the [GROUND_ROLL] section of the sound.cfg file into other aircraft's sound.cfg, as well as moving the associated .wav file, I can't seem to get it to actually play in the sim. Can anyone shed some light on this?

OK, there must be some trick to getting ground rolls to work in a given aircraft. For example, the PMDG MD-11 has a really nice ground roll sound called PMDGMD11_GRND.wav and in the MD-11's sound.cfg there is a ground_roll section with this:

[GROUND_ROLL]

filename=PMDGMD11_GRND

flags=0

viewpoint=1

minimum_speed=1.00

maximum_speed=275.00

minimum_rate=1.00

maximum_rate=1.10

However if I copy that section perfectly into the Leonardo MD-80's sound.cfg (removing the old ground_roll section), as well as placing the very same PMDGMD11_GRND.wav into the Leonardo's sound folder, I don't get any ground roll sound at all.

What am I missing here? :wacko:

The pavement type you're on and even certain excludes in the scenery can prevent the ground roll sound. Are you testing in a place where the sound is confirmed to be present in the original model?

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Yeah I think what's really going on here is the ground_roll section in sound.cfg is broken in FSX. It seems addon developers are using some sort of workaround (like an XML sound gauge) to get a ground roll sound.

For example I can go to KORD, start rolling down the runway in the MD-11 and hear the ground roll just fine. Then I can switch to any aircraft that I've added the above lines from the MD-11 to, including the relevant wave file, and nothing.

You can check this out by looking at the default Cessna 172's sound.cfg. In there you will see it references several cnroll*.wav files. If you go to fsx\sound and play those wave files you will see they do NOT play within FSX. The same goes for other aircraft, for example the Flight1 Islander. The Islander comes with a soundset by Turbine Sound Studios and has a rolling sound referenced in the sound.cfg called TSS Rolling.wav. However if you play that wave file it sounds nothing like what the sound that plays in the Islander within FSX. Further searching reveals that the actual .wav file used is SND27.wav in the fsx\Sound\DeadPixl folder, which is called on by the virtavia_sound.gau gauge in fsx\gauges.

To make a long story short, FSX seems to be ignoring ANY [ground_roll] entries in sound.cfg, even default planes are ignoring it. It would seem you need a gauge programmed into each plane that can play the ground roll sound.

My question is, is there a relatively easy way to add this to a plane or is it quite involved?

My question is, is there a relatively easy way to add this to a plane or is it quite involved?

Depends on your idea of easy! But no, it'd take some work to do. There are some utilities that add those sounds, though, like audio environment as one example. And it might be worth a look in the library to see if someone's already done this.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Sometimes things that should work logically in FSX, just don't. This isn't an answer to your original question, but I think the best solution ultimately to getting good ground roll sounds these days is the Accufeel enhancement program. With that you can get some good rattling and shaking sounds and you can tune them based on what you feel is appropriate.

Yeah, Accu-feel is great and goes a long way towards getting a good ground roll sound/feel. :) I guess it will have to do for now, for those aircraft that don't have a custom ground roll sound system.

OMG i hope this solves it to you go copy the file and paste it anywhere you want then rename it EXACTLY LIKE THIS bnroll now copy and paste it in your flight simulator x/sound folder and you should hear the sounds you want

B)

Ground roll sound turns out to be very important. In a real plane you can hear and feel when you are down...in flightsim you cant..Fspassegers did a great job by allowing roll sound for all aircraft...(which for some reason most planes dont have)...but fsp wont install in to p3d, and now you cant even activate it in fsx anymore.

not only is the sound thrilling, its necessary...i just bounced the pmdg 747 and i had no idea that i was floating for 10 seconds...

plus i have a speaker chair with bass, so i could feel it too

simming absolutely sucks now without roll sound...despite how great the graphics, add ons and performance is...

Edited by rennman