Sign in to follow this  
ghulley

Microsoft FSX direct download and SDK version

I recently installed FSX (Acceleration - v10.0.61637) from the microsoft xbox direct download site:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 044d530935

I see that the SDK installed as well, but am having problems connecting with simconnect from a PC client (to run AS2012), and also the 'Tools' menu bar does not display in FSX during a flight as I've read it should if everything is set up correctly. This makes me think my SDK version is not compatible with my current FSX version.

There are some good articles out there how to install the SDK service packs and updates to align with FSX version, but all require you to have the installation cds, which I don't have with the direct download link!! And I don't feel like purchasing the cds now as well.

Anyone else out there have this problem or have any ideas?

Keypress ALT will unhide and hide the menu bars. As far as connecting with AS2012. Have you followed the Networking simconnect tutorial in the AS2012 documentation? The only thing you are using the SDK for is to copy the simconnect.xml and ini (With proper syntax) to the proper folders. Also the simconnect.msi has to be run on the client, Its all outlined in the documentation.

I'm aware of how to see the menu bars, but the Tools bar does not show up as it should. I have followed the AS2012 doc step-by-step with no luck. AS2012 is always in a 'FSX disconnected' state.

It has to be a problem with my SDK version. I can get the SDK SP1A version, but the SP2/Xpack version is only available from the CD as far as I can see (which I don't have).

Here's a link about the XPACK version - http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_(FSX). You have to get it off of the DVD or, check the install program and see if you have the SDK folder. If you have Acceleration installed, I would not try installing the SP2 version at the link I provided. Do a search on your hard drive for simconnect.dll. See if you have the XPack version installed (10.0.61637.0). If you do then it was installed by the FSX Acceleration package you downloaded.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for that Jim. Yes it seems that I do not have the SDK/Xpack installed and the direct download installer did not install the SDK service packs correctly. It is not possible to do a custom install either so I have had to buy the cds in the end which is annoying. No luck with Microsoft support, they actually want payment for help/support in addition!

So just a word of warning to any brave souls wanting to use the direct download option via Xbox.. if you want to use Simconnect with the product, don't do it!!!

Do a search for SDK on your HDD. There has to be a folder with the SDK installation in it. The folder should be SDK. Doubleclick it and run the executable. It should be exactly the same as if you bought FSX Gold.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi, i am having the same issue. I downloaded FSX from microsoft and there is no SDK. simconnect.dll is located in C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_none_e079b46b85043c20

Also nothing found for sdk.msi

It does not install with the fsx program.  It's a separate file on your FSX program installation disk.  The link I posted in Post #4 has all the procedures.  I'm getting confused.  Maybe on the download version of FSX from Microsoft it is all incorporated and it is installed with FSX?

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

It does not install with the fsx program.  It's a separate file on your FSX program installation disk.  The link I posted in Post #4 has all the procedures.  I'm getting confused.  Maybe on the download version of FSX from Microsoft it is all incorporated and it is installed with FSX?

Best regards,

Jim

i cant find anything to do with an FSX SDK on my C: drive :( There is no installation folder as it was installed via the microsoft store.

The SDK only comes with the deluxe version.  You evidently have the Standard version.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

No i cant remember one. I do have an SDK folder with simconnect.msi but apparently Acceleration corrupts it?

Just double-click on simconnect.msi or right click it and select open or "Run as Administrator".

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM