Sign in to follow this  
pao

had to revert to DX9

No - TeamSpeak3 is free, and so is Teamviewer8, you just need a headset with a mic. I can't work with you this second, but Google them both and download them. I will answer any email withing a short while if you have questions - Avsim uses teamspeak and has instructions as to how to set it up. If you can do that we will hook up properly and get you fixed right up. I online at this moment completely reinstalling a new windows 7 system for Les down in Mason City Iowa, so I'm kinda tied up.

pj

EST

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

No - TeamSpeak3 is free, and so is Teamviewer8, you just need a headset with a mic. I can't work with you this second, but Google them both and download them. I will answer any email withing a short while if you have questions - Avsim uses teamspeak and has instrucrtions as to how to set it up. If you can do that we will hook up properly and get you fixed right up. I onlin at this moment completely reinstalling a new windows 7 system for Les hesly in Mason City Iowa, so I'm kinda tied up.

pj

EST pj@avsim.com, or pj_3@sympatico.ca

No rush, my man! I will download both - I have a headset with a mic...was planning on using Vatsim eventually, so I signed up with them already. I'll go ahead and install the apps and get back with you later. Again, thanks. I can't wait to make this work, and we can use this "learning experience" to help others with something like the ASUS mobo/nVidia 8300 combo.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Let me post my recent tests about this situation: I have included the capture of the nVidia Inspector for my system. I reverted to the default nVidia Inspector settings for FSX (won't post those), had FSX make me a fresh fsx.cfg file, and opened the sim with a default Cessna 172 - no DX10. All worked as expected. The resolution is 1024x768x32, anisotropic w/AA, 30 FSP setting, everything else more or less "stock."

I then changed the setting to DX10 preview. Left the sim in windowed mode, and restarted it. I can hear the engine running, but the screen is black. Nothing is working on the sim, like the menu bar. I can click on the full-screen icon and the sim tries to open up full-screen, but the smaller window stays. I can also click on the "window" icon in the full-screen mode and it will revert to the small screen, but now it is transparent - nothing there but the frame. I can click on the "Close Window" X and the sim will ask me if I really want to close the sim, so THAT works.

Still playing around, but I have investigated the nVidia GeForce 8300 and it is supposed to be 100% DX10-compliant. Not sure of what to do next, but I'm gonna make this thing work if it kills me. Does anyone see something in the snapshot below that might be tweaked to change things?

nvidia_screen.jpg

-= Gary Barth =-

Check your pm's, Gary.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks, Paul, for the on-line time we spent this afternoon! I'm glad that you could see for yourself what I've been going through, and I know we can get this fixed. And when we do, that will be a new "how-to" for people with this kind of problem. I'll be getting back to you in the next couple of days, and hopefully you can find some answers talking to Steve.

This is what Avsim is all about, and you guys are tops! I hope that I can contribute more up here myself. B)

-= Gary Barth =-

Well, I noticed that my last post in this thread was January 25, and it is now March 18! And all of the problems I was having were apparently caused by my video system. Let it be known that the nVidia GeForce 8300 system built into a MOBO will probably NOT work with DX10! I had one of the masters, Paul, take control of my computer and even he couldn't make it work. We were both flustered! (Read the previous posts)

BUT THEN - I decided to get a "slightly better" video card, and bought the EVGA GeForce GTX650 (not the Ti) and installed it! First thing I did was open FSX, click on the DX10 Preview and restart the sim. Hey! It worked! I saw some jaggies, but what the heck... So I went and edited my fsx.cfg file, moved some things around in nVidia Inspector, loaded in the shader fixes, and everything is working beautifully! I admit that I still have a lot of tweaking to do, but what was impossible with my old system is now working like a charm.

It was the video card that did the trick, and as this whole experience shows, never take for granted that whatever you have HAS to work. Although I have a quad core CPU with more than enough RAM and what appeared to be great graphics, it simply wasn't enough for what an app like FSX needs to work right. And I didn't go out and spend $1000 for a graphics card, either. The GSX650 cost me $109, the Ti would have been another $20 or so.

So thanks, Paul, for the patience and the help!  I can definitely see the difference between DX9 and DX10, and so far, I haven't discovered any major flaws that might make me revert. Very nice! And now it's time to concentrate on making it work even better!

-= Gary Barth =-

Good to hear, Gary!

A bit of patience - yes - but mostly the blind leading the blind........  :lol: