Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

How do OSM and the Autogen compete when rendering scenery?

Presently I have no OSM scenery installed. As a matter of fact OSM is not even installed yet.

I kind of like the new autogen for most cities, but I remember the OSM version I had for Lisbon was very nice.

Question is : If I re-install OSM, how will both coexist?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Question is : If I re-install OSM, how will both coexist?

Please remember, the default scenery already uses OpenStreetMap data: roads, railways, rivers...

So, when you ask about OSM, I guess you're talking about OSM2XP generated sceneries: http://www.osm2xp.com/

They can coexist. It depends on the activated options when the scenery has been generated. In OSM2XP you can choose if you exclude objects from the default scenery.

If you make them both appear, you get a very nice and dense scenery when viewed from afar - of course up close it looks really bad, since buildings overlap and are "inside" each other...

If you make them both appear, you get a very nice and dense scenery when viewed from afar - of course up close it looks really bad, since buildings overlap and are "inside" each other...

Exactly, and the very reason why .shp and .osm data CANNOT be used together, without hundreds of hours of editing. This, and the lack of data, were the reason for my post in the scenery section. From afar, everything seems ok, get close and wow does it look terrible.

I'm starting to think that the providers of the shp and osm data copy from each other, ie they steal each others data for use. In a lot of cases they're exactly the same (data), too much of a coincidence. Probably the shp data is a copy of the osm, but who knows for sure.

Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

What's shp?

I'm getting old... This is too much for me :-/.... My stuff is really FMs... but the scenery is so essential as well.....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

What's shp?

I'm getting old... This is too much for me :-/.... My stuff is really FMs... but the scenery is so essential as well.....

.SHP data is just another file format that can be used in OSM2XP to enhance your scenery. Most use .OSM data, but you can also use .SHP data, if you can find some. In my part of the world there doesn't appear to be any useful .shp data, as it's the same (the building footprints) as the .osm data that's available. You might get lucky and find some .shp data that differs from the .osm data for your area, and then you can "fill the gaps" when using OSM2XP.

Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Thx Glen! Understood ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

By the way Glen, that copying is absolutely official - and obviously legal - on the OSM side (some governments are even pushing themselves to make it happen). There is a big Catalog in the OSM Wiki, where you can see where/what/from where/when is imported (and what the status is ... as many projects are ongoing etc.):

http://wiki.openstre...mport/Catalogue

And we might see some improvements on the OSM2XP side when it comes to the mixing with autogen. I have had a little discussion with the developer of the tool, as I had an idea - well its an old idea I used in my XP9 forest scenery project - how he could at least approximately remove autogen with small exclusion areas. He picked the idea up, and derived his own idea from it :smile: ... and I think he wanted to do some experiments when his time permits. So, if it turns out as a working idea, then it might improve OSM2XP in the future.

Sounds good Andras. When I said "steal", I didn't mean it in a bad way (illegally), just that the same data was being used at multiple places / sites, the data is redundant. There are many areas where most of the data overlaps, (some doesn't) but that then requires to much "editing" to correct the overlapping. If we could clean this up with exclusions, or some modification to OSM2XP, that would certainly help.

It would be nice to get our local municipal Planning Departments on board with OpenStreetMap. I think that's wishful thinking. I would love to have data down to the residential level available to use in OSM2XP, or just have updated with Xplane updates. The data has to be out there, just need to figure out how to get it, unfortunately it's not readily available.

Glen

Like OSM improve somewhat as X-plane Autogen now with updates looks worse than before the updates. Cities like Phoenix and Vegas are fine with the ranch houses, but then you add public housing projects it looks terrible it mean going back to fsx. Still, I am trying to learn how photo-aerial works with X-plane if done correctly looks better than fsx as you do not get blurries from it. Just hope someone makes a program that could isolate a OSM generated building that we can add real life textures to that one building.