Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morgan737-800

FSX GOLD WINDOWS 8 QUESTION!

I Just had bought Microsoft Flight Simulator X Gold, I've been looking up if it works for Windows 8 a lot of people seem to be having problems. Has anyone else have a crashing problem with it? If so what are my alternatives??

I have Windows 8 and it runs with no problem - better than my W7 machine but I attribute that to a better machine, not W7 vs.  W8.  I have FPS set at 31 and consistently am in the 30.4 - 30.8 FPS range including multiplayer sessions on VATME, VATSIM and the DVFC server (never use the GameSpy-like servers).

I just reinstalled Win 7 after 3 months with Win 8. No problem with the OS itself(after some tweaking) and its new feaures and the under-the-hood improvements, but the disconnecting joystick-problem was driving me nuts. MS fails to acknowledge the problem, and I therefore was more or less forced back on Win 7. 

Read all about it here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/393486-windows-8-joystick-megathread-problem/

Other than that, Win 8 is a great OS.

Not had the 'disconnecting joystick' problem myself - I have heard of it and some suggestions were

• Run your controls through FSUIPC (I do, so maybe that's why I haven't had the problem)
  • Set FSX Compatability (fsx.exe file) to 'Run as Administrator'
  • Change the main Flight Simulator X folder privileges to make yourself the owner
  • Uninstall FSX and re-install it in a folder other than the default destination

The above may also be a solution to the crash problem (well, except maybe the FSUIPC thing but I highly recommend the licensed version - much greater functionality than the standard FSX options).

Not had the 'disconnecting joystick' problem myself - I have heard of it and some suggestions were

• Run your controls through FSUIPC (I do, so maybe that's why I haven't had the problem)
  • Set FSX Compatability (fsx.exe file) to 'Run as Administrator'
  • Change the main Flight Simulator X folder privileges to make yourself the owner
  • Uninstall FSX and re-install it in a folder other than the default destination

The above may also be a solution to the crash problem (well, except maybe the FSUIPC thing but I highly recommend the licensed version - much greater functionality than the standard FSX options).

Mapping your controls to FSUIPC is definitely a solution. I never flew for long enough after I got Windows 8 for the controls to disconnect. Only recently did I have the issue, so I mapped them this way. The view panning is not very smooth and the controls don't seem smooth either. But that's better than losing your controls, I guess! I also have FSX installed out of the default folder and that is a smart move for sure. I have not had a legitimate crash as of yet. All have been related to the instability of aircraft or an experiment on my end.

I have loved using Windows 8, especially with an SSD. It is very fast and my performance is significantly better than it was with Windows 7. 30-50 FPS on my computer computer is quite shocking. :O (dual core, 2.53GHz)