Sign in to follow this  
Azone

Windows 8

I can't believe MS is seriously trying to sell this crap. With their "W8 success " I think this MS is about to go tits up.

I just purchased a new laptop for my wife and spent 2 days playing with it....OMFG I'm taking it back tomorrow.

if this is a sign of things to come I don't think we will ever see any flight simulator products from MS ever again.

Somebody shoot this dog.

I've been using Windows 8 since December and I really don't understand what you could possibly find so bad about it. Ranting without actually saying what problems you faced is not useful to anyone. I had very minimal, if not zero problems with 8 so far. My only real dislike is where the shut down button is. And everything else makes up for that so far.

Also, Microsoft is one of the largest companies in the world. I'm pretty sure they aren't going out of business anytime soon...

This is not the place to discuss Windows 8, though. There is a forum specifically for it. ;)

Brandon Filer

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Microsoft Flight Forum" to "WIN8 OS Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I agree with the OP. Firstly, MS thinks that no one has desktops anymore and that everyone today wants a tablet or a laptop. This is not a good sign! When I went to Best Buy, there were people returning their laptops because they didn't know HOW TO TURN THEM OFF! That is ridiculous! They also took off Safe Mode, start button, and freaking DVD codecs. Are you serious? You can't play DVD's in Windows 8 with WMP... (Again, think about what MS thinks... They think that everyone wants a ultrabook or tablet and they believe everything is in the "cloud" like Netflix, etc.)

I can't wait for Windows 9... Or can I? I don't know anymore.

there were people returning their laptops because they didn't know HOW TO TURN THEM OFF! That is ridiculous! They also took off Safe Mode, start button, and freaking DVD codecs. Are you serious? You can't play DVD's in Windows 8 with WMP...

The only ridiculous thing about people not being able to turn their laptops off is those people themselves.

Agreed, safe mode is not there.

The start button is still there, mouse to the bottom right hand corner of the screen, third tile up, labelled "Start",

not too difficult, is it?

There are no DVD codecs in Windows 7, Vista, XP etc.

Installation of VLC solves that if required.

I'm guessing you don't have Windows 8 but reserve the right, like the OP, to denigrate it anyway.

An uninformed opinion is worthless.

The only ridiculous thing about people not being able to turn their laptops off is those people themselves.

Agreed, safe mode is not there.

The start button is still there, mouse to the bottom right hand corner of the screen, third tile up, labelled "Start",

not too difficult, is it?

There are no DVD codecs in Windows 7, Vista, XP etc.

Installation of VLC solves that if required.

I'm guessing you don't have Windows 8 but reserve the right, like the OP, to denigrate it anyway.

An uninformed opinion is worthless.

Okay, maybe you should think about my OP. Maybe I meant the START MENU is gone?

Same thing as above. Maybe I meant the codecs were taken away from Windows Media Player, not the whole OS.

Installation of VLC does solve the problem, but guess what? I don't think businesses/enterprises/schools are going to spend time/resources installing another 3rd party program when the included program should/could work just fine.

I downloaded the Windows 8 Enterprise 90 day trial from TechNet. I dual booted it into my computer. Yes, the new taskbar is great for multiple monitors, but that's the only thing I liked about it.

the START MENU is gone?

Try the key combination Winkey/q (Winkey is the Windows key between Ctrl and Alt on the left) -- there is the list of all the programs that have been installed much like the Start/Programs menu.  Personally I don't find that huge list very useful.  I make my own list or use conventional desktop shortcuts (press the Winkey to quickly switch between the Start screen and the conventional desktop).  You can make a folder, put all your favourite shortcuts in it, and add it to the task bar using the toolbars/new toolbar... option (right-click on the task bar).  There are lots of customizations available but, most importantly, maybe try some of the many keyboard shortcut keys instead of groping about with the mouse all the time.  For example, Winkey/x pops up a useful menu that can be faster than trying to navigate to various settings and Control Panel apps.  Winkey/c pops up the Charms menu on the right -- easier than groping for just the right spot with the mouse.  Google for more....

Rick

Try the key combination Winkey/q (Winkey is the Windows key between Ctrl and Alt on the left) -- there is the list of all the programs that have been installed much like the Start/Programs menu.  Personally I don't find that huge list very useful.  I make my own list or use conventional desktop shortcuts (press the Winkey to quickly switch between the Start screen and the conventional desktop).  You can make a folder, put all your favourite shortcuts in it, and add it to the task bar using the toolbars/new toolbar... option (right-click on the task bar).  There are lots of customizations available but, most importantly, maybe try some of the many keyboard shortcut keys instead of groping about with the mouse all the time.  For example, Winkey/x pops up a useful menu that can be faster than trying to navigate to various settings and Control Panel apps.  Winkey/c pops up the Charms menu on the right -- easier than groping for just the right spot with the mouse.  Google for more....

Rick

I know about these shortcuts, but again, they're kinda pointless considering it was practical and usable previously in 7.

I saw this on my news feed today...

Dell profits lowered 79% this quarter.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2038942/dell-profit-dives-79-percent-on-falling-pc-sales.html#tk.twt_http://www.pcworld.com/article/2038942/dell-profit-dives-79-percent-on-falling-pc-sales.html

and

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2033838/the-real-reasons-to-blame-windows-8-for-plummeting-pc-sales.html

As-a-matter-of-fact, if you go to HP's Home office site, there's a huge button that says "Windows 7 PCs still available, limited quantity". Same thing on Dell's website. They KNOW people don't want/need W8.

Interestingly, if you actually read the articles, they state that Windows 8 is NOT the cause of the
decline in PC sales.

Two quotes, from the second linked article.

Traditional PC sales are down. There's no arguing that. However, it’s misguided to assume it’s the result of a failure on the part of Windows 8. Rather, it's because the definition of "PC" is evolving.

and
As popular opinion seems to hold, millions of people using older, slower PCs were itching to buy a new one, but decided not to because the radical new Windows 8 turned them off. That's doubtful. If it’s time for a new PC, you're going to get one, and that's separate from the decision to upgrade your OS.
Windows 8 may be to blame for the perception that PC sales are declining, but not because people hate it. The problem lies in how PCs are sold and how the PC market is measured. In a nutshell, Windows 8 sales don't necessarily equate with PC sales.

The article goes on to commend Windows 8 over Windows 7.

Regards,
Nick