Sign in to follow this  
macwino

One Saitek throttle quadrant lever not recognized properly

I am posting here and in the fsuipc forum in the hope that someone might have a solution to this problem. I have a Saitek yoke and attached TQ with 3 levers. The first lever, the one on the left, is no longer being recognized properly by FSX or fsuipc, as I will explain below.

First, let me make clear that this axis is recognized in the Windows 7 control panel Devices and Printers. When you go to the Game Controller Settings you see the three axes for the three levers on this TQ. These are labeled Z Axis, X Rotation and Y Rotation. All three vertical graphs show a red bar with full, smooth movement from top to bottom for the three levers.

However, the first lever, the one identified as the Z Axis in the Windows control panel, is not properly recognized in FSX or in fsuipc.

For example, if I assign the Throttle command to this axis in FSX, and I then go to calibrate it in FSX, the window shows that the X and Y Rotation axes move fully and smoothly through the full range on the horizontal graphic representation. But this Z axis, which I’ve assigned to the Throttle command, is only 50% filled in with color (which may be normal) but jumps from no color to 50% color when you move the lever (which is not normal). There is no graduated movement from one end to the other. Just an immediate jump from no fill color to 50% fill color. Then, when you go to calibrate the Z axis, the horizontal bar in the Windows calibration pane is devoid of any color and does not fill up as it should when you move the lever representing this Z axis through its range of motion. However, if you check the “Display raw data” box it shows movement from 0 to 255.

In FSX, this translates into a throttle control that goes from idle to full throttle with the slightest upward movement of the lever. Also, if you pull the lever from full throttle all the way back, you cannot get back to idle but instead get to about 20% throttle. For what it’s worth, you can control the throttle with the F1-F4 key commands, which work properly.

The same result happens if I assign and calibrate this Z Axis lever in fsuipc, which is how I ordinarily assign and calibrate this axis. First, of course, I delete any axis throttle assignments in FSX so there will be no conflict and then do the assignment and calibration in fsuipc. The two boxes on the far left of the Throttle section of the Main Flight Controls pane in fsuipc jump from 0 to 16383 when you move the lever. There is no graduated movement. I’ve tried manually setting the fsuipc.ini file to reflect a full range of movement but it makes no difference. In FSX, I get the same behavior that I’ve described above when I do the assignment and calibration within FSX.

I’ve spoken with Saitek tech support about this, and they say that as long as the Windows 7 control panel Devices and Printers shows full and gradual movement for this lever there is not a hardware problem and it is software related.

I’ve rebuilt the fsx.cfg but this didn’t help. I’ve assigned the Throttle command to the other two levers on the TQ and they work properly. In fact, any command I might assign to this problematic Z Axis doesn’t work as it should. I should add that this lever worked properly before. It is only suddenly that it no longer works.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Robert,

You definitely should be getting smooth horizontal bar movement in fsx. And the fact that you are getting vertical movement in the control panel shows that it is working. Check your sensitivity settings out in fsx. Try moving to full 100% and see if that helps out. Sorry, that's about all I can think of at the moment.

Try moving the FSUIPC.ini file to a tempory folder. Restart the sim and a new .ini file should be created.

Peter

Peter Schluter

Mike, when I tried assigning the axis in FSX, I did try out various sensitivity settings and it didn't resolve the problem.

Peter, I also tried creating a new fsuipc.ini as you suggest, but that didn't resolve the problem either.

Thanks for the input.

Robert

Could be a hardware problem,you could try using a potentiometer cleaner

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Jude, Saitek believes this is a software problem since the axis checks out in the Windows control panel tests and just doesn't work properly in FSX. In any event, I did spray the problematic axis with contact cleaner down where the potentiometer is located. This did not resolve the problem.

Thanks for the input.

Robert

Have you tried the FSUIPC forum, maybe Pete Dowson has seen this before. Does seem very strange.

Peter

Peter Schluter

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but my right engine throttle will not advance as far as my left one. Also, neither of the prop levers work. This is in FS9. Suggestions?

This is a common problem with Saitek quads...and yoke, I should add.

It is all about the pots.....need to be cleaned. And that means you have to open the quad, even the covers of the arms inside, to be able to clean the pots. it´s useless to spray from the outside, believe me, I have tried.

It is some complicated, but someone made a tutorial which I found on the net.

I don´t remember where, so do a search.

Funny, just some days ago I did the fix for both my quads, and now its time for the yoke!

Hope this will fix your problems, mine works like new. 

Goran Arvnell

Hope this will fix your problems, mine works like new. 

Problem Solved!

Thank you