Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jetsmell

Scenery Library -what to do?

When I go to Settings then Scenery Library as you know there's a list of places, I also have some add ons showing there. They are all checked. Should I leave them all checked? When I add on of the listed items, it takes me to a FSX Scenery Directory. Down below there's also a Cache box and a use this screen directly box. What do I do with all that?

The list that you see is of the scenery that has already been installed and added to FSX. Usually you leave everything as it is. When you click on Add you aren't adding what's (checked) on the list but you are doing what you need to do to add NEW scenery that's not yet on the list...

You ONLY use that screen to ADD new scenery that doesn't come with an installer or to change the order of scenery (which may be required for some addons).

Reading your post I think the best thing for you to do there is nothing. ^_^ Cancel the screen and don't go there again. :P Only if you have actual problems with installed scenery, you might have a look at that screen but when everything works as advertised, just forget about it.

Yes J van E is correct,  if your not yet familiar with the scenery library then you should not mess with it.  Unfortunately this is old hat for me and I can't recall where its use is described, perhaps the help menu.  There are many locations in forums or flightsim sights that discuss the how to's of adding and removing scenery, proper order of priority etc.

If you want to expand your scenery say such as new freeware airports or new area scenery you will need to learn how to add and remove sceneries from this library list.  You need to understand "smart' techniques on where to install the newly added scenery, IE another HD or seperate folders under Addon Scenery folder of separate folders outside of Addon Scenery folder.  You need to know about objects for sceneries and how and where to organize and save these, how to avoid duplicating objects.  You need to learn about airport AFCADs and how to avoid duplicate copies of different origins but of the same airport that may show up when not wanted.

You need to learn how scenery is displayed in priority so that the proper elements show through.

I for instance have installed a lot of freeware photo real scenery that I keep installed in my scenery addon folder but have unchecked so that its in the scenery.cfg file but only used if I want to "turn it on" by checking the boxes for that scenery.

I suggest you do a little reading first, the grab a freeware airport or scenery area to test adding it on your own, most folks advise you on how to install their freeware scenery.  Few have self installers and using them can also be dangerous as they might in fact overwrite other files in default folders that you want to keep.

Lots to think about here and lots to learn.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Don't worry or mess with the "cache" settings.  It dates from the days when hard disk was expensive and small so scenery was often on CD or even floppies. 

scott s.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

18%
    $4,525.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now