Sign in to follow this  
mr340

How good is this CPU for FSX ?

Hi everyone this is my third rig am building an since i couldn't find any videos on youtube of any simmers that uses this CPU for fsx i want to know how good this CPU is for fsx?  The CPU is AMD FX-8350 Piledriver (Vishera) 4.0GHz (Eight Core) 32nm, AM3+ 8MB Cache

I notice from default it comes with 4.0 Ghz that mean less need in overclocking .  Anyone have a clue how well this will work for FSX.?

By the way here is this  new rig spec's

MOBO- ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+, AMD 970, Cross Fire, SATA3, USB 3.0, HD Audio

CPU FAN - Corsair H80 Cooling Hydro, extra quiet Liquid Cooling System

GPU -  GeForce GTX 680 4GB PCI EXpress 16X dual head, HDMI

Ram Memory- 16GB (2x8GB) PC14900 DDR3 1866 Dual Channel (high performance memory)

Hard Drive-  1000.0 GB Western Digital Green SATA3 6GB/s 64m cache

PSU- Corsair 750W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-fire ready

Am right now assembly this new rig at the moment . Boy oh boy it is like a puzzle of  a million pieces at my house right now . The reason why am building this new rig  is not because of any issue with the current one that i have . No no no it is perfect , but i also work on audio production video editing an everything on my current rig is messy all over the place fsx stuff getting mix up with my music stuff. It happen to me in the past an i manage to put all my fsx stuff in one external hard drive . But now as i install addon on this rig an save video using fraps etc.... everything seem to be all over the place an fraps also takes up space when recording a video . So i made up my mind in building this rig. My main concern at the moment is the CPU,  how well will it perform with FSX i know nothing compare to I7 Extreme Edition  but hopefully it might work out fine. What do you guys think ?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

And please advice on mine.

Operating System
 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
CPU
 Intel Core i3 550 @ 3.20GHz 35 °C
 Clarkdale 32nm Technology
RAM
 8.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
 ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55 LX (LGA1156) 31 °C
Graphics
 HP w2338h (1920x1080@60Hz)
 AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (XFX Pine Group)
Hard Drives
 298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C
 233GB Western Digital WDC WD2500JS-75NCB3 ATA Device (SATA) 27 °C
Optical Drives
 TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A ATA Device
Audio
 VIA High Definition Audio

And please advice on mine.

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i3 550 @ 3.20GHz 35 °C

Clarkdale 32nm Technology

RAM

8.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55 LX (LGA1156) 31 °C

Graphics

HP w2338h (1920x1080@60Hz)

AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (XFX Pine Group)

Hard Drives

298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C

233GB Western Digital WDC WD2500JS-75NCB3 ATA Device (SATA) 27 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A ATA Device

Audio

VIA High Definition Audio

You should consider trying Window 7 64 Bit  better . Everyone said Nvidia is the way to go for graphic card for fsx , but i don't see any harm in trying AMD Radeon HD you should try the high end card such as the 6870 as far as i know any card that ends with 60,70,80  is consider great for FSX.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

I begrudgingly switched over to intel after 3 previous dedicated Fsx AMD platform builds. Your GPU is a beast though! Just remember to use NVIDIA Inspector and Bojote's or Word Not Allowed's tweaks to use it to its full potential though. Haven't really read too much about that particular CPU but overclocking is almost a must as Fsx relies mostly on raw clock speed for performance. One more note: Fsx should be installed on its own dedicated hard drive in its own folder created by yourself, not the default x86 path suggested by the installer. Good luck and feel free to report back.

i5 2500 or i5 3570 is what I would use for fsx cpu build, but AMD will be fine if you can accept middle of the road settings. Want top line only intel the meal ticket. 

You should consider trying Window 7 64 Bit  better . Everyone said Nvidia is the way to go for graphic card for fsx , but i don't see any harm in trying AMD Radeon HD you should try the high end card such as the 6870 as far as i know any card that ends with 60,70,80  is consider great for FSX.

If I switch to 64 bit do I have to re-install fsx and all nine yards????   I really don't have any problems with the video just performance...

If I switch to 64 bit do I have to re-install fsx and all nine yards????

Yes

I really don't have any problems with the video just performance...

You have 8GB of RAM and are using Windows 32bit which can only use 4GB, you will get better performance if you switch to 64bit so your system can use the whole 8GB of RAM that you have.

i want to know how good this CPU is for fsx?......Anyone have a clue how well this will work for FSX.?.......

....My main concern at the moment is the CPU,  how well will it perform with FSX.....hopefully it might work out fine. What do you guys think ?

I think if you were this concerened about how this CPU would perform with FSX the best thing to have done would have been to ask the question before you bought it because most people would have said that AMD is not the best choice. As it is you are now the best person to answer your question and actually I would be interested to know how you find that it performs with FSX, perhaps you could write a small review compared to your old system once you have everything installed.

I notice from default it comes with 4.0 Ghz that mean less need in overclocking

Because your AMD processor runs at 4Ghz and an Intel processor runs at 3.4Ghz it does not mean that you do not need to overclock your CPU "less" (or that your AMD CPU will perform better at any given task). The purpose of overclocking is not to reach a certain speed, it is to make your CPU perform at the fastest stable speed that it can so you get the best performance from your computer. There is no such thing as "less need" for overclocking.

Even at 5 Ghz, compromises still have to me made with Fsx settings. Its just a fact of life with this simulator. It always amuses me when someone writes in to these forums asking what the best off the shelf computer is for running Fsx "maxed out"  and even funnier when someone claims to be able to but then shows a screen shot of the default 737 at 30,000 ft LOL. Anyway, would be very interested in your results as I think the AMD's have been all but written off in these forums.

I begrudgingly switched over to intel after 3 previous dedicated Fsx AMD platform builds. Your GPU is a beast though! Just remember to use NVIDIA Inspector and Bojote's or Word Not Allowed's tweaks to use it to its full potential though. Haven't really read too much about that particular CPU but overclocking is almost a must as Fsx relies mostly on raw clock speed for performance. One more note: Fsx should be installed on its own dedicated hard drive in its own folder created by yourself, not the default x86 path suggested by the installer. Good luck and feel free to report back.

thanks , but you do think the GPU is actually good for fsx ? Because i did some search online an much people reply that the more GB the GPU hard the more you get stutter . I was like that sound so wrong , how is that possible . But much people reported having those problem because fsx doesn't consume  that much of GB with the GPU . So i am getting kind of worried now . What do you think  ?

Even at 5 Ghz, compromises still have to me made with Fsx settings. Its just a fact of life with this simulator. It always amuses me when someone writes in to these forums asking what the best off the shelf computer is for running Fsx "maxed out"  and even funnier when someone claims to be able to but then shows a screen shot of the default 737 at 30,000 ft LOL. Anyway, would be very interested in your results as I think the AMD's have been all but written off in these forums.

Am crossing fingers now hehehe lol praying that it works . I will only use this pc for fsx only no other stuff will be on it . So i want the CPU to concentrate  on fsx only heheheh lol . Yea do see videos on youtube with default  737 running so smooth lol . Also i have herd that most of those videos are edited so good that you can't even notice a stutter  or anything . One of the reason i choose to purchase this GPU is because i watch this guys videos after videos an i was amaze https://www.youtube.com/user/guitargamery?feature=g-high-lik

But then someone said that he edits his videos to get those result i was like what!! are you joking . So am crossing fingers now

Mr Leny

thanks , but you do think the GPU is actually good for fsx ? Because i did some search online an much people reply that the more GB the GPU hard the more you get stutter . I was like that sound so wrong , how is that possible . But much people reported having those problem because fsx doesn't consume  that much of GB with the GPU . So i am getting kind of worried now . What do you think  ?

Am crossing fingers now hehehe lol praying that it works . I will only use this pc for fsx only no other stuff will be on it . So i want the CPU to concentrate  on fsx only heheheh lol . Yea do see videos on youtube with default  737 running so smooth lol . Also i have herd that most of those videos are edited so good that you can't even notice a stutter  or anything . One of the reason i choose to purchase this GPU is because i watch this guys videos after videos an i was amaze https://www.youtube.com/user/guitargamery?feature=g-high-lik

But then someone said that he edits his videos to get those result i was like what!! are you joking . So am crossing fingers now

Your GPU will run 3 large monitors at max resolutions. No worries. It wont be the bottleneck in your system. You should visit Word Not Allowed's guide on hardware and settings. You should be able to google it. Very informative. Just remember that without any tweaking, your GPU accounts for only around 25% of your Fsx performance. You'll also need to configure the CPU to allow Fsx to take advantage of multiple cores. All of this info is in Word Not Allowed's guide. Good luck!

I think if you were this concerened about how this CPU would perform with FSX the best thing to have done would have been to ask the question before you bought it because most people would have said that AMD is not the best choice. As it is you are now the best person to answer your question and actually I would be interested to know how you find that it performs with FSX, perhaps you could write a small review compared to your old system once you have everything installed.Because your AMD processor runs at 4Ghz and an Intel processor runs at 3.4Ghz it does not mean that you do not need to overclock your CPU "less" (or that your AMD CPU will perform better at any given task). The purpose of overclocking is not to reach a certain speed, it is to make your CPU perform at the fastest stable speed that it can so you get the best performance from your computer. There is no such thing as "less need" for overclocking.

I think if you were this concerened about how this CPU would perform with FSX the best thing to have done would have been to ask the question before you bought it because most people would have said that AMD is not the best choice. As it is you are now the best person to answer your question and actually I would be interested to know how you find that it performs with FSX, perhaps you could write a small review compared to your old system once you have everything installed.Because your AMD processor runs at 4Ghz and an Intel processor runs at 3.4Ghz it does not mean that you do not need to overclock your CPU "less" (or that your AMD CPU will perform better at any given task). The purpose of overclocking is not to reach a certain speed, it is to make your CPU perform at the fastest stable speed that it can so you get the best performance from your computer. There is no such thing as "less need" for overclocking.

Thanks will post some review as soon as everything is install . I have finish putting every part together now here comes  the hard part windows 7 or 8 am thinking . I have seen some reviews of window 8 for fsx not to good i might add. So i guest is window 7 then ultimate 64bit . Now all the add on to be install an fallowing fsx guide  lots of work to be done with so much little time i have. I wish i had 2 days off from my job but i only have one . An when i come home in the night am to tired to even look at my rig lol.

Your GPU will run 3 large monitors at max resolutions. No worries. It wont be the bottleneck in your system. You should visit Word Not Allowed's guide on hardware and settings. You should be able to google it. Very informative. Just remember that without any tweaking, your GPU accounts for only around 25% of your Fsx performance. You'll also need to configure the CPU to allow Fsx to take advantage of multiple cores. All of this info is in Word Not Allowed's guide. Good luck!

Thanks Adam , i have herd about overclocking the CPU but do you think it is necessary to overclock my GPU ?

Mr Leny

Can you please run FSXmark11 once its put together. We need a lot more AMD results there.

is necessary to overclock my GPU ?

Leave it at stock to start with. You use 1080p right? If you are not happy with the performance in clouds you might consider overclocking it.

Can you please run FSXmark11 once its put together. We need a lot more AMD results there.

Leave it at stock to start with. You use 1080p right? If you are not happy with the performance in clouds you might consider overclocking it.

Am scared to even overclock the own listed on my spec ;. I pay to much money for it so that any mistake the CPU would crash or fried am not even messing around with it am talking about the extreme edition i7 .. So for this one i might consider not overclocking it  an leaving it how it is  depend on the stock performance i will get for fsx if is any good i will post the review maybe throw in a video not edited or nothing couple of screen shoot to see what you guys think . Today Amazon had some kind of sale i purchase brand new prestige edition external hard drive 2Tb for 80 dollars to keep all my addon an transfer  it from my current rig to this new one .

Mr Leny

If I was building a new rig I would not get anything less that an Intel 2700K or 3770K. FSX is CPU clock dependent. You want the fastest CPU and the best cooler that yu can afford.

Then carefully OC the hell out of it.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.