Sign in to follow this  
flightsim777

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 660 or Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870

OK, well what about the ASUS 660TI, I think I might up my budget for the TI version, but is the ASUS or EVGA version the better card?

660 or 660 ti is no big difference.  I have a 660 in one pc and a 660ti in another, I can't tell the difference in fsx/xplane.  Both cards run fsx/xp10 with fps in the high 30's over cities and over 40/50 up in the sky.

The new AMD cpus are great in fsx with a slight overclock as for ATI cards I quit using them a long time ago like as in when the largest they made was 512Mb because they died after a year I switched to nvida and have never had one fail me besides a DOA card but maybe they got better qc

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

OK, the ASUS seems to have slightly better specs., do you think the ASUS or EVGA will perform better in FSX, as I have heard nothing on ASUS cards in FSX.

OK, the ASUS seems to have slightly better specs., do you think the ASUS or EVGA will perform better in FSX, as I have heard nothing on ASUS cards in FSX.

stop typing, go shopping :lol:

So many cards! I think I am going to go with the normal 660, it comes in a combo where i get the corsair TX750 at a reduced price on newegg

EDIT: Argh I almost bought it and found these by HIS and Gigabyte:

<p><a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161420">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414</a></p>

Would these perform better than a 660 in FSX?

So many cards! I think I am going to go with the normal 660, it comes in a combo where i get the corsair TX750 at a reduced price on newegg

EDIT: Argh I almost bought it and found these by HIS and Gigabyte:

<p><a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161420">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414</a></p>

Would these perform better than a 660 in FSX?

great choice, you will get awesome over 30fps in all your sims with high settings :drinks:

The consensus is go for Nvidia for FSX.

Without any question.  My Gateway "Gamer FX" system came with a Radeon 6750 2GB.  The performance even in FSX native clouds was horrible, and even worse with REX cloud textures.  I followed recommendations here and replaced the Radeon with an EVGA nVidia GTX560TI 4GB (for $219) and have since had excellent results, and certainly not looked back.  I certainly found no need to spend $500+ to gain performance.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Nividia 650 and great skip amd and Ati they have cloud penalty

Nividia 650 ,660 your fine and great skip amd and Ati they have cloud penalty

The 660 is awesome for fsx.....smooth and fast fps. Stay away from ATI/AMD for fsx.

The 660 is awesome for fsx.....smooth and fast fps. Stay away from ATI/AMD for fsx.

Five By Five,

I just built a new PC (Budget)

I7 4771 3.5 (3.9 Turbo Boost)

EVGA 660 SC 192-Bit

ASRock B85 Pro Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 8GB (4X2)

Corsair 500W PSU

San Disk 256GB SSD (For windows and fsx)

I followed Nick N's guide for Install and Tweaking. I have ORBX Northwest installed and get 10-15 FPS at KSEA in Carenado A36. Doesn't seem right but maybe that's the ugly truth.

Five By Five,

I just built a new PC (Budget)

I7 4771 3.5 (3.9 Turbo Boost)

EVGA 660 SC 192-Bit

ASRock B85 Pro Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 8GB (4X2)

Corsair 500W PSU

San Disk 256GB SSD (For windows and fsx)

I followed Nick N's guide for Install and Tweaking. I have ORBX Northwest installed and get 10-15 FPS at KSEA in Carenado A36. Doesn't seem right but maybe that's the ugly truth.

Yes. It is the Ugly truth. I have a 7970 (now called R9 280X) and I get 26-30 fps at KSEA in the JS41 in all weather. It's roughly what my buddy gets with his GTX680 which is now called a GTX770.

Charles.

Thanks Charles. 

I got it tweaked to about 20-30 but, Lower 20's with Carenado Cirrus. Seems like the G1000 Carenado aircraft reduce FPS alot more that the others. Makes sense I guess. I am now getting steady 60 in KBOS with REX with Carenado Caravan! Seems good enough for me.

Jace 

Thanks Charles. 

I got it tweaked to about 20-30 but, Lower 20's with Carenado Cirrus. Seems like the G1000 Carenado aircraft reduce FPS alot more that the others. Makes sense I guess. I am now getting steady 60 in KBOS with REX with Carenado Caravan! Seems good enough for me.

Jace 

Ya. From plane to plane. Setting to setting. Location to location. You can get all kinds of results. That's what sliders are for in the settings. :)

Charles.