Sign in to follow this  
kerosene31

Where do you like to fly?

I have been flying MSFS for a while now, and sometimes I just don't know where to fly to. There are thousands of airports in the sim, some are great, some aren't. Where do you like to fly? Any destinations you can recommend? I love beautiful scenery, so that is a plus, and I'm not just talking about the airports. I'm talking about mountains, water, islands, etc. Anyway, I would appreciate hearing where some of you like to fly.

The best thing I think is to do fantasy trips from my home area to some destination. I'm currently flying from Spokane, WA to Kenai, AK going north through BC then following the Al-Can on in.----------------------------------------------------------------John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private 130+ hrs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

I know what you mean. Hard to decide between so many locations. I almost always fly in the area I live (Southwest U.S) mainly because I have FAA maps and TP guides for that area. I do venture to Switzerland and other places I assume will be green and pretty, but often have a hard time deciding.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Blazer

I like to fly the Caribbean..I have installed MY WORLD LAND CLASS and also the Fly To Caribe series airports.Nice lush island sceneries surrounded by blue water. You can fly the big heaavies or island hop with a King Air 200. The Philippines archipelico is also nice and there are some nice freeware addon airports to go along with the scenery...Regards...TH...Canada

It's a big fs 2004 world, and I haven't seen it all yet...But I like the mountain areas, preferably with a lot of lakes, trees, etc...Montana has some neat scenery. Try I think "Thompsons Falls" in MT. Lots of mountains, and there are some lakes not too far away, if you like the float planes. Costa Rica has some good scenery. Try Palmar Sur in Costa Rica, and then take a cruise around the area. I've taken trips south of there, into the country below costa rica, "can't remember what country it is offhand", and there is some pretty neat stuff. There is one airport down in that area a ways below the costa rica border that is on top of a steep sided mountain.Can't think of the airport ID offhand... Pretty wild...And below that airport is a nifty swimming hole/lake with a cove just long enough to land a float plane.. For a oldie but goodie, Innsbrook Austria is still pretty good. Even better if you set up a knarly snow storm...I'll pass on other places if I think of them...Hawaii can be good in places... I just flew to Anchorage Alaska earlier today...Saw the Northern lights again...That's pretty wild looking...BTW, I see in the fx modules folder, a "shooting star" module. So that means, sometimes at night, there should be shooting stars. But I haven't noticed one yet...:/ MK

Guest abent

Canada and the west coast of the US mainly.Adam

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Depends really. Sometimes I just fly around site seeing and in those cases I'll usually go to the Rocky mtns or some such locale. When I feel like really getting immersed in the nitty gritty I'll usually fly around Manitoba (where I live) becuase to me it's more involving when you can see the names of places you've actually visited and theres that familiarity with the terrain and such that kinda draws you in...

I like to follow the Interstate Highways. Just get the Rand McNally Road Atlas out and start. I started at Houston Texas and followed I-10 to where it ends in Santa Moncica. Then I picked up I-40 and headed west. I am currently setting at a small airport in Henyetta Oklahoma. My next flight well take me to Fort Smith Arkansas.John

1. Pacific NW - northern CA, OR and WA as well as Canda. Some neat addon scenery available for these areas as well - mesh and landclass is a must and there's also the Georender sceneries and Megascenery+some neat freeware airports. Also check out us_wa_nc.zip in the file library.-Switzerland, Austria-Emgland/Wales (mostly because I have the VFR Terrain and VFR Photographic scenery - those are some of the most advanced FS sceneries available). While the landscape is not as dramatics as the Alps or the northwestern US, it's very scenic and realistic with those addon sceneries.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I will list a bunch I frequent (some already mentioned)-anywhere in the Caribbean and South America. There are so many fun places to fly there. You could spend a day island hopping and still not hit them all. Tons of good freeware and payware sceneries here. The IWI series from Flight1 and the Fly to Caribe series as well as others. -Florida (goes along with the Caribbean) - Florida may not have huge mountain ranges, but it does have some interesting and unpredictable weather. Flying here in real weather can be exciting with pop-up t-storms appearing almost out of nothing. -Alaska - get yourself some good mesh and explore this huge state.-Alps - the Innsbruck area especially and into Switzerland. Again, of course you need some sort of mesh to get the full effect. FSQuality has a great version of Innsbruck and other Austrian airports. -Rocky Mountains - This encompasses a huge area from Canada down to the Southeast US. -Grand Canyon area - check out Lago's Georender 2 for some great airports in Utah. Also check out the FSGenesis mesh for the canyon. -Eastern New York State (a bit of local bias here) :) - You can fly from the busy airports of NYC up to the quiet Appalachian Mountains. Not exactly the Rockies, but a nice area.-Great Lakes area - another local bias here :) - you can follow the lakes VFR to many cities along the lakes. For even more fun, try Western NY with real weather during blizzard season! Toronto, Canada is very nice even with the default scenery. Of course, you have to check out Niagara Falls. -Scandinavia - the natural wonders of Norway, Finland and Sweden should not be missed. -Madiera, Portugal - Get the Wonderful Madeira 2004 scenery from Aerosoft, and try one of the most interesting approaches. It goes without saying that you need good mesh to fully enjoy most of these areas.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

"the natural wonders of Norway, Finland and Sweden should not be missed. "Unfortunately they are, in FS9. This area is in serious need of some proper coastlines, improved shapes of lakes, landclass and mesh as well as replacement textures. If you know of any such files, I'd really be interested - I have to say, even though I live in Sweden I don't particularily enjoy flying there in FS because of the crude scenery.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

WOW! I didn't expect such a huge reply. Thanks to everyone for all these choices, that are sure to keep me busy. I look forward to flying to these areas and trying some of the freeware and possibly some payware sceneries. Thanks again,Costas

Guest JimC1702

I fly mostly in the northeastern US. Most VFR flying is done in upstate NY because I live there and know the areas. I'll also fly regional airlines to Boston, New York, Washington, Philly, Baltimore, etc.Jim

Guest kkilo

If you like back country airstrips and VFR flight, nothing is better than central Idaho. In every canyon and valley is another little airstrip to try.