Sign in to follow this  
gura75

Krakow Balice 2012 X.

Hi 
I'm experiencing som strange stuff with Kraków Balice 2012 X. When approaching RWY 25 ILS or RNAV or whatever approach the speed suddenly increases at approximately 1300 ft (BARO). Even thought all settings in FSX are set to custom weather with no winds in order to make it easy. But still the speed increases sharply when turning off auto pilot, papi get white and the nice and smooth approach is messed up. It only happens with this approach. I fly PMDG 737-700. Any suggestion on what can be the problem. Settings in FSX are set to easy in order to practice.

Geir

Couldn't it be an FSX thermal located a few miles before the runway? To me it happened with another airport. Try disabling the file Thermaldescriptions.xml (rename it say into .old) in the main FS folder.

James Goggi

Hi 
I'm experiencing som strange stuff with Kraków Balice 2012 X. When approaching RWY 25 ILS or RNAV or whatever approach the speed suddenly increases at approximately 1300 ft (BARO). Even thought all settings in FSX are set to custom weather with no winds in order to make it easy. But still the speed increases sharply when turning off auto pilot, papi get white and the nice and smooth approach is messed up. It only happens with this approach. I fly PMDG 737-700. Any suggestion on what can be the problem. Settings in FSX are set to easy in order to practice.

Geir

Are you switching off the auto throttle at the same time as the AP?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Are you switching off the auto throttle at the same time as the AP?

yes, alomst at the same time. A/T goes first then A/P. I have seen this done in real 737 flights (youtube). I don't experience this strange thing to happen when flying to other locations. 

-Geir

I only ask, because as you probably know, if the AT goes off and you adjust the throttle lever in any way it will increase in thrust...? Just a thought... BTW, you are correct regarding turning off AT, as a landing should not be conducted with it engaged.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Couldn't it be an FSX thermal located a few miles before the runway? To me it happened with another airport. Try disabling the file Thermaldescriptions.xml (rename it say into .old) in the main FS folder.

Absolutely the correct answer.

The Thermaldescriptions.xml file within the main root folder of FSX has a very strange way of creating/writing thermals ENTIRELY dependant on the default land class & particularly where this changes from one category to another.  This is totally independent of 'add-on sceneries' or 'meshes' etc. 

Thus FSX 'thermals' appear in some very strange locations & generally these are not where one might expect to see them IRL....this is exacerbated by WX engines such as AS2012 etc.

Had we seen an SP2 for FSX then this issue might have disappeared forever....rename the Thermaldescriptions.xml to say:

Thermaldescriptions.xml.bak

& the issue will go away forever.

BTW your WX engine will still create turbulence & bumpy air as it always did before you renamed the above file as these WX effects are in no way connected to the Thermaldescriptions.xml.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Yeah, been there many times (with default scenery) and there is indeed a thermal right before the runway.

I also concur with renaming the thermal xml file. There are a few airports i frequent that have a thermal right in front of the runway. Some that come to mind are KDAL, KPHX, and LSZH. I am sure there are others, but those three have caused some messed up approaches when having the thermal turned on.

I've renamed my thermal xml and let AS2012 take care of any thermals and haven't had any problems since.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I only ask, because as you probably know, if the AT goes off and you adjust the throttle lever in any way it will increase in thrust...? Just a thought... BTW, you are correct regarding turning off AT, as a landing should not be conducted with it engaged.

I appreciate your advice.