Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Visualizing FSX Effects?

I have the FX Tool installed in FSX. I can select an effect to view but when I click on Do Effects nothing happens. How can I visualize the effect?

It seems to me that a long time ago I had some way to visualize the effects out of FSX. Is there a way?

I have the SDK installed but it does not give the step by step usage of the tool.

Thanks, Bob.

You need a freeware program called FXEditor. From memory, it comes as part of a suite of programs which also includes ModelConverterX, but googling it should work. It allows you to create/edit FX files and displays the effect in real time.

Hi Dick. Thanks. I found it. It's what I had on my computer a long time ago. I lost it when my HD crashed some time back and I forgot the name. It works great. I still don't know what the FX Tool does though. Regards, Bob.

Bob, I've found that if you are in the cockpit, the effect is often out of view with the FX Tool.

Easiest way to find it is to go outside into locked spot view and pan around.  If it's a continuous effect like a waterfall, you should see it.  But a one-time effect like a flash may be hard to locate.

John

Bob, I've found that if you are in the cockpit, the effect is often out of view with the FX Tool.

Easiest way to find it is to go outside into locked spot view and pan around.  If it's a continuous effect like a waterfall, you should see it.  But a one-time effect like a flash may be hard to locate.

John

Hi John. Thanks. OK. I'll try that. Regards, Bob.

Like so many MS tools the FX tool is a bit buggy.

Like John the best way to use it is to go to an outside view.

Use the "Show Location" button to show where the centre is. You may need to move this outside of your aircraft (as it will default to 0,0,0 of your aircraft which is typically in the middle somewhere). Show location is a bit buggy so if you move it you may need to turn it off and on again to find it. The indicator is 3 lines intersecting at the location (ie x,y,z lines meeting at the location).

Load the effect, double check to make sure the effect name is in the title bar of the FX Tool. Sometimes it's a bit buggy and may load a previous effect so you may need to do this once or twice.

The effect should occur near the show location marker (depends on any offsets in the effect).

Some effects may only be visible at night (depends on the effect really)

PS. FX Tool is a wee bit buggy.

Click on Do Effect, if it is a one shot effect then you may need to click on Do Effect again to repeat the effect.

www.antsairplanes.com

Hi Anthony. OK. Thanks. I will try that and see if I can get it to work. You are 100% right on some of the tools being buggy along with poorly written instructions. Regards, Bob.

To add to what Anthony wrote, you absolutely MUST change any of the x,y,z locations, even if only a tiny fraction before the effect will display.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill. OK thanks. Maybe I can get this thing working thank to all of you that answered this thread. Regards, Bob.

Thanks to all that answered my thread. It works now. I still like the FX Editor better though. Regards, Bob.