Sign in to follow this  
hawkhero

Nvidia Inspector settings for FS9?

Hi, I have the latest Nvidia Inspector but am not sure what settings I should do. I have a EVGA GTX 460 card. I get some shimmering textures now. I have Mip Map set to 4. I have done a search for settings but they seem to be older. Thanks for any help.

My fs9 settings: http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1917/fs9ni.png

Be aware - at vertical sync, 1/2 refresh rate is used only in combiantion with your FPS locked at 30 with fs9 internal limiter. This is for smoothing, and works great in both, fsx and fs9. But to use this, your monitor refresh rate must be 60MHz, check that before use it. If your monitor refresh rate is not 60MHz, you can:

1. try to calculate 1/2 of your monitor refresh rate and set target fps in fs9 according to that - if monitor refresh rate is 70MHz, set fps target to 35 for example

If you see slideshow after that, in NVIDIA Inspector set vsync to "use the 3d application setting"  and whatewer fps target works best for you

If you get bad performance, you can set SGSS(sparse grid supersampling)to 2x. I have 560ti, SGSS helps with shimmering, in fact - i have no shimmering at 4xSGSS

I don't show most of those options. I have the latest drivers installed. Should I go back to 310.64?

No, there is no difference in fs9 performance. I use FSX too, and i get less shimmering with 310.64, i don't know why. I didn't saw any difference in fs9. 

Ok, i saw that you just added a reply. I'm glad that everything is ok  :good:

Hi Zeljko,

Are you getting image tearing with vsync turned off?

I thought FS9 doesn't suffer from this.  I've never had tearing running FS9 on two different video cards and displays without vsync.  I only use vsync for fsx.

Hi Zeljko,

Are you getting image tearing with vsync turned off?

I thought FS9 doesn't suffer from this.  I've never had tearing running FS9 on two different video cards and displays without vsync.  I only use vsync for fsx.

Hi Maurice,

I'm not sure what you mean - i have vsync set to 1/2 refresh rate, and before that it was on "use the 3d application setting". I never had vsync turned off. Both settings works for me, but vsync to 1/2 + target of 30fps is a little bit better...

Hi Maurice,

I'm not sure what you mean - i have vsync set to 1/2 refresh rate, and before that it was on "use the 3d application setting". I never had vsync turned off. Both settings works for me, but vsync to 1/2 + target of 30fps is a little bit better...

Sorry about that.  What I meant was, do you get image tearing when Inspector is set to "use the 3d application setting"?

Sorry about that.  What I meant was, do you get image tearing when Inspector is set to "use the 3d application setting"?

No, everything is ok, but with vsync 1/2 and target 30fps - it's just smoother

First a correction to what B247NG posted... monitor update frequencies are measured in Hz, not Mhz.

It's not good to recommend people to use 4x SGSS transparency supersampling because there isn't a gfx card on the market yet that can handle that setting in heavy clouds. Well, the Titan may be able...

I find that 4x Multisampling for general antialiasing and 2x SGSS for transparency supersampling gives a nice result that most cards today should handle fine.

Using 4x Multisampling is also very easy on the gfx card so input lag when using TrackIR is improved, at least that's how it feels to me.

First a correction to what B247NG posted... monitor update frequencies are measured in Hz, not Mhz.

It's not good to recommend people to use 4x SGSS transparency supersampling because there isn't a gfx card on the market yet that can handle that setting in heavy clouds. Well, the Titan may be able...

I find that 4x Multisampling for general antialiasing and 2x SGSS for transparency supersampling gives a nice result that most cards today should handle fine.

Using 4x Multisampling is also very easy on the gfx card so input lag when using TrackIR is improved, at least that's how it feels to me.

Yes, my mistake about Hz, that's correct.

But, about 4xSGSS - You don't need Titan for 4xSGSS with FS9(here we were talking about FS9). In FSX i have 2xSGSS, but in FS9 i have 4xSGSS and my 560ti can handle that without any problems.

And if you read my post carefully, i recommended 2xSGSS if performance is not good with 4xSGSS, becouse @@hawkhero has GTX460   

I'd like to belive that a 560ti can handle 4xSGSS, so I challenge you to prove it ;)

Below are two screen captures of Nvidia Inspectors Sensor Monitoring window. I ran FS9 in full screen at 1920x1200 32bit color.

I set the weather to "Major Thunderstorm" and took measures at two different airports. First one small default (EFKK) and then at a fully populated Aerosoft LFPG (100% WOAI traffic).

You see the two bumps in the graph showing GPU usage at the two airports. As you see, size of airport and traffic don't matter much. It's the AA setting that has the most impact.

This picture shows the result of 4xMultisampling and 2xSGSS:

2xSGSS_zps097274c3.jpg

Max GPU usage was 59% so well within margins. No stutters and silky smooth.

Now for 4xMultisampling and 4xSGSS:

4xSGSS_zpsc2935325.jpg

GPU usage is now maxed out and fps drops and stuttering is the result.

During the measuring I looked around in all directions to get a good avarage result.

This is how my GTX285 performs and I'd like to see the 560ti (and others) stay well below 100% GPU usage with 4xSGSS in a major thunderstorm.

@@neumanix, ok, i'll do this when i have time later and post the results. I run 1932x1080x32 full screen, and i use REX clouds and ASE for weather. And i didn't saw any fps drop or stutters so far. Ok, i must admit that in the last time i use FSX mostly, but i used last year FS9 much more with this settings.

You set "Major Thunderstorm" in FS9 weather engine or some external weather application? 

Interesting.  I'll give 1/2 refresh rate a try.  So far I have it set to use 3d application and fps locked @ 60 in FS9.