Sign in to follow this  
Busterbvi2

FSX RE INSTALL HELP

Greetings to the forum.

It looks as though I am going to have to bite the bullet and do a fresh install of FSX.  For no apparent reason, last week it refused to load, I get the opening splash screen for about 20 secs and then nothing (CTD ?)  I have tried every fix known and still no luck.   Never done a FSX re install before so I have some questions for the experts.

I have AppCrash installed and nothing shows up in that nor in Event Viewer, very strange !

Of course I will back up all my add on aircraft on to a external hard drive, all my scenery is on CD.  I will back up the SOUND file, EFFECTS, TEXTURES and GAUGES files also to re install.

Are there any other essential files I should back up and re install to preserve the full functionality of my add on planes when re installed ?

Advice welcome.

Thanks, Buster.

The only thing that I can tell you is that Its not just simply a matter of putting the FSX CD Rom in your disk drive and clicking on FSX.exe. If you are sure you have to do it then it is worth considering doing it right!

There are a couple of good guides to installing FSX from scratch! The one I used in over on SIMFORUM. Here is the link:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html

Have read throw it before you do anything. If you have not installed FSX before for optimal performance then you are in for a ride but if you have good hardware the performance gains are great.

There is also an FSX installation guide here on AVSIM that should not be difficult to find.

You may already know all of this.

Alterantively it may be an opertune time to switch to Prepar3D 1.4 for better reliabilty and performance on weaker hardware. So I have heard!

Before going through the chore of uninstalling/reinstalling, I would simply rename your FSX.cfg to FSX.orig and then restart FSX and let the config rebuild. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the input chaps, appreciated. I deleted the contents of the FSX.cfg file, still failed to load, no joy, tried uiautomationcore.dll fix, no joy, tried every other fix I could find on Avsim etc, no joy, swapped out sound card with latest drivers, no joy, PC is clean and everything up to date, all other games working fine including FS9. All hardware good including new memory.

I recall I did a reinstall with FS9 many years ago, I backed up all my add ons but after reinstall, I found that some of them were missing gauges, sound, smoke, lights, etc because I did not back up and reinstall the SOUND, EFFECTS and GAUGES folders.

My chosen method of backing up is to simply copy & paste onto an external HD which I keep in my office so if my PC goes up in smoke or the house burns down, while being homeless and destitute, I will still have an off site backup safe that I can cherish and put next to my begging bowl !

This is what I have backed up so far in separate folders.

FSX complete.

Simobjects

Sound

Effects

Gauges

I don't want to simply re install a full backup because the rogue file or cause will be sucked into the backup and pumped back in to FSX on reinstallation only to corrupt the fresh FSX install. So, having learned from my FS9 experience, here is my thinking, if I have all the vital folders backed up to ensure full functionality of my aircraft after reinstall I plan to dump FSX and do a fresh installation, run it and fly something, re boot, put back the utilities, FSUIPC etc., then add in the old SOUND, EFFECTS & GAUGES folders, one by one. Then reinstall each add on aircraft one by one, run & fly everyone as I go, rebooting each time. As far as I can I will reinstall aircraft and scenery etc. from the original media. The ones I have modified (with Steve's sounds & new textures etc. ) I will shove back in from the backup. When everything is functional and stable, I then put my FSX.cfg tweaks back in.

I am using FSX Deluxe version which includes Acceleration and SP2, on Win 7 x 64 bit (Home) Having looked at the files on disk 1 and 2, I don't see a repair option, am I overlooking something ?

I have really had it with FSX, its always been a headache up until I added Kostas Cfg tweaks then I finally got it humming nicely. Now this has happened, I had thought that this my be an opportune time to forget FSX and move on to P3D, I have been patiently waiting for LM to release the 64 bit version but it seems this my take quite some time yet so I have no choice but to soldier on with FSX for now.

What are your thoughts on my cunning plan here chaps ?

Also, If I get the 32 bit version of P3D, do you think it will be upgradeable to 64 bit later, I doubt it somehow as it will be a complete re write of the software, surely ?

Thanks & regards to all.

Buster.

Greetings to the forum.

It looks as though I am going to have to bite the bullet and do a fresh install of FSX.  For no apparent reason, last week it refused to load, I get the opening splash screen for about 20 secs and then nothing (CTD ?)  I have tried every fix known and still no luck.   Never done a FSX re install before so I have some questions for the experts.

I have AppCrash installed and nothing shows up in that nor in Event Viewer, very strange !

Of course I will back up all my add on aircraft on to a external hard drive, all my scenery is on CD.  I will back up the SOUND file, EFFECTS, TEXTURES and GAUGES files also to re install.

Are there any other essential files I should back up and re install to preserve the full functionality of my add on planes when re installed ?

Advice welcome.

Thanks, Buster.

Before you re-install, try this - download http://chicagoflightsfsx.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=6

unzip it to your "<%user%>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\" folder.

1. - Double click FSXLog.exe, hit the analyze button (If there are errors in the Logbook, it will find them.).

2. - Click the "Backup" button (creates a backup of you logbook.bin).

3. - Click the "Recover" button.

4. - Now, try to start FSX

5. report back results  :P 

If that don't work, you don't need to reinstall fsx. You can use "repair" function. I could write you detailed instruction, but i need to know which version of FSX you have

Thanks B247NG, Did all that, no joy !

Buster.

Buster, you have updated your FSUIPC, right? 

You know about this http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/pri-news/fsuipc-requires-replacing-on-all-user-systems-r1305  ???

Here is the most recent, updated version http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

Somebody had a same problem recently becouse he didn't updated FSUIPC. If this is not the case, i don't have other ideas... 

OK now this is really doing my head in ! With FSX installed, I insert disk 1 and the only option is to install so I tried a over the top install in the hope that it would re write the files as suggested else ware but no joy. So tried to uninstall from control panel, just got this message

"A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Windows\installer\FSXX.msi"

So, deleted everything FSX manually including remnants, re booted, all gone. Inserted disk 1 and now only the "Repair" or "Modify" option comes up. Went with Repair and installed onto a new empty drive. Had a look at the folders, all looking good, clicked the new shortcut, and ..... would you believe it....... still the effin same !!

So it appears that something outside FSX is stopping it loading, what's all this network error nonsense ??

Any ideas chaps before I lob the entire issue out the window !?

Cheers, Buster. 

Take a look here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Problem_Resolving_(FSX)#FSX_will_not_start

When you instaled fsx, how you did that? Did you started fsx and restarted your PC before SP1 installation, and after that again before SP2 installation? And how you installed the right simconnect version?

Here you have detailed instruction how to install fsx in the right way(just scroll down a little bit untill you see "FSX Installation"): http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html

Try Flight1 registry repair tool too: http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exe

I think this should be done yesterday, before re-install...

If that not work, there are too many possibilities, and i don't have other ideas - corupt files(fsx or system), wrong windows settings, bad fsx installation, or even malware. In this case, i suggest you to do complete re-install, windows 7 + FSX, folowing two guides.

- You need to folow Nick N guide to tune your Windows 7

- use that instructions above to install fsx and simconnect in corect way, it's very important step

- use Word Not Allowed's guide to set your FSX

This will give you the best performance and stability with FSX.

1.Nick's guide can be found on simforums http://www.simforums.com/Forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187

2. For Word Not Allowed's guide, just google for "Word Not Allowed's Flight Simulation World" to find his blog

You must take your time for this, read carefully and apply all settings like is described in this guides. FSX is a simulator, and you must loose some time to set it. But after that, use Acronis True Image 2011 for example - to make a backup when you are satisfied with settings and performance, so you don't need to do this again. If something go wrong, you can revert to the last working version in 15-20min

ok since you have tried everything  and about to throw out your pc  have you tried the restore option to an earlier  date before you had  this  trouble  worked  for  me  on my  issue i had  with fsx. Or have you made a back up at all  to an external if  you have  just a matter of  re installing again

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Haven't had time to tackle the issue this week but now I am back at it so here's an update.  Bat the bullet in uninstalled FSX, used the Microsoft Fix It App to get rid of the remnants. Did a fresh install including SP2 & Accel that's all included on the discs. Ran CC Cleaner a few times, had System Mechanic have a look around, AV and malware scans, all good. Whole system is up to date.  Would you effin believe it, still no joy, FSX wont load, now I notice FS9 is doing the same thing ! other games are effected as well, Formula 1, Dirt 3 etc.  The only sim / game that still works is BOB / CLOD.  All my other normal computing apps work fine.

I don't think it is a OS issue, but it might be,  I did a non destructive re install of W7 about 2 months ago and it has been perfect, up till now ! but something is damaged or corrupt to stop the sims / games loading.

I'm stumped, any ideas chaps ?

Cheers, Buster.

suppose you havnt  tried  the windows  restore option as I suggested  since  this  is  probably  the last  option before doing  a complete  re install of  everything  unless others  have  better  solutions or  have you got  a back up of everything  on a  external drive?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Did a fresh install including SP2 & Accel that's all included on the discs.

Hopefully you did not install SP2.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Make sure you have the latest Microsoft Visuals 2005, 2008, and 2010 installed as FSX and Acceleration only installs the first version of MSV 2005. Here's the latest MSV 2005 - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26347.  When FSX and FSX add-ons run, they look for a certain version of MS Visuals.  If not there, the app will not run.  Here's the latest 2008 - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26368 and here is the latest 2010 version - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26999.  Run Windows Update to make sure there are no additional updates.  MSV's are not backward compatible.

FSX and FSX add-ons also require Microsoft.net versions 1.1 through 4.5.  If you just have FSX and Acceleration installed, you need to make sure you have Microsoft.net Version 1.1 and 2.0 installed.  Most add-ons will require version 2.0 and higher.  They are usually installed when you install FSX/Acceleration or any add-on but, to be sure installation was correct, you might try using the Microsoft.net tool to verify installation and the latest updates - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx.  Windows 7 and above install the latest Microsoft.net automatically when Windows is installed.

If you continue to have a CTD, you should download and run AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html and copy and paste the results of the latest crash here.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM