Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Just pondering...

Hmmm, I wonder why Boeing designed the very rear end of the fuselage with a kinda squared-off end instead of the rounded-off end that we see on every other Boeing type? Anyone know?

Must have been trendy at the time. The MD-11 and MD-80s also had the "beaver tail". But the didn't put it on the 787. Guess it didn't have a practical purpose.

At the time of designing the 777, the tail cone was "flattened" for better aerodynamics and less drag. However, due to costs of maintenance regarding the APU exhaust, the savings were found to be either minimal or just not cost effective at all.

As you can see in this pic, a 777 wingtip took out the tail cone of this 777. The structural integrity of the APU exhaust was compromised and had to be replaced.... which cost a lot more than a straight duct monel exhaust.

Posted Image

Sent from my LT30at

At the time of designing the 777, the tail cone was "flattened" for better aerodynamics and less drag. However, due to costs of maintenance regarding the APU exhaust, the savings were found to be either minimal or just not cost effective at all.

As you can see in this pic, a 777 wingtip took out the tail cone of this 777. The structural integrity of the APU exhaust was compromised and had to be replaced.... which cost a lot more than a straight duct monel exhaust.

a2adunaq.jpg

Sent from my LT30at

Thanks for sharing,

How often do these collisions occur?

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Thanks for sharing,

How often do these collisions occur?

They don't happen very often at all. This one was a case of a Ramp Rat not watching his Wingman during pushback.

During Heavy Checks the APU exhaust is checked for cracks, wear, etc. That's when it can start getting expensive to replace them due to wear/cracking that is not found as often on straight exhausts.

Sent from my Sony Xperia TL