Sign in to follow this  
Mudhendriver

FS9 Scenery settings/Scenery.cfg question

I've got the amazing KPDX (Portland) scenery/airfield from FZ, but I've been getting routine (every flight now) CTDs approximately 18-20nm miles out.  I've read posts referencing similar issues and the recommendation is to put the KPDX scenery/landclass number 1 priority in scenery settings within FS9.  The only thing I've got above it is AES.  I've even experimented with putting it above AES and I still get the CTDs.

When I look in scenery.cfg, I noticed that the FZ scenery/landclass is area 144/145 and layer 153/154 resepectively.  How can it occupy a #1 priority in FS9 settings but be way down at the bottom within scenery.cfg? 

Should I put it higher (lower area/layer number)?  It looks like everything would have to be re-ordered/numbered if I make that change...is that correct?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rich Perry

Have you tried to re-install or download a fresh one.  Maybe there's a possibility the download got corrupted or the installation didn't go 100%?

Hopefully someone who knows about scenery settings and cfg can help out.

My first piece of advice would be to forget the scenery.cfg and make all your changes in the Scenery Library.

When I look in scenery.cfg, I noticed that the FZ scenery/landclass is area 144/145 and layer 153/154 resepectively. How can it occupy a #1 priority in FS9 settings but be way down at the bottom within scenery.cfg?

The Area.nn has no affect on priority and is simply an index number assign by FS when you add a new scenery.

The Layer=nn dictates scenery priority in reverse order, meaning the higher number has higher priority.

Layer=01 will be at the bottom of the Scenery Library.

The layer=nn entry for the highest priority Area in the Scenery Library will depend on how many entries you have in the Scenery Library.

Trust me, manually editing the scenery.cfg is a quick way to muck things up and FS handles that process just fine, without error.

As for your CTD issue, do you have any other addons for the area such as Ultimate Terrain or Columbia River Gorge?

Do you use the Silver Wings textures?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Joe

Good advice.  I do have UT and FlyTampa KSEA as well.  I recall Opa (RIP) mentioned something about a conflict with KSEA and FZ KPDX landclass.  Not sure if that's the issue...my KSEA scenery is fine...after adding flatten.bgl to it. 

Just to mention, I have no problems at KPDX or departing it...mainly I get the CTDs on the MOXEE6 arrival from the south/southeast of KPDX @18-20nm out.  Bloody shame when it happens, like after a 3+ hr flight. 

Word on spex.  i7 at 3.6Ghz/GTX 285 Nvidia/6GB DDR3/Raptor 10000rpm HD/etc etc/Vista 64.  Almost every airport/aircraft add-on known to FS9/run with AS6.5/REX/UT/GE/FSGenesis and Squawkbox.  Running SweetFX and hHancer settings. Lots of tweaks. Sim runs like a dream.

Thanks

Rich

When I look in scenery.cfg, I noticed that the FZ scenery/landclass is area 144/145 and layer 153/154 resepectively. How can it occupy a #1 priority in FS9 settings but be way down at the bottom within scenery.cfg?

Should I put it higher (lower area/layer number)? It looks like everything would have to be re-ordered/numbered if I make that change...is that correct?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rich Perry

There is a utility file called fsscenery, you run it after adding new sceneries and it will fix the numbering problem.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

In my experience, CTDs like that are almost exclusively caused by corrupted files. Start pulling out scenery areas until the problem stops, then reinstall from scratch the last scenery area you removed... that should solve the problem.