Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jtwhite

SketchUp and FSX

I havent't dug around on the forums, so I don't know the current attitude about using SketchUP to create models for FSX. However, I have used it and it really does simplify creating buildings and such for FSX. The second reason I post this is simply because I think this model of my flight sim setup looks pretty cool when rendered.

It really would be worth your time to get Sketchup and learn how to use it. Very shallow learning curve. And the tutorial I found on the Web (see link below) is excellent and tells you everything you need to know. I create stuff, then use Airport Design Editor to place them .... and they are all free.

Tutorial:

http://www.calclassic.com/sketchup_tutorial.htm

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey, bring up good topic sketchup pretty useful in fsx made buildings quickly for my area.

Nice looking virtual simpit!

As far as a shallow learning curve, that is subjective. I am fluent in Gmax and 3DSMax, yet I do not find Sketchup intuitive at all, but it's nice that it is a modeling alternative for those getting into FS design.

Sketch-up okay for beginners if they want to make scenery buildings.  Still, gmax probadly the program to learn or 3dmax to make planes, and more complex items.  Sketch-up texturing engine is its weakness to me. 

One simple use for Sketchup that is terrific is to read in a model from the massive Google Warehouse (GoogleEarth - highlight the model and click) - for example, some airport buildings in Rio - and either just download the Collada (.dae format) model directly into Model Converter X - or the Sketchup version (.skp format) and make simple Sketchup  changes like deleting model details that aren't of interest and then converting to .dae format. Model converter X has some great features in their Massive Texture editor to deal with the texture names and sizes. I have populated some airports with some great shared models using that approach.

Just rebuild the object and make my own texture to avoid problems. Making textured is 80% of the work involved.