Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimh

Terrain.dll Problem

Hi,

I don't suppose this is a DX10 problem, but I could sure use a hint or some help.

Last time I posted, I was reinstalling FSX etc., after a flirtation with SweetFX.

I've been flying only in UK and Europe, lately, so installed FSG Ultimate, GEX/EU, UT/EU, FTX England and Wales, UK2000 Airports, and photo scenery for Scotland.  So far all ok.

I had trouble installing Alderney from Earth Simulations, and getting it to appear in FSX.  It appeared to be an "uninstalling" problem, so I removed all entries for ES in the registry.  I reinstalled Alderney, and checked that all was well in a short flight  over the island.  All ok so far.

I then installed Guernsey, the Scillies, and Treescapes 4. 5, 6, and 8.

FSX will now load up to 70%, and crash out with a Terrain.dll error in the Event Log.  I've tried disabling ES, uninstalling ES, and copying terrain.dll from a backup, all with the same result.  FSX will start up, and load scenery to 71%, then crash out.

Sorry about the long description, but these are the details.  I hope someone can help.

Hopefully, Jim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Disable all the addon scenery in the Scenery Library that you added.  Run FSX.  If the problem still exists, then you might have a problem with your FSX.cfg.  If no problems, then start enabling any addon scenery 2-3 at a time until the problem reoccurs.  There could also be a problem with your install of UT/EU but that will be discovered if you disable it in the Scenery Library as I discussed.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

I've tried your advice, but no luck.  I've allowed FSX to make a new cfg, but no difference.

Loading a flight, default flight, any flight, stops at 71%.  I've been able to see very briefly, that i'ts trying to load/read Autogen.

I've now replaced the entire contents of FSX\Autogen, with those of a True Image backup.

Still using the new basic fsx.cfg, I can now get into a flight.  I'll now try to work back step by step.

Thanks again for your help.

Best, Jim

have you tried to put in a fsx cd again and choose for repair.

sometimes it helps , it takes away some errors.

Thanks, Paula.

I've never tried a repair from an FSX CD.  I'll remember that option.

I think I'm ok now.  I was focused on Terrain.dll, until I got a glimpse of "loading autogen" or something similar.  Replacing the contents of FSX\Autogen seems to have solved the problem.

I'm now on my normal fsx.cfg, and have re-enabled all my addons except ES, test flying along the way.

Right now I am backing up my FSX drive, having backed up a parallel C drive.

Regards, Jim