Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Randalicous

Bit of advice when TOD

Hello.

If I'm reaching the TOD and I'm in controlled airspace. Should i just decend with the fmc. Call the controller to inform them I want to decend, or will the controller call me a little before TOD and give me authority to decend at my discretion.

Thanks

Steve

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

One of three things should happen:

You'll get a call saying 'When ready, descend FLNNN', so you can descend when you're at your TOD. Or you'll get a call saying 'Descend FLNNN' in which case you go down. Or... you tell the controller that you're approaching TOD and hope they take the hint! (you can always request a descent)

Mike

The rule is simple, in controlled airspace you can't deviate from your assigned level and route without the controller granting permission (unless it's an emergency!).

What Mike said is pretty much spot on, you generally get one of three options:

• "Descend FLxx, level by WAYPT" - start your descent now
  • "When ready, descend FLxx, level by WAYPT" - start your descend when you want, the controller may also ask you to "report leaving" your current FL
  • "Request descent"  - you contact the controller telling them you are ready to descend, they will then clear you to do so, subject to traffic and airspace considerations